• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Going for IDC DCO: Suggested reading?

Fronch

OCS 03-15 (IW)
Hi, everyone. I've been lurking on these boards for a while, and have been very grateful for all the info posted here. I'm in the process of applying for the September IDC board. Pretty much all my materials are in, so there's not much left to do but wait.

In the meantime, I was thinking that I could spend some time this summer doing some reading to prepare myself for commissioning, training, etc. if I am selected. As a civilian, I feel like I'll be at a disadvantage compared to the DCO folks who have prior military service. I'm hoping that by doing some reading on my own, I can try to minimize the number of times that I'll make simple mistakes and look like a dumb civilian.

So, any suggestions for things I can read? I'm also interested in learning more about Navy history, so any suggestions along those lines would be useful as well. Thanks in advance.

BackOrdered

Contributor
"The Caine Mutiny." The most eerily accurate media depiction of life as a Naval Officer I've ever seen or read. I may even require my DIVOs to read it.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
A good place to start would be the Navy's Professional Military Reading list and links to the ones for the other services, the Marine one is another I would look at.

There are countless books that you can read about a lot of specific periods in the the US Navy's history, we have a thread here dedicated to books that has many of them, but here is a few I think that might give you a decent start if you are new to the Navy.

Six Frigates - A great history of the first six major warships designed and built for the US Navy, comprehensive but easy read
A Sailor's History of the U.S. Navy - History of the US Navy from the 'deckplate' view (I have not read it)
1812: The Navy's War - Good history of the war that payed a formative role in the early US Navy
The Battle of Midway - This book is a well-reviewed account of the battle fo the same name in WWII (Shattered Sword is another excellent book on the Battle of Midway but it is a bit dense and very detailed if you are new to the subject)
The Admirals: Nimitz, Halsey, Leahy, and King - World War II from the perspective of the US Navy's ranking Admirals in the war.

Another good place to look is the US Naval Institute, it is a non-profit association that supports the naval services and acts as an outside forum for ideas on them especially in it's monthly magazine Proceedings. It also happens to publish quite a few Navy-oriented books, especially history ones. You don't have to be a member to order from them but it does get you a discount.

Renegade One

None
More specific, perhaps, to the whole IDC thingie:
  • Joe Rochefort's War: The Odyssey of the Codebreaker Who Outwitted Yamamoto at Midway
  • Station X: The Codebreakers of Bletchley Park
  • Cyber War: The Next Threat to National Security and What to Do About It

yingty01

For community specific reading, check out the Information Dominance Roadmap - http://www.public.navy.mil/fcc-c10f/Strategies/Information_Dominance_Roadmap_March_2013.pdf

In general, I find it helpful to read military forums (especially this one), blogs, the Navy's website, etc. to get an idea of what's going on currently, particularly on the "cultural" aspects of the Navy.

By the way, the disadvantage of not having prior service is minimal, if it exists at all. Many of your IDC colleagues will be in the same boat. Those with prior service will still be completing the same curriculum. I wouldn't worry too much about "looking like a dumb civilian."

Fronch

OCS 03-15 (IW)
Thanks for the replies! My undergrad degree is in Math and CS, so I'm already somewhat familiar with WWII-era cryptography, but I will definitely check out some of these suggestions.

Devil Duck

Recommend being familiar with ongoing events. Read from several national and international news sources daily. The Economist is a good source. Cannot go wrong with BBC.

I wouldn't worry about being a non-prior service service applicant. If selected you'll be just a little more clueless than the average DCO.

das

Contributor
If it's the IDC you're interested in, hit the links in my sig... :)