• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

[GUN] Remington Model 1853

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Anyone on these here boards familiar with Civil War era rifles and weaponry? If so I need your help.

I was perusing through my grandfather's old gun collection which includes a Colt Commander .45, a Browning 6mm pistol, a Remington Fieldmaster .22, and a Colt model 1917 revolver; all of which I hope to own someday. Anyway, back on topic. I came across a Remington muzzle-loader during my browsing and I would like to know some history behind the model. It was goverment issued since it has the initials "U.S." stamped on the buttplate and just behind the hammer assembly. It is also stamped with what the year 1853 aft of the hammer. It has "Remington" stamped in front of the hammer, as well as it place of manufacture, Herkimer, New York. At the muzzle, the barrel is approximately 17mm in diameter and has no other identifying markings beyond what was mentioned above. Oh, and it also has a compartment in the buttstock which I have no idea what its purpose is. I'll post pictures as soon as I figure out how.

:):)Any help is appreciated.:) :)

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Most likely a Remington Model 1841 .54cal "Mississippi Rifle"

Google will tell you more... such as...
http://www.confederatearmscompany.com/catelog3.html said:
Check to see if you're Model 1841 "Mississippi" Rifle is Factory Made, mixed during alteration or a parts gun.

* Remington Miss. barrels are marked US over JH or JCB or ADK over P. Barrel flat is marked Steel with two cartouches opposite lock.
* Robbins, Kendall & Lawrence Miss. barrels are marked US over JCB or NWP or JAG over P. Two cartouches opposite lock.
* Robbins & Lawrence Miss. barrels are marked US over JH or JPC, JAG, JCB, LBC,GW, or SK over P. Two cartouches opposite lock.
* Tryon Miss. barrels are marked US over JH or NWP over sunken P. Small US on barrel and buttplate. Two cartouches opposite lock.
* Whitney Miss. barrels are marked US over SK, SM, GW, JH, JCB, JPC, or ADK over VP. Marked Steel on barrel flat. Two cartouches opposite lock. This is not to be confused with a small VP, eaglehead found on Harpers Ferry made rifles.
* Harpers Ferry Miss. barrels are marked with a VP and eaglehead at rear of breech. PM over P, AW over P, WW over P all in small letters, No cartouches but JLR or JHK in block letters opposite lock.. Patchbox has three small router holes and no US on buttplate.
* This information was given by Trevor Bovee and me after viewing over hundreds of Mississippi Rifles.
* Patina and consistent wear is the key to all guns. Many Mississippi Rifles were mixed during arsenal alterations, some have Springfield musketoon locks in them since actual use. Snell mississippi rifles can have confederate modifications, etc. Experience is crutial. The more you handle, the more you will learn.
* Get a chance, see my article on "Harpers Ferry 1855 Rifles and their Variations." March 1987 issue of "The Gun Report" Box 111, Aledo, Ill.

/sometimes I worry that I waste too much brainpower on guns.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Really, the muzzle was about .75 inches in diameter. Would that be due to corrosion, or would it be made bigger for expansion of the bullet?

Oh, and a picture.

Attachments

• rifle n sword01.JPG
    rifle n sword01.JPG
    959.5 KB · Views: 66

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Oh, and as mentioned above, I might be coming into the ownership of many of his collection of handguns as much of the rest of my family is uninterested in them. So, does anybody have any experience with the Colt Commander, chambered in .45 ACP? Also, when I was inspecting the "Baby" Browning .25 handgun, I noticed that the slide was extremely hard to pull back. It didn't get stuck on anything, but it took a lot of force to draw it back. Is this normal or a sign of age/misuse/not taking care of it?

Lawman

None
AllAmerican75 said:
Oh, and as mentioned above, I might be coming into the ownership of many of his collection of handguns as much of the rest of my family is uninterested in them. So, does anybody have any experience with the Colt Commander, chambered in .45 ACP? Also, when I was inspecting the "Baby" Browning .25 handgun, I noticed that the slide was extremely hard to pull back. It didn't get stuck on anything, but it took a lot of force to draw it back. Is this normal or a sign of age/misuse/not taking care of it?

Best advice I can give you on inheriting a bunch of weapons that havent seen the light of day in god knows how long.... Take them all as you get them to somebody that you trust that knows what they are doing, ask around your range/store/ect for guys who have worked with old/antique guns. Dont take your chances thinking a weapon is ok and end up screwing it up or god forbid yourself up doing something with it. Or worse, selling a gun that seems worthless but might be worth a good chunk of change, you never know what somebody might have in a box somewhere.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Most of the ones I want to inherit are in pretty good shape, provided they need to be stripped down and cleaned. All the others are rusted-out beyond all repair. But thanks, I hadn't thought of taking them to a gunsmith. Is there a national registry of gunsmiths that can help me find one in my area?