• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY20 Oct. 28, 2019 SNA/NFO Board

Dolphin

I would assume no one would if the board is in October no? Does anyone know what the current time frame is from board to OCS?
There were candidates who were selected on the april board that were leaving as early as late may. Didnt seem too common but some folks do seem to ship within a month.

OperationChungus

pilot
There were candidates who were selected on the april board that were leaving as early as late may. Didnt seem too common but some folks do seem to ship within a month.

I don't finish school until May 2020 and wouldn't be able to ship until then. My recruiter wants me on this board just to get my packet done and out of the way so that we don't have to worry about it anymore. I've seen people ship out the next month and others not ship out for close to a year.

swmonroe88

pilot
I would assume no one would if the board is in October no? Does anyone know what the current time frame is from board to OCS?

Seems to be most are waiting a couple months, but my recruiter told me that big Navy is aware of guys like me (turning 31 in November) that need to get to OCS quickly and will likely push us towards the from of the line to ensure we graduate on time.

I've requested access to the spread sheet.

Got everyone's info added, but leaving the spreadsheet locked for the time being so that we don't accidentally lose all the data like they had happen in the August board's spreadsheet.

swmonroe88

pilot
SNA
OAR 70
AQR 9
PFAR 9
FOFAR 9
GPA 3.81 Mechanical Engineering
Age 23
Sex M
No prior service
FAA PPL 164 Hours

Welp... guess I found my competition ?

I will say, though... even though a STEM degree is by no means required to be a Naval Aviator, the mech/aero degree combined with a little bit of real world pilot time really sets one up to do well on the ASTB.

srp_4737

Thanks guys! And well said @swmonroe88 . I think having prior flight experience/engineering degree helped me a ton on the ASTB. By no means will this translate to me doing well in Navy Pilot training... just the test lol.

BTW, I haven't even gone through MEPS yet so I got a long road ahead. I have some screws in my ankle from a surgery back in 2009... fingers crossed that they don't DQ me for that? Looking forward to hopefully serving with you all. Best of luck!

swmonroe88

pilot
Thanks guys! And well said @swmonroe88 . I think having prior flight experience/engineering degree helped me a ton on the ASTB. By no means will this translate to me doing well in Navy Pilot training... just the test lol.

BTW, I haven't even gone through MEPS yet so I got a long road ahead. I have some screws in my ankle from a surgery back in 2009... fingers crossed that they don't DQ me for that? Looking forward to hopefully serving with you all. Best of luck!

I just cleared MEPS last Friday and honestly it wasn't as bad as I expected it to be (compared to how it was 10 years ago when I was enlisting). I had to submit ~100 pages of prior enlisted medical records/issues (back, knee, hearing, VA disability, and emergency room visits) and heard back in about 2.5 weeks that no waivers were immediately required. Medical interview in person was straightforward and painless because of all the documentation I provided.

I was worried about the AFVT depth perception due to failing it in 2009 and nearly losing my enlisted aircrew contract (despite passing 8 Navy flight physicals including depth perception after that), and raised this concern to the eye tech while in line for urinalysis. He pulled me aside and let me do the eye portion of the exam with him with the lights dimmed and as much time as I needed to get through lines A-D. He also mentioned that as of last week they were supposed to be using the Randot test (test with glasses which I found MUCH easier when I was a fleet Marine), but hadn't switched because no one was trained on it yet. I'd assume in the next couple weeks they will be changed over completely, but ymmv. Hope that alleviates at least a little stress.

srp_4737

I just cleared MEPS last Friday and honestly it wasn't as bad as I expected it to be (compared to how it was 10 years ago when I was enlisting). I had to submit ~100 pages of prior enlisted medical records/issues (back, knee, hearing, VA disability, and emergency room visits) and heard back in about 2.5 weeks that no waivers were immediately required. Medical interview in person was straightforward and painless because of all the documentation I provided.

I was worried about the AFVT depth perception due to failing it in 2009 and nearly losing my enlisted aircrew contract (despite passing 8 Navy flight physicals including depth perception after that), and raised this concern to the eye tech while in line for urinalysis. He pulled me aside and let me do the eye portion of the exam with him with the lights dimmed and as much time as I needed to get through lines A-D. He also mentioned that as of last week they were supposed to be using the Randot test (test with glasses which I found MUCH easier when I was a fleet Marine), but hadn't switched because no one was trained on it yet. I'd assume in the next couple weeks they will be changed over completely, but ymmv. Hope that alleviates at least a little stress.
That is very encouraging thank you. I also have heard horror stories about the DP test... So you got through A-D with no issues? Any tips? I heard adjusting your eyes in the same way you adjust them for the magic eye books helps. Did you do that?

MockingbirdT

Yea my recruiter told me the same thing about the Rando test for DP. She mentioned that's the same test you take up at OCS for your physical. I've read plenty of horror stories about the DP test. I'm scheduled for MEPS on 7/29 and I just went by my Optometrist today to double check my vision and cleared 20/20 uncorrected in both eyes, so we'll see!

swmonroe88

pilot
That is very encouraging thank you. I also have heard horror stories about the DP test... So you got through A-D with no issues? Any tips? I heard adjusting your eyes in the same way you adjust them for the magic eye books helps. Did you do that?

I did look at some magic eyes prior but found that the biggest gain was made by shifting my head just barely left to right at about 1 cycle/sec... this seemed to increase the perceived parallax between the "out" circle and the rest. Also remember it is ALWAYS dots 2, 3, or 4... 1 and 5 are never the answer.

srp_4737

Yea my recruiter told me the same thing about the Rando test for DP. She mentioned that's the same test you take up at OCS for your physical. I've read plenty of horror stories about the DP test. I'm scheduled for MEPS on 7/29 and I just went by my Optometrist today to double check my vision and cleared 20/20 uncorrected in both eyes, so we'll see!

I actually did the same thing. The company I work for gives you a free eye exam (lol super ironic because I obviously will have to quit if I get selected).

Anyway, I was 20/20 both and had perfect DP. Interested to see if I can get through that AFVT DP test...

srp_4737

I did look at some magic eyes prior but found that the biggest gain was made by shifting my head just barely left to right at about 1 cycle/sec... this seemed to increase the perceived parallax between the "out" circle and the rest. Also remember it is ALWAYS dots 2, 3, or 4... 1 and 5 are never the answer.

So you did not adjust your eyes like with magic eye books? You just looked straight at the dots and moved you head left and right?