• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Glock Love

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
I carry a Glock 22 as my issue weapon in the police. We always go with a round chambered. It's as safe in that condition as you are, i.e. it's not going off unless you make it go off (though I'm told other makes may not be as good in that regard, specifically FN).

I rarely carry off-duty except when departmentally encouraged (in city limits when practical to do so). The 22 is a bit much of a hand cannon to do so comfortably, and I'm a fairly big guy.

Very good weapon. I'm easy to please, though. I always thought that the M9 was unfairly maligned by people who just didn't know how to use it.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
For home protection, do you (anyone) recommend any under-barrel rail accessories for a Glock 19, e.g. flashlight, red dot, or both? Are there particular brands/products you would recommend?

I have a Glock 19 for home protection. Can't really conceal carry, due to where I live. I saw some cheaper laser dots around $50 but the online reviews were mixed.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Surefire X300 and whatever sights you like. The SF will literally turn black (if you don't clean it off regularly) from shooting and still work without fail. Save the money you would use for a laser and put it towards ammo to practice with. I'd also highly recommend a class that instructs low-light shooting. It's eye opening how what you may have thought would work doesn't quite work, depending on the environment (specifically if you have to shoot one-handed).

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
I have a variety of relatively high-end lights on my HD stuff. Lights are a very import add in my view. Mine are mostly Surefire and Streamlight. Streamlight's TLR-3 is small enough that it doesn't protrude past the muzzle of a G19 but it doesn't bother me much one way or the other.

I'm not a big fan of laser sights but what I do like to do is narrow the focus on my pistol light to to a little less than pie plate size. You still get a lot of bleed over light and at across the room ranges all you have to do is put the bright circle center of mass and press.

I usually try and focus it a little smaller but this is an example.
images_1.jpg

phrogdriver

pilot
Super Moderator
Agree. A good light is great. Lasers are not very useful unless you plan on shooting with NVGs.

The stock tritium sights are good unless you're clearing rooms at night.

Rockriver

pilot
I like my laser, a Crimson Trace LG-452. After shooting with iron sights all my life, I find that I can no longer get a sharp, crisp sight picture in daylight. At night I simply see three fuzzy globs. Wearing low power reading glasses fixes all this, but then I have to ensure that those readers are always immediately accessible. Focusing on something more than a yard or more away is still easy, and the green dot gives me just that. Using a laser, my attention is focused on the target, not the front sight of my gun. Lastly, I challenge anyone to get a proper sight picture on me while I am shining a green laser into their eyes.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Thanks all. My wife left the front door wide unlocked all day the other day, so I had a fun little adventure room-clearing the entire house at night with iron sights and no light. I didn't think anyone was in the house anyways, but it was good practice. Side note - I am terrible at room clearing.

phrogdriver

pilot
Super Moderator
Thanks all. My wife left the front door wide unlocked all day the other day, so I had a fun little adventure room-clearing the entire house at night with iron sights and no light. I didn't think anyone was in the house anyways, but it was good practice. Side note - I am terrible at room clearing.

#paranoid

Hair Warrior

Contributor
#paranoid
Cool insult, bro. Way to slap a derogatory adjective on something you know nothing about. Maybe your neighborhood crime stats don't match my neighborhood. If your home had been robbed before, like mine has, maybe you'd like to take that one back.

phrogdriver

pilot
Super Moderator
Wow. A little bit sensitive, huh?

I don't know many neighborhoods that warrant tactical clearing based on just leaving the door open, but that's just me.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
No worries. Door was left open all day, and there have been a bunch of break-ins lately. Also, several armed robbieries at bus stops on the busy road one road over. Better safe than sorry.