• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Good enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LazyD

Thank google search for finding this forums. For as long as I can remember I have been hooked onto the idea flight, as I get older(16 now) the need for flight is getting stronger. I have been trying to get my Private Pilots License but money is a large factor to that, I have ridden in planes, helicopters and ultralights and cant get enough. Discovery Wings is the only thing you can find on my TV and I have enough RC planes to shake a stick at, simply put, I am passionate about flying, its a dream.

Here are my questions:

1. My eyesight is 47 59, is that allowable for an aviator?

2. I graduated from highschool after taking the California Highschool Proficieny Exam, pretty much it says every college in California must accept it like a highschool diploma and it seems to be almost on par with a GED. Will the NAVY care about that? Or will they just look at my college education?

3. I am 6'3" and 190 pounds, ive heard that max height limit was 6'4", can anyone confirm?

4. Do the ASVABs mean anything? I took it last year and scored an overall 94

NeoCortex

Castle Law for all States!!!
pilot
1. you have to have 20/40 or better to be a pilot, 20/100 (i think) to be an NFO. You can get laser surgey (PRK) to fix your eyes.
2. as long as you go to college and do well I don't think it should matter.
3. It's all about your anthrometeric measurments.
4. No, the only thing the Navy cares about it the ASTB.

After you have a year under your belt in college you should go talk to a recuiter about the BDCP program. Or you can look into Navy ROTC for college. As to flying, I am almost done with my Instrument license and it has cost me an arm and a leg, but I love to fly so I feel that it was worth it. Another option for you might be to go to a college with and Aviation degree.

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
Dang Batman. How can you see anything? Do you echo-locate in the cockpit or what?

LazyD

I hate to ask, but what is an NFO, ive been looking through the forums and alot of these acronyms confuse the hell out of me, SNA, NFO(I know OCS! Yay!)

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
SNA = Student Naval Avaitor
NFO = Naval Flight Officer
ADA = American Disibilities Act :D

LazyD

What does a Naval Flight Officer entail? With the differences in requirements for sight requirements there must be a large difference.

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
They do not fly the aircraft. They operate equipment (jamming, navigation so on and so on.) Aside from the Prowler, they are the guys in back of tactical aircraft and in the tube of the larger ones.

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
LazyD,

Look up the number of your local officer recruiter. If you can set up a time to talk with him either in phone or in person I'm sure he could paint a good picture for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.