• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Grunt in a Hornet...God help us all

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grunt

Big thanks to Matt for taking last Friday afternoon to put me through the paces at the NAS Oceana Hornet sim. He gave a full tour of the facility, then put me in the dome sim and showed me the basics after a complete cockpit orientation. After a few minutes of flying in such a way that were I an actual pilot my wings would have been confiscated upon landing, Matt jumped into the linked sim next door and proceeded to kill me about 47 times, most of them with guns! Occasionally he'd hang out in front of me for just enough time for me to lock up on him, then he'd disappear. I think the only good shot I got off was when the sim operator froze his system. On the bright side, I never crashed. That includes my attempt at a carrier landing (I boltered. I was too fast and aimed down the wrong portion of the deck...oopps).

I had a blast and learned more about the Hornet than I could have by reading everything there is to read about it. Matt was patient and coached me well enough that I could enjoy myself because I could find all the important buttons. I'm sure, however, he has already called the folks at P-cola and warned them that I may be there one day and should not even be allowed to SEE the aircraft.

Afterward we conducted a detailed comparison of the differences between Army and Navy O-clubs.

Thanks again, Matt. Hopefully that was step one on my way into a real Hornet cockpit.

Mike the Grunt

O-man

O.K. so next time ponder what your doing by telling stories like that- I'm jelious.... The only sim I ever got to play in is my dads at work. He's a sim instructor for Flightsafty, a company that keeps corpprate types current in there ratings in the Falcon 2000. I can land that thing with no problem- but its just not the same. I wanna try to put one on the big boat. Oh well....

O-man

So Pop tells me that while he never Tryed to do that, some people do it while not thinging. If you are leaving from the gate, and you use thrust reverse to back up- one should slow down by easing of the power because the plane is tail heavy and using breaks will do that. He went on to mention that all the goofing off that they ever do is stuff like flying under the golden gate bridge. It stops trafic and you can see people point.

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
Sounds like Matt showed you a good time. Use that as moto for OCS and beyond.

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.