• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Heads up...AOCS All Hands Reunion 27-28SEP19.

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
Did you get the separations clerk at PSD to document your EMI on that?
OK, OK, OK...I have a plan...if the DIs attempt to make me do EMI at the AOCS reunion, I’ll DOR...and then when the AOCS reunion is over, I’ll un-DOR.

I’m a freaking genius.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
This is going to spur one of those anxiety dreams, you know the ones where you wake up and you think you're still in college and about to graduate and the exam is tomorrow and you haven't been to class in the last 6 months...

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
OK, OK, OK...I have a plan...if the DIs attempt to make me do EMI at the AOCS reunion, I’ll DOR...and then when the AOCS reunion is over, I’ll un-DOR.

I’m a freaking genius.
Unlike today’s OCS, there is no unDORing at AOCS.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
This is going to spur one of those anxiety dreams, you know the ones where you wake up and you think you're still in college and about to graduate and the exam is tomorrow and you haven't been to class in the last 6 months...

I actually had a class like that. It was my last semester during my senior year and I went a couple of times and then stopped going to class. I'm not sure if I made it to the final. Fast-forward several years when I was in the Navy and I would have that dream. The problem was when I woke up, I really had no recollection of whether I truly made it to the final. I eventually came across my transcripts at some point (probably in my OMPF) and looked up the grade. I got a B, but I'm still not convinced that proves I made it to the final exam.

It will be a mystery for the ages.

Pags

N/A
pilot
I actually had a class like that. It was my last semester during my senior year and I went a couple of times and then stopped going to class. I'm not sure if I made it to the final. Fast-forward several years when I was in the Navy and I would have that dream. The problem was when I woke up, I really had no recollection of whether I truly made it to the final. I eventually came across my transcripts at some point (probably in my OMPF) and looked up the grade. I got a B, but I'm still not convinced that proves I made it to the final exam.

It will be a mystery for the ages.
Sounds like it was a good semester

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Class 12-79. Ssgt Blyth. Chief DI Gunny O'Donnell. He seems to be on the list of attendee.
Yes, old AOCS in the bifurcated days of OCS was a good bit harder. No corfam (sic) shoes. Shoes were polished to a high gloss (not flight boots) and you wore them. Real brass, not anodized. Completely shaved heads. Rifle run was a bitch. You actually ran to the Armory and back along the beach 5 miles min. We had a "support" van follow for those that fell out. It was a jeopardy event. It could get you booted out. Black flag simply meant no run or motivational PT. Morning PT went on as sked. The obstical course included the high wall with rope, IIRC 10-12 foot. And the 6 or 8 foot wall you got over on your own. It was timed. If you didn't have the time by outpost you were done. Same with timed cross country run that was 1.5 miles. No track.
Rose garden, candidate band, sword manual, office entry night, out post shenanigans, boxing smoker, wrestling tourney, OCS club, real silver dollar salutes, all in effect.

Back in the day, anyone going to AOCS got an all expense paid trip to Pcola after final select, before swearing in. For most of us that was months before shipping out. You got a weekend to go to nami, run the x-country and O course, meet a couple candidates and the Chief DI. You knew exactly what you were getting into. That is also where you got the nami whammy, before shipping out and getting your head shaved. That stopped in the late 80s I think. That is why DORs went through the roof. All they saw was Pressure Point.

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
...boxing smoker...
Yeah...I never made it to the boxing smoker...I got knocked out by my 41-86 classmate “Killer Miller”...an NFO AOC...in the first round of eliminations.

Last edited:

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I was the OIC of an officer programs recruiting activity. Had a chance couple times to take AOC applicants to Pcola for what was called a VIP trip. After we ran them thru the o course, cross country run, swim and nami, we took them to Regimental HQ. One pre-outpost candidate and one Candio came in to talk to everyone. The finale was the Chief DI coming in. He always burst into the room screaming "On your feet. On your feet NOW before I toss you out onto the street" All us recruiters, were sitting in the back row. First time the Gunny threw the door open screaming "on your feet", your humble narrator, fleet experience LT, jumped to his feet like pavlov's dog. The embarrassment in front of my fellow LTs was almost worth the Gunny's reaction. It was all he could do to keep from bursting out in laughter. An absolute pro.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
That stopped in the late 80s I think. That is why DORs went through the roof. All they saw was Pressure Point.
I think it stopped soon after you attended. My brother was early 1982 and I was early 1983 and we didn't have this strip.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
.I never made it to the boxing smoker..
I didn't do the Smoker either but we all had to box during PT for the weeks leading up to it. Because we were matched weight, height, etc. I got to box with a former college boxing champion. He was right handed. After the 1st round of the first PT boxing session, they tied his right hand behind his back and only let him use his left. He still quickly beat the shit out of me. He one the smoker for his weight class.

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
...That is why DORs went through the roof. All they saw was Pressure Point.
Yeah...that would make sense regarding the high volume of DORs. I remember my OR showing me the Pressure Point video during the summer of 1986 leading up to AOCS...but I was lucky...my OR [LT. L. Hanseman] was phenomenal. He was a previous AVROC [and previous fleet Hewky Tewk H-2 driver] who gouged me up prior to AOCS regarding everything that was going to happen...heck, he even had me write down [and memorize] a poopie gouge book prior to shipping off to AOCS.