• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Goin under the laser

spinspilot

Well boys, tomorrow morning is the big show. I've read all the posts in this sub forum so I think I'm pretty confident on knowing what to expect. Hasn't really hit me that I'm going in for surgery, but today it's starting to get me a little, not nervous, but "aware" that a laser is going in to my f$^%n eye.
Tomorrow I'm going to ask the doc to make copies of everything so I have them. Is there anything they usually dont put in the paperwork that I need to remind them or ask for? I think I read something about that in another thread, might have to re read that one. Ill let you guys know how it goes, sorta hopeing for one of those, oh wow moments though. We shall see, literally.;)

KCOTT

remember to pillage before you burn
pilot
I remember being real nervous prior to mine as well. But the whole thing is pretty quick. The results are almost instant.

utak

It'll fly by, you'll do fine. Don't sweat it. And be sure to rest, don't log on to AW right after your surgery to let us know that you're OK.

I remember my PRK, I went to sleep for 12 hours. Woke up, logged on AIM (took me a while cause of my fuzzy eyesight) to let my buddies know I was ok. Then went back to sleep for another 12 hours.

Junkball

"I believe in ammunition"
pilot
Don't worry about it, you'll be real easy with the Valium chill pill they give you before the surgery. Make sure they do the right surgery! Kidding (kind of), as you don't want one of those 'cut off the wrong foot' type of situations. My doctor said, "So, I'm not willing to perform LASIK on you due to..." in the final consult about 20 minutes pre-laser. I was like WTF? I'm here for PRK! There is no paperwork specifically to have filled out at the moment, just make sure they keep copies of everything, especially the topographical map of the eye.

Good luck and stay in bed for a while.

nugget61

pilot
So was it a faster surgery than you thought?
Keep in mind that you won't have great vision for a few months... its easy to be impatient, but just wait it out and you'll be happy with the results.

spitfiremkxiv

Pepe's sandwich
Contributor
Don't worry about it, you'll be real easy with the Valium chill pill they give you before the surgery. Make sure they do the right surgery!

Well if you find out that they did Lasik accidentally, you could just go back to the doc and have him cut off the corneal flap that he reattached so that you could grow a new one. Viola, PRK! Just a thought...

Good luck and stay in bed for a while.

I had to spend a lot of time on the computer after I got my near vision back, and I never really made it to 20/20 in my left eye. If I could go back, I'd spend about a week in bed and another week with my eyes shut, just to help my odds of full recovery. It probably wouldn't make a difference, but that's what I would do if I could do it over again.

ru838434

Had PRK done yesterday at 10. A lot of burning in the afternoon, but I was able to watch TV and everything else by the evening. Woke up this morning and my eyes burned for about an hour, but feel great now. Went for follow-up consultation, and I'm already at 20/20!

Also, I spoke with my doctor this morning, and he said sitting around in the dark or with your eyes closed won't help with recovery. It just feels better if your eyes are sensative to light.

spinspilot

well, surgery went quick. The only thing that sucked was the thing that spreads your eyes open, kinda uncomfortable. The laser didnt hurt or feel wierd, the only thing was the burning smell. The suckiest part was right after the laser, he drenched my eye with a super cold fluid for a minute and i swear i was getting brain freeze.
After the surgery, just a little blury, not much pain at all. I went home and passed out for about 3 hours, then watched tv all night. honestly, I have no pain and am just slightly light sensitive. When I woke up this morning, (day 1 recovery) I remembered you guys saying to not open your eyes but I heard a loud noise out the window and sorta jumped up to check it out, my eyes felt fine. Just a little dry. No need for ice packs or anything, Im really happy about that. I can watch tv fine, but typing here seems to fluctuate oh sharpness. Post op went well, Im seeing 20/20 with both eyes! BUT, he said that will decrease in a few days, and not to worry about it, but i was still pretty excited, about 20/25 L and 20/30 R. I can definately see a difference from my original 20/80. still a little blurry but not worried.
Also, he told me to take vitamin C, but I read some of you were taking fish oil. So i just picked up vit c, fish oil and bilberry with lutein. Will keep the updates coming.

nugget61

pilot
Good luck man.
I think it took me 2 days to become light sensitive, so just plan on it happening eventually. My near vision went to crap for a few weeks as well, but it came back.
The surgery has a really fluctuating recovery, so just stick with it and you'll be fine. And I'm still taking the same pills that you mentioned.

spinspilot

ok, so i jinxed myself. Day2 was complete bed rest as i couldnt see four feet in front of me. today is nearly the same, took me five minutes just to find this post. The doc said it would get worse, but i dont know why i didnt ask him when ill be able to at least see semi normailly. this sucks. I was actually supposed to drive back to school today, not gonna happen. On the bright side, I suckered my mom into typing a report for me.
totally random but, I have to take three different drops four times a day, every time i take them, I get this horrible taste in my mouth. I know its the drops, just didnt know it could go from eyes to mouth. nasty, i know. anyway, sorry for the typos as my eyes are closed, good thing for home row keys.

paigeme04

ok, so i jinxed myself. Day2 was complete bed rest as i couldnt see four feet in front of me. today is nearly the same, took me five minutes just to find this post. The doc said it would get worse, but i dont know why i didnt ask him when ill be able to at least see semi normailly. this sucks. I was actually supposed to drive back to school today, not gonna happen. On the bright side, I suckered my mom into typing a report for me.
totally random but, I have to take three different drops four times a day, every time i take them, I get this horrible taste in my mouth. I know its the drops, just didnt know it could go from eyes to mouth. nasty, i know. anyway, sorry for the typos as my eyes are closed, good thing for home row keys.

Sorry to hear it has gotten so bad... I had LASIK done on the 19th and I agree the drops are dreadful! I think they should be prescribed as a weight loss treatment... eating anything after eye drops makes it taste HORRIBLE, thus you eat less! ;-)
Good luck with your continued recovery!

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
Oh, I had forgotten about the nasty flavored Milk Drops. God, those sucked.

And I never used the coke drops. Wanted to heal ASAP.

Sometime soon, you will wake up and be fiendishly hungry, so you'll shuffle to the fridge in a darkened kitchen and open the fridge, only to be painfully blinded by the light in the fridge.

Have someone disconnect that baby for you.

And don't worry about the vision. Come talk to us in a month. You'll see.

Junkball

"I believe in ammunition"
pilot
I have to take three different drops four times a day, every time i take them, I get this horrible taste in my mouth. I know its the drops, just didnt know it could go from eyes to mouth. nasty, i know.

I told my brother (who was taking care of me), "Dude, these drops... taste like shit!"

He replied, "You're supposed to put them in your eyes, not your mouth you idiot"

What a smartass. They do taste bad and I never really got used to em. You'll run through them fast enough though.