• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Heads up...AOCS All Hands Reunion 27-28SEP19.

zipmartin

Never been better
pilot
Contributor
I was the OIC of an officer programs recruiting activity. Had a chance couple times to take AOC applicants to Pcola for what was called a VIP trip.

It was called a "NAVIP" trip (Naval Aviation Very Important Person) when I went in Nov. of 75. The DI crashing through the door screaming was an eye-opener. A guy in my AOCS class did his NAVIP trip the weekend prior to reporting to P-cola. He just stayed there and checked in Tuesday morning. SSgt Penn recognized him from his NAVIP trip, and even though he wasn't our class DI, always singled him out and called him NAVIP til graduation.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I think it stopped soon after you attended. My brother was early 1982 and I was early 1983 and we didn't have this strip.
Well, can't deny what you experienced. But I was a recruiter 84-86 and we sent folks on NAVIPs. I chaperoned couple times.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
I don’t recall NAVIP during my time, 12-86, but that doesn’t mean much. I came directly to AOCS from the enlisted ranks.

I do remember having to box this giant Jethro Bodine type fellow who had really long arms. Just to hit him once meant that I had to suffer three or four hits. The old boxing instructor kept yelling “get inside...take his hits...he isn’t hurting you.” I did not march back a champion that night, he pretty much did a Jaccard tenderizer job on me.

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
This AOCS stuff got me thinking. Before I enlisted I went to college for a semester. During that time I had the opportunity to fly in a Navy recruiting aircraft. It absolutely wasn’t a T-34, but I do think it was some kind of two or four seat Grumman civilian ship painted in Navy colors. Was (or is this still) a common thing? This would have been in the late ‘70’s.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
This AOCS stuff got me thinking. Before I enlisted I went to college for a semester. During that time I had the opportunity to fly in a Navy recruiting aircraft. It absolutely wasn’t a T-34, but I do think it was some kind of two or four seat Grumman civilian ship painted in Navy colors. Was (or is this still) a common thing? This would have been in the late ‘70’s.

It might have been a Yankee (AA-1). USNA apparently had a couple back in the day. Not sure if there were other places that had them (or AA-5s). The Yankee was a two-seater, the other AA-5 models (AA-5, AA-5A, AA-5B...and later on in the early '90's, the AG-5B) were all 4-seaters.

If it had a sliding canaopy and a low-wing, it was probably an AA-x.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Not familiar with the program before the T-34Bs I experienced. During my time recruiting the neighboring USMC PLC recruiters had a new Mooney. White with red and gold stripe. Very classy.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Well, can't deny what you experienced. But I was a recruiter 84-86 and we sent folks on NAVIPs. I chaperoned couple times.
This is the first time I've ever heard of this. I was thinking maybe it was because I was out of Hawaii and the distance/cost was too great but my brother was out of Virginia so that's probably not it.

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
It might have been a Yankee (AA-1). USNA apparently had a couple back in the day. Not sure if there were other places that had them (or AA-5s). The Yankee was a two-seater, the other AA-5 models (AA-5, AA-5A, AA-5B...and later on in the early '90's, the AG-5B) were all 4-seaters.

If it had a sliding canaopy and a low-wing, it was probably an AA-x.
Thanks for the information it was some kind of AA-x model but I doubt it was Naval Academy...I wouldn’t be something they were interested in! In any case, it was a fun flight.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I believe the Yankees were at their flying club. But like I said, I'm not sure if other districts might have also procured Gulfstream aircraft.

CAMike

None
Contributor
Any updates to share from those in attendance this weekend? I wish I could have gone!
Did they have the Dilbert Dunker operating all day for those wanting to do a little drinking and swimming?