• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Gun thread: M4/CAR-15

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
Any prefs among you regarding a civ market M4/CAR-15? Any diffs in the Colt vice, say a Bushmaster aside from price? I'm not in the market to buy just yet, but I am looking around for the hell of it in the meantime. Just surveying the crowd...

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Goober said:
Any prefs among you regarding a civ market M4/CAR-15? Any diffs in the Colt vice, say a Bushmaster aside from price? I'm not in the market to buy just yet, but I am looking around for the hell of it in the meantime. Just surveying the crowd...

Can't go wrong with Bushmaster - genuine Colt is fine but you pay a premium

Even better, just buy the components you like and build your own!!

Lots of "how-to" articles on www.ar15.com

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Goober said:

Some purists argue always go with the ABCs.... Armalite, Bushmaster, and Colt. That being said, both my AR-15s... the 20" A2 and 16" M-4 are of great quality and I built them myself using parts kits. Rock River Arms is a good name to look at. If I were you, I would head over to www.ar15.com and ask around... very very very knowledgeable group of people.

I'd go with Bushmaster... Colt is overpriced and sometimes they do stupid things like use non-standard parts. They did that with their AR-15s in the 80s to please the anti-gun crowd.

Edited to say: Damn, Chuck beat me to it!

My AR-15 20" A2 is built off a Rock River Arms lower receiver using a kit from J&T Distributing.

AR-15_small.jpg

My AR-15 16" M-4 is built off a Ameetec Arms lower receiver using a kit from Model 1 Sales.

m4.jpg

Building is a GREAT way to learn the internals of how the AR-15 operates.

Goober

None
That was the impression I was getting. Have seen Bushmasters at around $850 w/ the birdcage and bayonet lug that were significantly cheaper than the Colts. Who actually has the MILSPEC contract now (not that it matters - just curious)?

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Goober said:
That was the impression I was getting. Have seen Bushmasters at around $850 w/ the birdcage and bayonet lug that were significantly cheaper than the Colts. Who actually has the MILSPEC contract now (not that it matters - just curious)?

Colt owns the M-4 contract. I think FN has the M-16 contract. I know Bushmaster helps out.

Goober

None
Fly Navy said:
Building is a GREAT way to learn the internals of how the AR-15 operates.

Used to have a decent working knowledge, but it's been a while (1988) since I've stripped one down. Finally made it the last few years past the "macaroni and cheese" years and reached that point where I have some money for toys. :)

Goober

None
Fly Navy said:
If I were you, I would head over to www.ar15.com and ask around... very very very knowledgeable group of people.
Very nice site and sure to answer just about any question. Thanks guys!

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
If you're looking to buy the whole setup, Web Arms is a very good place to buy from. I have bought 2 rifles and a shotgun from them, service is good, prices are good, and they have a wide selection.

Status
Not open for further replies.