• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

GPA Calculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

DairyCreamer

Howdy all,

Question... does anyone have access to the "Navy GPA Calculation Worksheet?"

It's an item listed on the Officer Application Checklist. I'd be interested in seeing what this worksheet is all about if possible. Someone please shoot me a PM if you can help. I appreciate it!

~Nate

ben

not missing sand
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I don't have it, but I'm pretty sure they take your grade points in all your college level classes (university, community college, whatever) and divide by you total attempted graded hours. It should be a standard-issue GPA calculation. Grade points are 4 for A's, 3-B's, 2-C's, 1-D's and zero for F's. Do you think it works another way?

DairyCreamer

I heard from a fellow from this forum that I met in person recently that NRD Houston has a form that actually weighs your GPA differently than standard. I'm assuming he was speaking of the same "GPA Calc. Worksheet." I believe he said it accounts for your degree program and whether it's technical or not.

If it's just a straight GPA calculation, well, they could just get that from your transcript couldn't they? I suspect it's a different exercise.

~Nate

ben said:
I don't have it, but I'm pretty sure they take your grade points in all your college level classes (university, community college, whatever) and divide by you total attempted graded hours. It should be a standard-issue GPA calculation. Grade points are 4 for A's, 3-B's, 2-C's, 1-D's and zero for F's. Do you think it works another way?

ben

not missing sand
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Well I have no idea then. I worked my package out of NRD Houston and they accidentally had my GPA calculated a little bit wrong. I used the standard calculation that I mentioned above and they changed my GPA to what I had calculated. However, just because you have a 3.25 (for example), does not mean they don't look at how you got that 3.25. I'm sure that they consider the difficulty of the classes you took when making a decision, but you GPA is still a GPA. At least I think it is...

mizzoufan

I think I read somewhere that they weigh engineer. majors more. For example: engineering:1.0, science majors: .85, other majors: .75

jca320

mizzoufan said:
I think I read somewhere that they weigh engineer. majors more. For example: engineering:1.0, science majors: .85, other majors: .75

Yeah, Lets find where you read that. I'll lord it over my girlfriend (B.S. Physiology and Neuroscience).

Also note to everybody, if you transfered from a J.C. that GPA is CRAP! Yes, you may have worked hard and beaten out a 3.61 Computer Science GPA with Calc and Physics only to have it ignored by the Navy. (No, not bitter at all)

John

gnorman911

mizzoufan said:

That is what I heard too, not sure where...

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
I don't think there's an exact science to how they weight GPAs. Because if you really want to get to the nitty gritty, is an engineering degree from middle-of-nowhere the same as an engineering degree from MIT? Definitely not, that's an extreme example, but where you went to school is part of the "weight".

They definitely give preference though, as if you have a technical degree you can do BDCP for another 12-months, also, having a technical degree qualifies you for certain designators as well.

jg5343

FLY NAVY...Divers need the work
pilot
I took CC classes in the summer that counted for my engineering degree, but they weren't even close to the difficulty level at A&M. Maybe Ben can vouge for that. The Navy has to know those courses are way easy. I have straight A's at CC and never had to study, but only a 3.6 at A&M busting my ass. I am not sure about the weight system, but they definitely get a chance to see what school you go to and what classes you take.

NeoCortex

Castle Law for all States!!!
pilot
JCA, your a Neuro major? I did alot of research in that my Sr year, great field. Though mine was the Bio based, so I got to cut up rats!!

jca320

NeoCortex said:
JCA, your a Neuro major?

Actually I am a Computer Science Major. Girlfriend Neuro. Engineering vs. Science. But believe you and me she can run circles around me.

But FWIW, I am focusing on BioTech and Bioinformatics.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.