• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY20 STA-21 Message/Application

Goodfou

In four years? Absolutely not. I've been working on my degree for over 8 years and I'm just now approaching 77% complete. Sometimes I wish I could be at a command where the operational tempo is low enough that I could complete it faster. I'm at the point now that the remaining classes I cannot do online and I physically have to attend at times that are just not compatible with the ships schedule.

Been there, done that; which is why I went SELRES in October 2013 as a 10 1/2 year First Class to finish my degree before I aged out of all options. Stay at home wife and two kids at the time and still managed to live comfortably while finishing a Finance degree in just a 2 1/2 years (thanks to GI Bill, pell grants and SELRES drills). Now I’m an O-2 FTS AMDO.

What are you willing to do to be selected for a commission? Base on your timeline, you have been working on your degree since before I left Active Duty to finish mine.

FACTS: STA-21 is a pipe dream for everyone except Nukes. Just enough non-nuke selects to keep the program named “STA-21” and not “Nuke-21.”

Get over it and figure out how to get that piece of paper as fast as you can with a degree you can live with.

RadarFC

Results are out... great job everyone who made it. I am reapplying next year. If any applicants or reapplicants would like to share the personal statement please let me know!

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Results are out... great job everyone who made it. I am reapplying next year. If any applicants or reapplicants would like to share the personal statement please let me know!

If you’re a non nuke I’d consider other programs to include getting your degree / OCS route.

Airbro

Selected for Pilot. I was an alternate for CORE last year, this was my second time applying. I just wanted to post and say thank you to those that have posted in this forum. Over the last few years I used many of the ASTB guides and read how to improve my chances of being selected. I'm willing to share my personal statement or any advice I can, just send me a message.

Goodfou

Selected for Pilot. I was an alternate for CORE last year, this was my second time applying. I just wanted to post and say thank you to those that have posted in this forum. Over the last few years I used many of the ASTB guides and read how to improve my chances of being selected. I'm willing to share my personal statement or any advice I can, just send me a message.

Congrats on your selection. Please post up all your stats so all the non-selects and those considering applying next year know what they need to be truly competitive.

Airbro

Congrats on your selection. Please post up all your stats so all the non-selects and those considering applying next year know what they need to be truly competitive.

RATE/QUALS- AC2 (AW)
AGE-25
TARGET PROGRAM- Pilot, Core (I applied for both both years I applied.)
PERFORMANCE EVAULATIONS (Last 5, New to old)- NOB, EP, EP, EP, EP
JST- ACA1 Air Traffic Control "A" School, Carrier Air Traffic Control School (CATCC)
COLLEGE- Associate's of Science, Aeronautics, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University (2018) (Calc 1, Phys 1 completed.) 98/120 Credits for BS In Aeronautics Completed.
HIGH SCHOOL- 3.7 GPA
LEADERSHIP- Shift supervisor roles, OJT Instructor, Assistant LPO
AWARDS- 1 NAM, 2 FLOC, 2 LOC, 5 LOAS, 1 MOVSM
VOLUNTEERING- Hundreds of hours over 5 years.
TIS- Just >5 years.
SAT: 600 math, 620 reading
PRT- Excellent Medium, Waived, Excellent Low
ASTB: 7/7/7
Internal Board: CDR, CDR, LT
External Board: CDR, CDR, LCDR, LT
LOR: CAPT, CDR, CDR, MAJ, LT
MISC: 45 civilian flight hours, 8 hours Pilot-in-Command from April 2019-Present.

Additional two cents: I was an alternate last year, that helped me a lot and I listened to my mentors who advised me to apply again. I also continued my education and submitted my civilian flight training from this year as part of my package. A lot of people helped me get to this point, can't thank them enough.

Last edited:

Goodfou

RATE/QUALS- AC2 (AW)
AGE-25
TARGET PROGRAM- Pilot, Core (I applied for both both years I applied.)
PERFORMANCE EVAULATIONS (Last 5, New to old)- NOB, EP, EP, EP, EP
JST- ACA1 Air Traffic Control "A" School, Carrier Air Traffic Control School (CATCC)
COLLEGE- Associate's of Science, Aeronautics, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University (2018) (Calc 1, Phys 1 completed.) 98/120 Credits for BS In Aeronautics Completed.
HIGH SCHOOL- 3.7 GPA
LEADERSHIP- Shift supervisor roles, OJT Instructor, Assistant LPO
AWARDS- 1 NAM, 2 FLOC, 2 LOC, 5 LOAS, 1 MOVSM
VOLUNTEERING- Hundreds of hours over 5 years.
TIS- Just >5 years.
SAT: 600 math, 620 reading
ASTB: 7/7/7
Internal Board: CDR, CDR, LT
External Board: CDR, CDR, LCDR, LT
LOR: CAPT, CDR, CDR, MAJ, LT
MISC: 45 civilian flight hours, 8 hours Pilot-in-Command from April 2019-Present.

Additional two cents: I was an alternate last year, that helped me a lot and I listened to my mentors who advised me to apply again. I also continued my education and submitted my civilian flight training from this year as part of my package. A lot of people helped me get to this point, can't thank them enough.

Thanks for sharing. What is your college GPA?

Airbro

Thanks for sharing. What is your college GPA?
3.9, I'm still enrolled and taking classes now but I won't take anymore after this term ends to get ready for NSI. I chose to continue with Embry-Riddle for my BS in Aeronautics while participating in STA-21.

Goodfou

3.9, I'm still enrolled and taking classes now but I won't take anymore after this term ends to get ready for NSI. I chose to continue with Embry-Riddle for my BS in Aeronautics while participating in STA-21.

And I think that info tells the story. Already almost done with the bachelor degree with Calc 1 and Physics with a 3.9 GPA in addition to all the other standard Sailor bs (good evals, soy/q, LORs, etc.). I really think the college success was the difference maker. Academic and leadership potential are the main factors considered as per the website.

Gaduunka

RATE/QUALS- GM2
AGE-26
TARGET PROGRAM- SWO
PERFORMANCE EVAULATIONS (Last 5, New to old)- EP, P, MP, EP, EP
COLLEGE- Associate’s of Arts (66/120 for BA)
HIGH SCHOOL- 3.8 GPA
LEADERSHIP- CFL, RSO, Team Leader, QA/SO
Awards: 2 NAMs
TIS- 7 years
ACT: 26 (24 English, 23 Math)
Internal Board: LT, LT, LT
External Board: CAPT, CAPT, LT
LOR: None

Here are my stats and I was selected this year. Ask away and I’ll answer questions about my statement and interviews.

slater44

None
Dudes, prior enlisted AT now riding a rhino. I have a sailor applying to STA-21 for next summer's board. She's telling me the age limit to earn a commish is now 32 for aviation designators (vice 27 with a 2 yr month for month extension like how it used to be)?

Further, anyone know roughly what the yield was for pilot/wso slots from last yr's board? Preemptively admitting my lazy ignorance and not using the ole "search" function. Roast me at will but then also lemme know. Thanks.

exNavyOffRec

Dudes, prior enlisted AT now riding a rhino. I have a sailor applying to STA-21 for next summer's board. She's telling me the age limit to earn a commish is now 32 for aviation designators (vice 27 with a 2 yr month for month extension like how it used to be)?

Further, anyone know roughly what the yield was for pilot/wso slots from last yr's board? Preemptively admitting my lazy ignorance and not using the ole "search" function. Roast me at will but then also lemme know. Thanks.

Quick search yielded the following results from last year: 3 pilot, 1 NFO, 2 core.

It is pretty slim, the reality is that STA-21 is really a nuke program.

slater44

None
Quick search yielded the following results from last year: 3 pilot, 1 NFO, 2 core.

It is pretty slim, the reality is that STA-21 is really a nuke program.
Right on, thanks. I'll cage her expectations appropriately and tell her to keep the press on for her college degree to go the OCS route if things don't work out.