• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

[GUN] My First Gun Thread

Lawman

None
Ok.... the bug finally caught up to me. And After sitting around trying to figure out what I wanted to add to what my mother terms "The Arsenal" I finally decided it was time. It was time to get an AR. So went to my favorite shop with my check book and talked to Jeremy my favorite employee (owners son). Basically I told him I had a problem, and I brought my checkbook hoping he could help me fix it.

So we go over the 15 or so differnt AR setups they have on the shelf and I know, Im spending a little more then I neccesarily need to. But I just wanted one, and I wanted it now. Plus being unsure what I wanted until I felt the right setup I didnt want to risk buying something online only to hate it once I actually delt with it.

Well Im now the proud owner of a Rock River CAR A4. Came with a heavy Barrel, forged A4 Upper reciever (their fancy name for Rail mount w/t detachable handle), and flip up rear sights. Because god knows Im gonna want optics for it. They through in a couple 30 mags since it only came with one. Cant wait to take it to the range this Sunday. When I put it in the locker It didnt take me 20 minutes before I had it back out and broke down, just to get used to the process instead of learning at the range.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Lawman said:
Ok.... the bug finally caught up to me. And After sitting around trying to figure out what I wanted to add to what my mother terms "The Arsenal" I finally decided it was time. It was time to get an AR. ......
I think I'm going to cry .... this is so beautiful .... your first gun thread !!??!!

I may take out adoption papers on you, Law-Dog. Maybe .... :)

p.s. ...... sounds like a decent setup. Just don't fall into the trap of sitting in front of the Saturday morning cartoons on TV in your underwear .... cleaning the AR. Trust me on this one .....

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Nice gun. I'm a RRA fan. I've got one of their Tactical Entry models.

Might I ask why you went with the heavy barrel? Just extra $ in a 16".

metro

The future of the Supply Corps
I'm trying to talk myself out an AR-10 (.308 instead of .223) with a heavy barrel myself. I don't need the damn thing, have no place to really shoot it, but I WANT ONE.

Congrats on the purchase, Law-Dog. Great thing about an AR is, if there's something about it you don't like, you can change it like an infinite number of times/ways.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
The lower receiver on my 20" AR-15 is from RRA. Can't go wrong with them.

Dude, don't go with an AR-10, get a FAL before that. :)

Lawman

None
squeeze said:
Nice gun. I'm a RRA fan. I've got one of their Tactical Entry models.

Might I ask why you went with the heavy barrel? Just extra $ in a 16".

For the barrel. Well they had two identical setups one with, one without. I just liked the balance on the heavy barrel a little better. He didnt charge any differnt for it. Since they were both sticked at 1K.

Yeah 1000 sticker, 1056.50 with tax out the door. Gave me a few extra freebee goodies (bore snake, cleaning supplies, ect).

Lawman

None
Fly Navy said:
Dude, don't go with an AR-10, get a FAL before that. :)

Alot of good things have also been said about the new PTR-91's (G3 Clone). You can get one of those for less then a Grand, and while it would require a bit of tweeking to get as accurate as a AR-10, unless your shooting match you'd probably be happy.

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
Sounds like you have the same as me Lawman. Do you have the quad-rail? I put in a tactical charging handle latch and a hogue grip, the grip really makes a nice difference.

Attachments

• DSC00413.JPG
    DSC00413.JPG
    77.4 KB · Views: 86

Lawman

None
I didnt bother with the Quadrail. Im not a big fan of the forward grip and since at most the only thing Ill stick on the front will be a surefire, Id rather have a single rail mount. Its the standard grip instead of the hogue. Ive trained with the hogue and I didnt care for it as much when it gets wet (we did Patrol Rifle training in the rain... not fun). Same set up for sights as you though, although I dont have 500 to throw around for optics at the moment. Other then that, yeah looks about like the same rifle.

Ill post some pics of it soon as I figure out how to transfer images from my phone to my computer. (*new cell)

freshy

Genius by birth. Slacker by choice.
pilot
I've been thinking about getting an AR-15 for as long as I can remember. Those RRA's look nice. Anyone heard of Stag Arms? They offer a lefty version that looks pretty good, but I don't know if it's really necessary. None of the M-16's ever bothered me with the ejection port on the right side, but mabey that would be nice. Check it outhttp://www.stagarms.com/leftyrifles.html