• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

GPA Waiver

Jmanstar

So I was wondering if someone would be able to tell me the significance of a GPA waiver and as far as if a board would look at it as a positive or a negative trait

FinkUFreaky

pilot
So I was wondering if someone would be able to tell me the significance of a GPA waiver and as far as if a board would look at it as a positive or a negative trait
I can't see how it would be a positive trait (effort for trying to get one maybe?). Regardless of a waiver (meaning that they will look at you below the mins, I'm assuming you mean), they will still look at the GPA, and I'd highly doubt someone with low GPA and a waiver would be looked favorably upon over someone with qualifying GPA, because they pushed for a waiver. If you have other stuff in your app that sets you ahead of the competition, then it will speak for itself, but your waiver definitely isn't going to be something that helps you. It would just get your application into the room. Not trying to be a dick here at all, just honest.

As posted above, ask your OR, and if you don't have one, find one.

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
What degree and how low are we talking?

My GPA was on the slightly underwhelming side, but I also had a really tough STEM degree and my recruiter had me write a letter to the board explaining the circumstances -- I worked my way through school and my best friend committed suicide. Girlfriends didn't help either....although I'm not sure if I put that last bit in the letter.

In any case, we never talked about a waiver. Maybe you just need a letter to the board?

Jmanstar

First off sorry to hear about your troubling past and I submitted my package while I was school and my gpa at the time didn’t meet standards so that’s why I had to get a gpa waiver since I actually didn’t finish until a month later.

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
So you've already submitted your package and now you're wondering how it will fare at the board? I mean, dude, don't worry about what you can't control.

But if you want to feel better about it (or worse, no promises), I'll ask again and maybe we can give you a general feeling on it: What degree, what GPA? Oh and what designators did you list?

exNavyOffRec

I have 2 in IT and Accounting I finished out with 2.85 and it’s for IP as of right now.

If you want to have a shot you need to look at designators that look at lower GPA's, IP is not one of those at all, the average GPA of those selected for pretty much any of the 18XX designators is 3.5 and you do not have a tech degree which is "preferred" and that means you better have one.

Look at aviation, maybe SWO

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
If you want to have a shot you need to look at designators that look at lower GPA's, IP is not one of those at all, the average GPA of those selected for pretty much any of the 18XX designators is 3.5 and you do not have a tech degree which is "preferred" and that means you better have one.

Look at aviation, maybe SWO
Thanks I am preparing for the SWO board as well

To add what @NavyOffRec said, you're asking the Navy for a big favor by waiving the GPA requirements to get to board. Coupled with a 10% selection rate, I'll stop short of saying "hell no" but the odds are definitely against you. Put into perspective you are competing against folks who have high GPAs, even some who have graduate education under their belt.

I would lean towards SWO and even aviation (assuming you are physically qualified) if your overall goal is to serve as a Naval Officer.