• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Got A Less-Than-Ideal PFT Result; Any Hope Left?

lecdbt

A few days ago I did a PFT because I had asthma in high school and early this year was prescribed an inhaler after a bout of Covid.

These were my results:

Spirometry: FEV1, FVC, FEV1/FVC is normal. There is a small but
statistically insignificant improvement in FEV1 and FVC post bronchodilators.
There is a mild reduction in mid flow rates.
Lung volumes: TLC is normal with elevated residual volume.
Diffusion: Diffusing capacity is normal.
Airways resistance: Airways resistance is not increased.

IMPRESSION:
Unremarkable spirometry with exception of mild reduction in mid flow rates.
There is evidence of air trapping. Findings of air trapping and reduction in
mid flow rates are consistent with patient's clinical diagnosis of asthma.

My primary care's interpretation of the results is that I do, indeed, have asthma with active symptoms (even though I've personally never particularly noticed them).

From my understanding (and after talking to my recruiter), either I have to go to pulmonary rehab and mitigate the symptoms enough to pass a second PFT, or I'm [censored] because no branch is going to give waivers to someone with active symptoms of asthma.

Is there any hope left for me potentially being able to make it to OCS? How effective is this pulmonary rehab anyways?

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
A few days ago I did a PFT because I had asthma in high school and early this year was prescribed an inhaler after a bout of Covid.

These were my results:

Spirometry: FEV1, FVC, FEV1/FVC is normal. There is a small but
statistically insignificant improvement in FEV1 and FVC post bronchodilators.
There is a mild reduction in mid flow rates.
Lung volumes: TLC is normal with elevated residual volume.
Diffusion: Diffusing capacity is normal.
Airways resistance: Airways resistance is not increased.

IMPRESSION:
Unremarkable spirometry with exception of mild reduction in mid flow rates.
There is evidence of air trapping. Findings of air trapping and reduction in
mid flow rates are consistent with patient's clinical diagnosis of asthma.

My primary care's interpretation of the results is that I do, indeed, have asthma with active symptoms (even though I've personally never particularly noticed them).

From my understanding (and after talking to my recruiter), either I have to go to pulmonary rehab and mitigate the symptoms enough to pass a second PFT, or I'm [censored] because no branch is going to give waivers to someone with active symptoms of asthma.

Is there any hope left for me potentially being able to make it to OCS? How effective is this pulmonary rehab anyways?

None of us are doctors here. Submit the medical paperwork and hope the waiver gods are in your favor.