• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Helo loses tailwheel at Wall Street helo pad

Status
Not open for further replies.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
This is how to ruin a great day in one of the world's greatest cities. Scroll down for the video. Looks real cool, the NYC background and all, then, your day goes down the toilet.

http://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zon...el-while-taxiing-at-nycs-wall-street-heliport

Maybe the HAC was used to taxing a R and forgot about the little round rubber donut way in back. I mean, it isn't like they don't have some experience taxing in confined spaces.

Pags

N/A
pilot
This is how to ruin a great day in one of the world's greatest cities. Scroll down for the video. Looks real cool, the NYC background and all, then, your day goes down the toilet.

http://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zon...el-while-taxiing-at-nycs-wall-street-heliport

Maybe the HAC was used to taxing a R and forgot about the little round rubber donut way in back. I mean, it isn't like they don't have some experience taxing in confined spaces.
Ugh. VERY few folks out there with 60R and 60S time so I doubt that was it. Not sure what you mean by experience taxiing in confined spaces. Most of the taxiing I did in confined spaces had the benefit of a director.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
I saw that video earlier, definitely an "oh shit" moment. Just goes to show how even the "simplest" and "easiest" evolution can go to hell in a matter of seconds.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
... Not sure what you mean by experience taxiing in confined spaces. Most of the taxiing I did in confined spaces had the benefit of a director.
Of course you had someone directing you on a Navy ship. But didn't you have a pretty damn good idea where all the extremities of your aircraft were? You just trusted the dude and never felt like you had better know where the wheels are or the blade tips? I have three guys provide guidance when I pull into a gate. I always make sure I know where my wing tips and tail are. ( Oh God help me, I better not now clip a wing when I go to work tomorrow.) Couple weeks ago I had an occupied gate at ORD and was told by ground to pull into a slushy holding pad. I didn't do good enough job as I am such a pussy. Just wasn't comfortable nuzzling up to the plane next to me. I left too much space and a B777 could not get by on the taxiway. So out I go and just keep taxing in a circle around O'Hare. FO thought they had forgotten us and wanted to put in a call. I told him 'No". I was happy driving down taxiways with a center stripe until my gate opened.

BTW, what about the comment that the aircrew should have been clearing the tail, possibly on a gunners belt leaning out the door? SOP?

croakerfish

pilot
BTW, what about the comment that the aircrew should have been clearing the tail, possibly on a gunners belt leaning out the door? SOP?

Before turning so tightly that the tail just swings around the mast, wait until you get that "tail clear." If you just say "nose right" as you're hitting the pedal, you obviously don't give your guys a chance to point out shit like this.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Of course you had someone directing you on a Navy ship. But didn't you have a pretty damn good idea where all the extremities of your aircraft were? You just trusted the dude and never felt like you had better know where the wheels are or the blade tips? I have three guys provide guidance when I pull into a gate. I always make sure I know where my wing tips and tail are. ( Oh God help me, I better not now clip a wing when I go to work tomorrow.) Couple weeks ago I had an occupied gate at ORD and was told by ground to pull into a slushy holding pad. I didn't do good enough job as I am such a pussy. Just wasn't comfortable nuzzling up to the plane next to me. I left too much space and a B777 could not get by on the taxiway. So out I go and just keep taxing in a circle around O'Hare. FO thought they had forgotten us and wanted to put in a call. I told him 'No". I was happy driving down taxiways with a center stripe until my gate opened.

No taxiing of RW onboard ships.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Fuck! That hurts. No SA on where the tail wheel was. Glad there was no ground resonance induced airframe damage. Probably a Class C. Like everything in this business its the little things that bite you.

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
Ugh. VERY few folks out there with 60R and 60S time so I doubt that was it. Not sure what you mean by experience taxiing in confined spaces. Most of the taxiing I did in confined spaces had the benefit of a director.

But there certainly are plenty of Fox/Hotel guys who turned Sierra. That being said, they've had a few years to figure out the tail wheel situation. Feet aren't *supposed* to hang out unless you're ferrying around SF types. Does it happen otherwise? Absolutely. I wouldn't put a ton of blame on the AW with his feet hanging. There was another AW on the other side without his feet hanging out and, undoubtedly, there was a verbal agreement between the two AWs that the feet-dangler would be responsible for the right side. Feet dangler would have had to stick his head down under the aircraft to see that shit coming. Feet dangling was not a causal factor.

Sometimes shit just happens. Could have happened to any of us.

shit-happens-1zoal22.png

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
No taxiing of RW onboard ships.
Really? OK, so learning has occurred. I always thought helos would taxi on a big deck gator or CV. Have to admit, I don't recall seeing it on my CV cruises. Why is it? Is there a chance that ship movement might cause a gyroscopic effect on the helo?

sickboy

pilot
Really? OK, so learning has occurred. I always thought helos would taxi on a big deck gator or CV. Have to admit, I don't recall seeing it on my CV cruises. Why is it? Is there a chance that ship movement might cause a gyroscopic effect on the helo?

Not sure exactly why, but I was always told that it had something to do with the possibility of the ship exceeding the roll over angle in a turn. Same reason we don't do anything at red deck.

Status
Not open for further replies.