• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Geico/Special Military Rates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolfpack

I've been doing a little research on car insurance since I hope to eventually end up in San Diego and I know how expensive it is out there. They said they are the preferred carrier for the Military and Government. Their rates were $100 cheaper per 6 months in San Diego than the others (for me anyway) but here's what surprised me. When you are deployed, they refund you up to 70% of what you paid in car insurance while deployed. In other words, if you are set up with an auto draft and you are on the boat for 6 months at $150 per month (= $900), then up to 70% ($630) is credited back to your account. This may be well known but I was surprised by it and the other carriers did not offer this. Keep it in mind.

marti'swife

Navy Wife
I would recommend USAA to anyone in the military. I have been a member for about five years now. The service is outstanding and they recieve the highest rating of all the major insurance companies every year. They are military only and they are awesome.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Agreed on USAA. They understand how deployments and the constant PCS issues work, never had a problem with them yet, 7 yrs, knock on wood.

Low interest loans as well.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
USAA is good to go when deployed I just tell them it wont be driven and the rates drop appropriately and they dont nickel and dime you. I had a wreck and they just cut me a check and went after the other guy I didnt even have to go get estimates. Sometimes you get what you pay for that extra hundred bucks might be a lot of your time

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Agreewith the others, USAA is a really good company and they have always been really good to work with on the military stuff. As someone pointed out above, they only accept military and dependents. Tell me another insurance company that gives you back a chunk of your car insurance every year, up to 10% in my case (are they non-profit?).

As for GEICO, I have heard some not so good things about them. The one guy I knew who had them was not happy and switched to USAA (only one guy though), and the body shop where I had my car worked on earlier this year did not like them at all. One last thing, the big reason GEICO offers good rates to government and military can be found in their name, Government Employees Insurance COmpany. They used to be government only but are now open to everyone, with all the good and bad that comes with it.

Dustball

2nd LT
I have a perfect driving record and I got quotes from both USAA and GEICO, USAA was about $200 cheaper per 6 months for me.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Geico may be cheaper, but wait till you have to file a claim with them.... It's a nightmare - my parent's have Geico and I've seen them deal with the hurdles and crappy customer service. Pretty much the same for Progressive.

I'll stick with USAA, thanks.

Wolfpack

Glad to hear the feedback. Geico's rates sounded good but they obviously lack in the areas that count when you need them. I will look into USAA and it looks like they are a no brainer.

FlyingDoc

Yeah, we have had USAA forever... Since I was 16 <5 years> I have had 3 accidents, had a car vandelized and another stolen... and USAA hasn't dropped me yet!

harveyryanj

USAA Bandwagon...

I've been with USAA for just over five years now. Couldn't ask for much better service. I have my rented three bedroom house (1970 sq. ft.), truck (04 Tacoma QuadCab 4x4 with TRD package), and bike (03 Yamaha R1) all insured for just over $120.00 per month, and I'm 27... Pretty good deal if you ask me! :icon_mi_6

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Just beating a dead horse...

I had Geico before I got USAA, I was able to get better coverage for less with USAA. Also, I use them for Renter's insurance, checking acct, Roth IRA, etc. Plus, the APR on the credit card is like 8.9%, way lower than most others, and I took advantage of a balance transfer that had a promotional 1.9% APR, that's good until the balance is paid off (as long as I'm in good standing), not that "0% APR until Jan 2005!" bullcrap where the normal 18.9% kicks in and does you pulp fiction-style.

Rainman

pilot
USMCAV8R2B said:
I've been with USAA for just over five years now. Couldn't ask for much better service. I have my rented three bedroom house (1970 sq. ft.), truck (04 Tacoma QuadCab 4x4 with TRD package), and bike (03 Yamaha R1) all insured for just over $120.00 per month, and I'm 27... Pretty good deal if you ask me! :icon_mi_6

USAA is a great company. No worries.
They aren't military only but "folks that serve" which includes police / FBI / and others.
Be careful with the motorcycle coverage. .or more accurately be careful about making any claims if your pricing on the R1 is a really good deal. My roommate crashed my truck and USAA dropped my motorcycle coverage (no claims / no tickets / no relationship). . pretty crazy. After mucho speaking with mucho people they let me know that they are getting out of the motorcycle business over the course of X amount of years. Interesting. . so that was their excuse to get rid of that portion of risk. I found that sportbike coverage from others was about 8x what USAA was charging me..

food for thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.