• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Gun for a gift?

PenguinGal

Can Do!
Contributor
I'm trying to wrap my head around a situation a dear friend is in. Basically, I am looking for the proper etiquette in this situation.

My friend recently starting talking to a guy online. Topic of gun control came up, she expressed interest in learning how to shoot since she has never done so before. He offered to teach her sometime after they meet in person. Moving forward a couple of days, he tells her that he was out shopping and saw a rifle, thought of her, and bought it for her.

What is the proper etiquette for being gifted a gun? Does she need to register it? It was purchased in NC but she lives in VA. How does this work? I regret to say that I don't own any guns, yet, and as such don't know the specifics of how to handle registrations and the like.

GroundPounder

I'm thinking that anyone who purchases a big ticket item for someone that they only know over the internet is a bit suspect, myself. I'd advise the the first meeting take place in a well traveled public space, during the day. I'd also advise her to bring up the topic of 1960's alloy bodied Ferraris to see if he might see one and think of her. :)

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
. . . dittoes to the advice above and go w/ her, packing heat yourself. Jus' sayin'.

Renegade One

None
I'm trying to wrap my head around a situation a dear friend is in. Basically, I am looking for the proper etiquette in this situation.
My friend recently starting talking to a guy online. ...he was out shopping and saw a rifle, thought of her, and bought it for her.
What is the proper etiquette for being gifted a gun?
I agree with the two posts above...too weird to even want to think about how to register it. This is ABNORMAL on-line dating taken to an uncomfortable off-ramp. Tell you friend to walk away.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Not that the above isn't all good advice, but the answer to your question is that the rifle needs to be sent to a FFL (gun store/dealer) in VA who will transfer it to her. Guys that live in VA here can chime in if there's any other requirement (like registration), but I don't think there is any such thing in VA (unlike places like CA). He bought it as a gift and is giving it to her, so it's completely legal (as long as the gun is legal to own). Still weird, but legal.

The FFL will want a fee to process the paperwork (which isn't much). She can expect to pay anywhere from ~$35-$100 for the transfer. If she's paying more than $50, she's probably getting ripped off (or is in California).

exNavyOffRec

I agree that this sounds kind of odd I would wonder about a guy that would buy something like that without actually meeting someone.

My answer is of course without knowing what you friend looks like :)

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Just to clarify, the gun is located in Virginia and she is located in North Carolina?

If the gun is in NC and is being shipped inside the state (a NC to NC address), no FFL is required, the gun can be shipped private citizen to private citizen (only applies to long guns, no handguns)

If the gun is in VA and it needs to go to NC, the two options are to ship it to yourself in the other state or to send it to a FFL. To ship it to yourself it would look like

Me c/o My Uncle
123 My Uncle's Address
Podunk, NC 12345

All the above is taken from the ATF website.

PenguinGal

Can Do!
Contributor
Ya'll are super helpful! Thank you. I agree that the whole situation is a bit...weird...However, I am reserving judgement and just telling my friend to be extra super careful and vigilant. On the bright side, with this gift if he does turn out to be some sort of crazy psycho she can at least protect herself! :)

FlyBoyd

Out to Pasture
pilot
The dude is either really weird or your friend sent some quality pictures to him. I will need you to post said pictures here for me to determine which it is;)

Did he say he was a French model?

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
It's not that the gift is a gun. It's that the gift is being given *at all*.