• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY 20 IWC DCO Board

surf3001x

Fully Qualified
I wouldn't be surprised that chiefs (and even first classes) would fill most of the recruiter billets with a handful of OICs. Sure an actual officer recruiter could give some insight but not much more outside of their desginator. A chief may get an applicant some insight into what they're possibly heading into but I gleaned way more from my pre-board interviews then even talking directly to SWOs and other O's in my day to day work.

A disadvantage I could see would be a first class not having as much weight to throw around whereas a chief can get things done if needed. I think my OR ran into that issue a handful of times.

exNavyOffRec

I wouldn't be surprised that chiefs (and even first classes) would fill most of the recruiter billets with a handful of OICs. Sure an actual officer recruiter could give some insight but not much more outside of their desginator. A chief may get an applicant some insight into what they're possibly heading into but I gleaned way more from my pre-board interviews then even talking directly to SWOs and other O's in my day to day work.

A disadvantage I could see would be a first class not having as much weight to throw around whereas a chief can get things done if needed. I think my OR ran into that issue a handful of times.

The DCO recruiters used to be all officers, while the active recruiters were the ones with the mix of officer and enlisted, I should have specified that.

On the active side it worked well, a variety of officers from different designators and a variety of CPO's from sub, surface, and aviation. There wasn't an answer that we couldn't get.

Yes the E-6 and below would often be left out, there would be all Khaki meeting that would have info for the OR's that the E-6 and below would get after the fact, and they often couldn't just call the PM at NRC as it wasn't a CPO to CPO conversation.

fieldrat

Fully Qualified 1815
I need to press for my OCS class date

I'm hoping you meant ODS...

If you truly are going active-duty (via OCS), then your (entry) paperwork will be squared away for you. You'll have enough stress with all the yelling.

ODS is waay more chill than OCS (from what I hear; DCOIC was the 2wk equiv when I came through a few years ago, so definitely more chill by comparison). The trade-off is that you are instantly commissioned before going to school, and expected to know everything, or where to go look to find "all the things"...

a_dub

"flank" speed
They're welcome to lose me so long as my TIG date starts asap! This will also give me the backing I need to press for my OCS class date, I've obviously read here that with the shrinking class sizes everyone's getting shifted to the right.

If you're currently in the reserves (and referring to ODS) I was able to get my ODS class date scheduled by the Training O at the NOSC. Just went to CANTRAC, found my desired dates, emailed him, and within 48 hours has a confirmation email for the end of Feb (packing warm clothes).

OmoOba

If you're currently in the reserves (and referring to ODS) I was able to get my ODS class date scheduled by the Training O at the NOSC. Just went to CANTRAC, found my desired dates, emailed him, and within 48 hours has a confirmation email for the end of Feb (packing warm clothes).
Very true on that, the TO can make the class request for you. Also there are some updates regarding reschedule for the remaining FY and FY21 due covid19. They shrinking the class roster down to 100 per class going forward.. I have the updated schedule sent from my OR. I can forward you the schedule if you want.

OmoOba

Thought I provide an update on the process.
-My DD368 came back approved from PERS - Jul23.
-OR uploaded in the system - Jul24
-OR informed all Comdocs ready to go - Aug3
Will be commissioning early next week.

fieldrat

Fully Qualified 1815
Very true on that, the TO can make the class request for you. Also there are some updates regarding reschedule for the remaining FY and FY21 due covid19. They shrinking the class roster down to 100 per class going forward.. I have the updated schedule sent from my OR. I can forward you the schedule if you want.
I want. Plz & thx!

surf3001x

Fully Qualified

Good gouge thank you, I did misspeak in my rush to respond and said OCS vice ODS! I'll definitely be pushing for the first date I can get in, I'm dreading a possible winter timeline, but I'll adjust. I wasn't really looking forward to OCS having gone through boot back in 2005, but even going through boot again would be much easier the second time around.

From all accounts ODS sounds like a pleasure cruise.

Have you heard any details on expected ROM? I'm in Florida so I will undoubtely fly up, which will get me a 14-day ticket in quarantine, has your NOSC provided any insight into how that's handled? I assume 14-days is lumped onto the start of your trip in DTS? I'm curious about the 14-days on return? Do they treat that as part of the TDY?

Will be interesting putting in a leave chit with my day-job for 50 to 64 days if so.

Thought I provide an update on the process.
-My DD368 came back approved from PERS - Jul23.
-OR uploaded in the system - Jul24
-OR informed all Comdocs ready to go - Aug3
Will be commissioning early next week.

Awesome news! I also got word that I commission this Tuesday. Could you forward me a copy of that schedule as well? Would be nice to have the dates ready to provide to both my TO and local command (day job).

Honestly with all things considered this whole process hasn't been terrible albeit I may be a little numb to the grinding of the big machine by now.

camden76

That's good to hear. I actually commission tomorrow. My application actually got lost and ended up in a purgatory of sorts until this week.

surf3001x

Fully Qualified
That's awesome camden76!

If anyone gets some solid gouge on how the NOSCs are treating the ROM to and from Newport I'd love to hear it (you can PM if you don't want to post here obviously).

For travel within the DoD now we're adding 14 days to the front of the trip, then working from home for 14 days upon return, and that's IF the travel is approved.

I'm curious if they'll keep you on orders (aka pay you) for both 14 day quarantines.

I2N

I heard today that current SELRES enlisted members pursuing DCO may be forced to take a MOB prior to commissioning. Has anyone else heard this? Any more information if you have? Thanks.

jrh0425

Hello,

Been reading through the posts for a while.

Applying for Septembers board, 1820 IP/1815 CW

Mil Stats:
Prior Active Duty - 4 years, IT.
Current AF reservist, 4 years. Cyberspace Operations Unit

Education Stats:
BS in Computer Management and Information Systems - GPA = 3.32 Southern Illinois University-Edwardsville
MS in Cyber Security Management - expected grad. 12/21 - GPA = 4.0 Washington University-STL

Certifications: PMP, CCNP, CCNA Security, Splunk Core User, Sec+, CISSP (just passed, waiting for the endorsement process to complete)

Worked as a network engineer for that past 18+ years.

trakanon

Contributor
Hello,

Mil Stats:

Education Stats:
BS in Computer Management and Information Systems - GPA = 3.32 Southern Illinois University-Edwardsville
MS in Cyber Security Management - expected grad. 12/21 - GPA = 4.0 Washington University-STL

Certifications: PMP, CCNP, CCNA Security, Splunk Core User, Sec+, CISSP (just passed, waiting for the endorsement process to complete)

Welcome jrh0425 best of luck to you!

OmoOba

Hello,

Mil Stats:

Education Stats:

You have a shot! Give it all you got and work well with your recruiter and the processor. Make sure all your required checklists are completed. If you happen to be outside that age bracket, turn in your age waiver. Some applicants were determined ineligible on last board from what I gathered because of the non-submission of required age waiver. I wish you the best of luck.