• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

G-1 Mil Spec suppliers

Tex232

Hi, I was wondering if anyone here can tell me who the official manufacturer(s) currently is/are for the G-1 leather flight jacket. I searched the forum but couldn't find an answer. I am trying to find one as a Xmas gift for my father, he's a former Coast Guard pilot but he turned in his issued jacket when he got out since it didn't fit him well. From the companies I've found online, damn near everyone claims to offer Mil Spec G-1's so it's hard to determine which are genuine. Cockpit USA and US Wings jackets appeared to be pretty authentic, with US Wings claiming to be the contracted G-1 supplier for the USCG. I'm active duty AF so I was looking through the NEX and MCX military clothing websites to see if I could pick one up there but had no luck. Any suggestions are appreciated, thanks!

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Mine, issued in 2000, is labeled as "Excelled Sheepskin and Leather Coat Factory" out of Phili. It's not to the quality of an old-school jacket, but it's not terrible. Side pockets would make it much more of a "thing" for me, but it has none.

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
Mine issued in 2017 is from Excelled as well. It’s definitely nice but if I was to ever buy a replacement or a second jacket I would probably get one with side pockets and a few of the other features found on the G-1 analogues from other companies. If you search around here I know there’s been a lot of discussion on the Pops and Cockpit jackets.

Pags

N/A
pilot
I was disappointed in my issued one and got an after market one. I've seen cockpit and wings leather jackets and they're nice. I got mine from flightjacket.com 13yrs ago and am still happy with it. Leather is higher quality than the issued one resulting a jacket that looks and wears better. Cut is also better and the collar is real mouton. Concur with getting side entry pockets added, makes it a much more useful jacket in the modern world.

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
My 1986 AOCS issued G-1 is from Brill Brothers if I remember correctly [tag is worn and has been graffitied by some jackhole named “WAYNE”]...

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If you're buying anyone a G-1 as a gift . . . screw modern "mil-spec." "Mil-spec," sadly, is cheap leather rolled to look like goatskin, attached to a cheap synthetic fur collar, supplied by the no-name lowest bidder and fitted by a bitter pissed-off old lady in NAS Pensacola supply who refuses to issue you the right size, because that's the last one she's got and "you'll be fatter when you're a Lieutenant [?!]." It's a disgrace to Naval Aviation.

Get a goatskin G-1 with a real mouton collar, and the hell with what's "mil-spec." It's a scam for people who've never been in. See @Pags's comment above.

Tex232

Thanks for the replies! The general consensus seems to be that most aftermarket jackets are better quality so I will probably opt for one of them.

Waveoff

Per Diem Mafia
None
Current issue is Excelled and they suck, or at least I hate mine. Cockpit is ok, but they don’t have the correct Horizonte seam line at the bottom end of the zipper that all the other jackets do have. Other quality and not expensive jackets appear to be from “flighjacket.com” and Gibson and Barnes. You can try pops leather but their customer service takes for ever to get back about simple questions.

loadtoad

pilot
Contributor
I was disappointed in my issued one and got an after market one. I've seen cockpit and wings leather jackets and they're nice. I got mine from flightjacket.com 13yrs ago and am still happy with it. Leather is higher quality than the issued one resulting a jacket that looks and wears better. Cut is also better and the collar is real mouton. Concur with getting side entry pockets added, makes it a much more useful jacket in the modern world.

Second for flightjacnet.com and being happy with the product. Night and day difference from the issued one. It's also a plus that when your dog eats your collar thinking it's a real animal that you can send it back and get it replaced ?