• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Getting MEPS/Waiver docs for AF after having it done at NAVY?

ObiWanYoda

Hello everyone,

So I started an application package for Navy OCS last year. Long story short, I needed a waiver for a medical history of a specific condition and after couple more months passed, I received notice that I got the waiver. Now, I want to try and see if I can get that waiver for the Air Force (I originally wanted AF but at the time - last year - they said they were only accepting engineering degrees, so I went with Navy. But recently contacted AF recruiter again, and he said spots were available.) Based on searching and reading the site it is of my impression that both branches have different Medical processes and I need to apply for the waivers separately. So here comes the questions:

1. Will the AF Recruiter need to request my MEPS docs from Navy and can this still be done even if the MEPS docs show I was DQd? I'm basically hoping for the AF recruiter to get my MEPS docs from Navy and submit them to see if I can get a waiver, can this be done and is this the right process?
  2. Will my Navy recruiter know the MEPS docs got requested? I read on another thread that "you will get a PQ letter from the USN before you apply, so then the USN won't need access to your MEPS file." and that "unless they currently have the file and MEPS comes to get it [recruiter won't know], but once you have the PQ no one cares." Is the "PQ Letter" the letter where it says my waiver got approved and that I'm qualified? I really would prefer if the Navy recruiter doesn't know I'm checking with the AF. That's because he's been awesome with me and it was a lot of work to get that waiver (which the previous recruiter before him said I couldn't get).
  3. Let say AF gets MEPS from NAVY, and waiver gets denied (which probably would), I can still apply with the Navy from which I have the waiver, right? even if they no longer have the MEPS docs? Also, if I do get approved, can I have two waivers at two different branches at the same time? as in, getting AF waiver wouldn't affect Navy's waiver right?

Thanks for the help in advance.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
  1. Will the AF Recruiter need to request my MEPS docs from Navy and can this still be done even if the MEPS docs show I was DQd? I'm basically hoping for the AF recruiter to get my MEPS docs from Navy and submit them to see if I can get a waiver, can this be done and is this the right process?
  2. Will my Navy recruiter know the MEPS docs got requested? I read on another thread that "you will get a PQ letter from the USN before you apply, so then the USN won't need access to your MEPS file." and that "unless they currently have the file and MEPS comes to get it [recruiter won't know], but once you have the PQ no one cares." Is the "PQ Letter" the letter where it says my waiver got approved and that I'm qualified? I really would prefer if the Navy recruiter doesn't know I'm checking with the AF. That's because he's been awesome with me and it was a lot of work to get that waiver (which the previous recruiter before him said I couldn't get).
  3. Let say AF gets MEPS from NAVY, and waiver gets denied (which probably would), I can still apply with the Navy from which I have the waiver, right? even if they no longer have the MEPS docs? Also, if I do get approved, can I have two waivers at two different branches at the same time? as in, getting AF waiver wouldn't affect Navy's waiver right?

Be upfront with your Navy recruiter and say you are still interested in applying for both branches. Your recruiter will eventually know you're applying for other services, whether it's coming from you or when MEPS/Air Force requests the medical record.

ObiWanYoda

Be upfront with your Navy recruiter and say you are still interested in applying for both branches. Your recruiter will eventually know you're applying for other services, whether it's coming from you or when MEPS/Air Force requests the medical record.

Thanks for the response. And yes, you're right. I will let him know.

One question, do you know if I can have two waivers for different branches at the same time? Whether I get the Air Force waiver or not it shouldn't affect the Navy one right?

Bergers2short

None
I went to MEPS for the CG, never got a waiver, and the Navy used my same MEPS docs and Drs letters to get my waiver. They didn't care that the letters said "for CG commission." I had to get checked out by Navy docs to get the ok, but no repeating MEPS.

ObiWanYoda

I went to MEPS for the CG, never got a waiver, and the Navy used my same MEPS docs and Drs letters to get my waiver. They didn't care that the letters said "for CG commission." I had to get checked out by Navy docs to get the ok, but no repeating MEPS.

Interesting, so not only was the MEPS docs transferable but also the Drs letters. Thats great to hear! Thanks. I will contact AF recruiter and hopefully he agrees to give the waiver a try, especially considering I got one from the Navy.