• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Graduate Degree Question

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
If you are close to completing your MA at the time you start OCS then that is a good thing- you'll have a long time and flexibility to complete the degree requirements (ie. 6-7 years from start to finish?). In the ensuing ~5 years though, your most important goals will be earning your commission, wings, fleet aircraft qualifications (in that chronological order)- I'd plan to put the masters on hold for a few years and to finish up the degree requirements (by then about 5-10 credit hours?) right as you're rolling from sea duty to shore duty and have more free time day-to-day. There is more than one way to skin a cat, but I digress...

While in your fleet squadron, hit the ground running, focus on doing well there, etc., etc., but also talk to your department heads and chain of command about just what it is that you find interesting and motivating about getting a masters degree in your field. They'll know a whole lot more about what "else" is out there than you will. Even though most junior officer career advice is very narrow and almost always about an abstract idea called the "path," the end of your first sea tour (winging date + approx 4 years) is a major crossroads. Your available options there are part "you never know unless you ask" and part "you might not even know what questions to ask." Your hard work may be rewarded by people taking the time to talk with you and give you career advice that may result in a career that is more rewarding for you.

Or something like that...

Lucy

Thanks Sir!
That is pretty much the plan. Go with what I can know as best as I can and ask along the way for input. Adaptibility is my forte and I plan to have that continue to be the case. :)