• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

GPA

Lodge22

I just finished my application for PLC Juniors this summer for the April deadline and I was wondering how they view your GPA. My PFT is around 270 and my GPA is 2.4. However my school (UNC-Chapel Hill) and my major are pretty challenging and I was wondering how that would affect my selection. My OSO said they take your school's difficulty into account but I was wondering how much they actually take into account. Thanks,

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
Pilot slots typically also have a minimum GPA regardless of where you went to school and major. Find out what your no shit min is. If you meet that, just make sure everything else shines.

Sapper!

Excuse the BS...
If I read correctly, for PLC the min GPA is 2.0. OCC being so competitive a higher GPA might be a big help. Also, the degree isn't weighted competitive, it seems to be based on the school itself (based on Baron's guide). Meaning that you get 3 pts for competitive, 2 for the medium range, and 1 for everything else. GPA is weighted something like 3.5-4.0 gest 3 pts and on down the line. Working over 20 hrs a week nets 3 pts, prior service is 1 pt (WTF?!?! oh well), Eagle scout is 1 pt, 285 and up PFT is 3 pts, then 2 pts, 1 pt for 225 to 240ish I think. That is all I remember. I have a 2.75 GPA, 274 PFT, and passes the ASTB, as well a prior service. My school is considered "competitive" guess that sticks me somewhere near about 1+2+1+3=7, anyway that crap doesn't matter it just seems to be a starting point for how they wiegh the packets initially. Guys can work (i do work study so it isn't really work), get decent grades, and smoke the PFT then they can hit 9 points and be pretty well off. Heck that being said it still doesn't matter because they had high speed guys getting shot down for OCC with 285 PFT and good GPAs. They were taking the 300PFT guys who were solid in most other areas, pretty tough to gauge outcomes with so many applicants seeming to be pretty comptetitive at first glance.

exNavyOffRec

I was talking to my counterpart in the USMC a few days ago and we were comparing notes, his last batch of selections all had 300 PFT and GPA over 3.3

Sapper!

Excuse the BS...
I was talking to my counterpart in the USMC a few days ago and we were comparing notes, his last batch of selections all had 300 PFT and GPA over 3.3

Was that the OCC or the PLC group sir? Yeah I think it's strange that they have the same point weighting for 285-300 scores but in reality they only want the 300s. Can't blame them on that at all, it just goes to show that you can't game the system and the people doing the selecting want the best there is to offer.

I was just trying to shed some light on the point system that is used to gauge the applicants initially, I don't think that they stack those points against each other take the highest score.

Sapper!

Excuse the BS...
These were direct to OCS, not the one where they go to OCS then back to school.

Roger, the direct OCS route is very competitive from that I was dicussing with the OSO. He offered up the details as to why volunatrily, his explanation was that the direct OCS guys (OCC) program, pull from and compete against all applicants one side of the Mississippi basically. That is group that only seems to get in if you have a 300PFT. OSO said that exact same thing as yourself. However, the PLC guys (the go back to school types) only compete against other people in their recruiting districts, which is actually very large. Here in Louisiana the one OSO covers all of this state plus a good portion of western Mississippi.

OP sorry to thread jack but just wanted to confirm NavyOffRec's comment to say that was exactly the case that I heard as well conicidentally (I am not in the military or involved with recruiting, merely an applicant)

User1993

Was that the OCC or the PLC group sir? Yeah I think it's strange that they have the same point weighting for 285-300 scores but in reality they only want the 300s. Can't blame them on that at all, it just goes to show that you can't game the system and the people doing the selecting want the best there is to offer.

I was just trying to shed some light on the point system that is used to gauge the applicants initially, I don't think that they stack those points against each other take the highest score.

I can understand why they'd care about PFT slightly more than GPA. I'd figure a guy with a 300 PFT and a 2.8 gpa would do better in OCS then a guy with a 4.0 and a 230 PFT. It seems like people fail out of ocs more due to not being able to keep up physically. Or barely being able to keep up and that just taking a mental toll on them. Being physically prepared leaves you less stressed while you're there. Which I'd imagine is a giant help in a stress free scarce environment.