• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Great Bars, Happy Hours, and Free Food Around the World

Pags

N/A
pilot
concur with @Treetop Flyer etc, all of the things you cite are perfect for flat top, but I have lately started to exclusively cook burgers in the thin patty/supreme crust manner on cast iron, same with steaks. Uniform delicious crust is unparalleled. Cast iron/carbon steel (which is what I think black stone is) is pretty underrated if it can get hot enough.
I think the flattop and cast iron pan basically do the same thing, the major difference is just scope. Do you want to make 4 or 40 burgers at once?

RobLyman

- hawk Pilot
pilot
None
Not necessarily "Around the World", this bar is right under the traffic pattern to KNIP. It's private, so you have to be a member, be a guest, or there must be a public event, but I know someone who can hook you up if you're an Air Warrior.

The view is great.31758
It is friendly to boaters.
And..it is VERY convenient...at least for me.

Pags

N/A
pilot
HIGHLY recommend the De Buyer Mineral B Pro pan. Really excellent steel, lighter than cast iron, seasons really well.
Concur! I also have and love a carbon steel pan. Temp response is faster than cast iron, it's lighter, and it's more non-stick. In fact, I use mine in lieu of a Teflon pan because it's so no-stick and there's no worry about Teflon flaking off into your food.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
It's private, so you have to be a member, be a guest...

I'd always wondered about that place. For the longest time, they had a slip at the end that you could tell usually went to a cruiser, as the size of the sailboat and the amount of crap bolted down to it indicated it wasn't a day-sailor. But after the hurricanes, it looked like that slip was one of the ones that got taken out and, with occasional exception after some dock work had been done, I stopped seeing a cruising boat there anymore.

Long before that, I asked if my dad knew anything about that place, since he had been looking for slips when they came through town on there way to the Canal, and he said it may have just been word of mouth. After that, I figured getting that end slip was always a hookup someone had.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
If you are on I-95, say between Norfolk and Jax, and looking for something that is quick but not fast food, definitely recommend D&H BBQ in Manning, SC (near exit 119 on I-95). Food ranges from borderline unhealthy to aren’t you glad the hospital is next door. Pulled pork BBQ is slow, Slow, SLOW cooked with vinegar / black pepper sauce on the tables, rice, hash (if you don’t know what hash is, don’t ask…), sweet potatoes, spot-on fried chicken, hush puppies, mac & cheese for the little ones. Lima beans and/or collard greens. Pecan pie for dessert.

View attachment 31582

And for an example of how the BBQ is cooked, Rodney Scott’s restaurant down the road in Hemingway is the same and representative of the style and taste.

Happened upon this at the bookstore: "Rodney Scott's World of BBQ". For those Southerners missing the taste of home, it is a great book to have. Fried catfish, chicken perloo, hoppin' john, and of course, black pepper and vinegar sauce.

sickboy

pilot
Ok, I have no idea what this place is called.
Go to the Omicho Market in Kanazawa Japan. Inside, there is a stall near one of the entrances with a golden cow head outside. No seats, just a window and counter top in the hallway.

This places has one guy and a ticket machine, and about ten different options for various Wagyu beef options. Skewers, and various forms of sushi. I had the broiled wagyu nigiri with beginners onion and wasabi, and it was probably the greatest thing that has ever entered my mouth. Two pieces cost me 800 yen (about $8). I’m definitely going back.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
If you are flying through Centennial airport outside of Denver, the Perfect Landing restaurant and bar is excellent. Directly above the FBO, the restaurant overlooks the ramp just on the eastern side of runway 17-35 with the mountains in the distance - quite a nice view at sunset.

View attachment 32740

View attachment 32741

View attachment 32742

View attachment 32743

View attachment 32744
Go there quite often…a good place!

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Midnight Cowboy, ATX
midnight-cowboy-austin-aus0316.jpg

zipmartin

Never been better
pilot
Contributor
Recently, I was back in my hometown of Kewanee, IL for a few hours and had the opportunity to meet up with some old friends for lunch at a bar that was our favorite hangout when I was home from college. The place has changed hands through the years and the current owners have acquired adjacent former warehouse space and expanded. Great atmosphere, great food, good beer selection for a small out-of-the-way place. If you are ever traveling through IL on I-80, it's worth a 12 mile detour to enjoy the turn-of-the-century ambience. http://kewanee.cernos1898.com

If you have extra time, the town has commissioned artists to paint murals on the sides of some of the old buildings commemorating people and places of historical interest to the local area. One of the murals is of the Cole Brothers Airshow and Flying Circus from the '40's-early '60's. Two of the brothers were World Aerobatic Championship winners in the '50's. I can remember as a kid watching them perform. http://www.silverwingswingwalking.com/COLES.html

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Recently, I was back in my hometown of Kewanee, IL for a few hours and had the opportunity to meet up with some old friends for lunch at a bar that was our favorite hangout when I was home from college. The place has changed hands through the years and the current owners have acquired adjacent former warehouse space and expanded. Great atmosphere, great food, good beer selection for a small out-of-the-way place. If you are ever traveling through IL on I-80, it's worth a 12 mile detour to enjoy the turn-of-the-century ambience. http://kewanee.cernos1898.com
View attachment 32746

If you have extra time, the town has commissioned artists to paint murals on the sides of some of the old buildings commemorating people and places of historical interest to the local area. One of the murals is of the Cole Brothers Airshow and Flying Circus from the '40's-early '60's. Two of the brothers were World Aerobatic Championship winners in the '50's. I can remember as a kid watching them perform. http://www.silverwingswingwalking.com/COLES.html
View attachment 32751
When I was a student pilot in the 70s I bought Duane Cole's book, "Roll around a point" Good elementary aerobatics book. I still have it. Amazon is listing used over $700.?