• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

GI Bill Transfer prior/post FOSx2?

Rg9

pilot
Hello all. I'm at 10 years active service and am getting my second look at O-4 next week. If I get picked up, I'm likely getting out. If not, I'm getting forced out...

So I'm looking for some help - maybe someone has gone through this before. I know I'm not the only one with this question, but I couldn't get a consistent answer from VA, Admin, online, or anywhere, so looking for some collective/experiential knowledge.

I may be in the FOSx2 boat in a few months and have not transferred my GI Bill benefits to my kids. My questions I can't get a "for sure" answer to are:

1. If I xfer benefits (obligating 4 more years), then select LCDR, am I obligated to 4 more years regardless? Can I say "nope, sorry, the airlines are calling", and just reclaim the GI Bill for myself and get out?

2. If I wait until board results, can I then pass on to my kids and let the FOSx2 process run its course? I understand if I can't finish the 4 years, I can still xfer. The issue is whether I can decide to xfer once it's already determined I can't serve 4 more years.

Thanks for any help! It's appreciated.

Here's the instruction. Yes I've read it: http://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives/corres/pdf/134113p.pdf

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I transferred my benefits to Fester 2.0 right before getting out. Literally right before - I stopped by the Navy College office to do it while routing my terminal leave paperwork. The 4 year 'payback' can be Reserve time as well.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Had a buddy transfer his Post-911 GI bill to his kids, then got FOSx2 for O-5 and was summarily retired for HYT. No issues. Like Fester said, do it and then worry about the time due afterwards. I was lucky to transfer my benefits prior to the 4 year commitment ('08). My oldest daughter blew through all of it and graduated.