• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY 2021 DCO Intel Board, Early Prep

mark0605

The only challenge I see for you Enlisting as a CTI is getting a TS/SCI which will include renouncing your non-US citizenship and relinquish your non-US passport(s).

On another note and despite the nonsense, as a non-military person, you can hold dual-citizenship and associated passports. It's something to consider. When you do become a dual citizen (your new US citizenship and your original) and are "dual doc'd" (holding a US passport and the passport of one or more passports from other countries) as we say, you will be highly marketable in the private sector, especially with your stated pedigree.
Might be slightly off-topic, but wanted to offer my two cents regarding dual-citizenship and renouncing non-US citizenship.

I'm assuming Jacobthemarine is a South Korean citizen waiting for naturalization, since he listed Korean DLPT.

Once he gets naturalized, he will have to forfeit his Korean citizenship because South Korea does not legally recognize dual/multiple citizenship for males. I know this, because I held South Korean citizenship until I got naturalized last year. I had to visit a Korean embassy to submit a request to forfeit my Korean citizenship (they don't even automatically do it for you.. smh). I chose to be proactive and get this done and out of the way, so that I won't run into any issues later on during my TS/SCI process.

Even if somebody were to hold dual citizenship (US/Korean), he/she would have to get a waiver for TS/SCI. Fortunately, South Korea is an allied nation and wouldn't necessarily be a huge obstacle.

I2N

The FY21 board schedule isn't out yet. Use the FY20 board schedule as a "guide" as to what to expect for FY21.
Okay. So we can presume packages due in August, boards in September, results in October/November? I was recently told "there's no guarantee they will hold another board this year".

@Jacobthemarine A few things to consider if you go enlisted CTI first:
  1. It will be a 6-year commitment to Active Duty (1-2 yrs in CA followed by 4-5 years likely in GA, MD, TX, or HI), putting you at probably 40 by the time you'd be able to commission.
  2. There's no guarantee you will get Korean. In fact, they are more likely to give you another language given you're fluent already.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Okay. So we can presume packages due in August, boards in September, results in October/November? I was recently told "there's no guarantee they will hold another board this year".

@Jacobthemarine A few things to consider if you go enlisted CTI first:
  1. It will be a 6-year commitment to Active Duty (1-2 yrs in CA followed by 4-5 years likely in GA, MD, TX, or HI), putting you at probably 40 by the time you'd be able to commission.
  2. There's no guarantee you will get Korean. In fact, they are more likely to give you another language given you're fluent already.

Possibly. Usually DCO boards have been in the early part of the year - but I would prepare for a late summer submission. Worst case, you are ahead of the game if the board shifts to January (2021).

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
@Jacobthemarine, FWIW, if I had to redesign my career from scratch, I'd have enlisted as CTI before getting my commission. CT rates get to do some cool stuff.
Pretty much. Then after being a CT for a little you would get commissioned as a CW/1815. IP and Intel are pretty meh. Knowing what I know now, I should have gone CW/1815.

SClawyer

Might be slightly off-topic, but wanted to offer my two cents regarding dual-citizenship and renouncing non-US citizenship.

I'm assuming Jacobthemarine is a South Korean citizen waiting for naturalization, since he listed Korean DLPT.

Once he gets naturalized, he will have to forfeit his Korean citizenship because South Korea does not legally recognize dual/multiple citizenship for males. I know this, because I held South Korean citizenship until I got naturalized last year. I had to visit a Korean embassy to submit a request to forfeit my Korean citizenship (they don't even automatically do it for you.. smh). I chose to be proactive and get this done and out of the way, so that I won't run into any issues later on during my TS/SCI process.

Even if somebody were to hold dual citizenship (US/Korean), he/she would have to get a waiver for TS/SCI. Fortunately, South Korea is an allied nation and wouldn't necessarily be a huge obstacle.

As a minor point of clarification, the 2017 updates to the security clearance adjudicative guidelines (Guideline C, in this instance) do not strictly require that someone forfeit dual citizenship and/or foreign passports as used to be the case. You have to state your willingness to forfeit them, and it may be required or even just advisable if the country in question is not a U.S. ally, but it is no longer a firm requirement. So you don't need to do it before you get started with the process if you'd like to keep the option open.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
Go through the process and let people do their jobs. Do not do their jobs for them. Disclose and await feedback.

mark0605

As a minor point of clarification, the 2017 updates to the security clearance adjudicative guidelines (Guideline C, in this instance) do not strictly require that someone forfeit dual citizenship and/or foreign passports as used to be the case. You have to state your willingness to forfeit them, and it may be required or even just advisable if the country in question is not a U.S. ally, but it is no longer a firm requirement. So you don't need to do it before you get started with the process if you'd like to keep the option open.

Right, from the US point of view there is no immediate need to forfeit foreign citizenship. But I was pointing to the fact that South Korea does not recognize dual citizenship. Therefore, he would have to either not pursue naturalization in the US to keep his Korean citizenship, or forfeit his Korean citizenship and obtain US citizenship.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
South Korea does not recognize dual citizenship
There are exceptions for South Korean dual citizenship.

The United States does not formally recognize dual citizenship either. This does not mean you have to forfeit your other citizenship. My spouse is a dual citizen and has two passports. No issues with that or with my SCI.

Folks, consult an attorney for this stuff before attempting to Sea Lawyer the citizenship laws. If you have question about adjudication guidelines, contact your SSO and let them do their job. Answer the forms and the questions asked. Then stay in your lane and standby.

mark0605

There are exceptions for South Korean dual citizenship.

The United States does not formally recognize dual citizenship either. This does not mean you have to forfeit your other citizenship. My spouse is a dual citizen and has two passports. No issues with that or with my SCI.

Folks, consult an attorney for this stuff before attempting to Sea Lawyer the citizenship laws. If you have question about adjudication guidelines, contact your SSO and let them do their job.

Of course there are exceptions, but if you are naturally born a Korean national, you MUST forfeit Korean citizenship upon obtaining a different one. I know this because I explored every legal possibility to keep my Korean citizenship (I even fulfilled my mandatory military service in Korea), but was unable to do so after being naturalized in the states.

Here is something you can review:
https://www.dualcitizenshipreport.org/dual-citizenship/south-korea/

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
How the heck does South Korea know what citizenships you have? Do they base it on the fact that you are living elsewhere and then ding you when you show up to South Korea with your South Korean passport?

mark0605

How the heck does South Korea know what citizenships you have? Do they base it on the fact that you are living elsewhere and then ding you when you show up to South Korea with your South Korean passport?

It's rare that they discover without you (Korean citizen) self-reporting and forfeiting status. But, if anybody requests a background/credit check on you for whatever reason, they will find out. At that point, it would be illegal to exercise any right or identification as a Korean. If you plan on never living in Korea full-time and/or never have any inheritance to receive from family, it wouldn't matter if you don't voluntarily forfeit your Korean citizenship. Otherwise, it would be wiser to self-report and forfeit it before any future complications occur.

jad3105

DCO board for Mar 23 was pushed today to May per OR. I don't know what this means for scheduling another board this year. Oct will be FY21 and may start a new cycle.