• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY-20 active O-5 results

WhiskeySierra6

pilot
There have been cases where people have screened for command, then not picked up O5. Different boards have different personalities and value slightly different things. Stat board might place very little value on things like CDO/UW and JPME, where ACSB makes those de facto requirements. Also depends on how well your record is briefed in both cases.
Huge Rog. Subjective and may change from board to board. Thanks.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
I am 8 months from end of DH tour and picking post-DH orders

The peculiarities of the ACSB notwithstanding, I bet you have pretty good career SA on where you stand in your DH Tour and if that record is competitive for Command. Are you in the running for a long (>7-8 month) #1? Ideally your front office has signaled to you already roughly what your record will look like come O4 FITREP time, as it plays for post-DH orders.

This year helos (both HSC and HSM) took zero from a Test Background for OP Command. Also we're now significantly down the road of the maturity of the Helo WTI career path and its relative primacy, whereas just a few years back that wasn't the case and Test backgrounds seemed to play more. My second CO back in 2014 was from a TPS background, but they seem less and less these days. The board is also discriminating every tour, so those 3 years of NOBs may hurt more than ever now.

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
The peculiarities of the ACSB notwithstanding, I bet you have pretty good career SA on where you stand in your DH Tour and if that record is competitive for Command. Are you in the running for a long (>7-8 month) #1? Ideally your front office has signaled to you already roughly what your record will look like come O4 FITREP time, as it plays for post-DH orders.

This year helos (both HSC and HSM) took zero from a Test Background for OP Command. Also we're now significantly down the road of the maturity of the Helo WTI career path and its relative primacy, whereas just a few years back that wasn't the case and Test backgrounds seemed to play more. My second CO back in 2014 was from a TPS background, but they seem less and less these days. The board is also discriminating every tour, so those 3 years of NOBs may hurt more than ever now.
That was my point -- my poor timing in my shore tour was a big hit to my record.

Assuming I get the #1, it will be 7-mo, but my own understanding and what I've been told by XO, detailer, placement, and other PERS-43 players is that after the #1/ticket length cut, the next thing looked at by ACSB is shore breakouts. I don't have one because I rolled into my test tour as an O-4(S) then competed with my own post-DH boss on my highwater in a summary group of 5.

This is why I'm focusing on a post-DH job that's fulfilling, and IMO best uses my skills/strengths to support/improve the rotary community, rather than a hard fill/community job that ultimately won't affect my ACSB chances.

kejo

pilot

It's becoming pretty clear that while a long-ticket #1 DH still opens the door for HSM/HSC command, FRS/WTI shore tour (w/ competetive FITREP) is now a hard requirement to push you through said door. Test/HT/VT need not apply...regardless of what else you do and how well you do there. On the other hand we're doing a pretty good job of setting people up for O-5, shouldn't be any problems filling those CVN Safety-O billets for a while.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
@IKE Seems like you've got good SA on it, as much as that's a hard pill to swallow. Hope you find something rewarding.

@kejo I feel similarly and it's partially why, even if I could go back as a DH after my CNATRA shore tour, my heart isn't in it. I'd have a tough time trying to bust my ass knowing the FRS/WWS guy I showed up next to has to fumble for me to have a chance at something beyond.

Pags

N/A
pilot
It's becoming pretty clear that while a long-ticket #1 DH still opens the door for HSM/HSC command, FRS/WTI shore tour (w/ competetive FITREP) is now a hard requirement to push you through said door. Test/HT/VT need not apply...regardless of what else you do and how well you do there. On the other hand we're doing a pretty good job of setting people up for O-5, shouldn't be any problems filling those CVN Safety-O billets for a while.
Don't forget that Test can get a bit "funny" because it opens other non-fleet doors such as Test Command and Acquisition opportunities.

kejo

pilot
Don't forget that Test can get a bit "funny" because it opens other non-fleet doors such as Test Command and Acquisition opportunities.
Totally right about that, I was talking strictly to OP. Hell, even OP-T, you think they'd like prior orange/white guys and gals to fill those TRAWING CO spots but you'd be wrong!

thump

pilot
....Test/HT/VT need not apply...

This is basically in the PERS brief for Fleet JOs already - “Test is a second tier career path.” Coupled with declining JO interest in TPS, it’s starting to get some attention in the community, for whatever that’s worth.

Recent change to ACSB language regarding HX and several other test squadrons made them a bonus command. Wisdom of that aside - and even considering AEDOs - the population of officers qualified and interested has got to be pretty small.

Pags

N/A
pilot
This is basically in the PERS brief for Fleet JOs already - “Test is a second tier career path.” Coupled with declining JO interest in TPS, it’s starting to get some attention in the community, for whatever that’s worth.

Recent change to ACSB language regarding HX and several other test squadrons made them a bonus command. Wisdom of that aside - and even considering AEDOs - the population of officers qualified and interested has got to be pretty small.
60 test might have less interest because there's not much new 60 work going on.

I haven't read the precept language in a long time but the way it was explained to me was that the larger test squadrons (HX-21, VX-20, 23) are Second Command In Grade for Test. First command for Test is either a smaller test squadron or GFTD for a large program. For instance, the MQ-8 GFTD was in a command billet. Also, the current CTP of HX-21 was the former 53K GFTD (and a USN 60 bubba). I think MQ-4 and NGJ GFTDs are also first command billets.

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
I believe PERS-43 is fixing that part of the brief. Test is only second tier if it screws with your ability to have a competitive EP, and then only for ACSB. I would venture to guess a peer of mine who got a #1 LT EP at HX and worked as an aide before his DH tour will have a good shot at OP CMD.

kejo

pilot
I believe PERS-43 is fixing that part of the brief. Test is only second tier if it screws with your ability to have a competitive EP, and then only for ACSB. I would venture to guess a peer of mine who got a #1 LT EP at HX and worked as an aide before his DH tour will have a good shot at OP CMD.
Unless the pendulum swings away from the results of the previous several ACSB's, respectfully, they probably don't. I hope it does.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Not true. We’re slammed with Romeo projects and will take all the help we can get...
Right on. I haven't stayed very current on what's going on at 299. My buddy at VX-1 hasn't done much 60 work lately beyond a few smaller scale projects like DAIRCM (or whatever the 60 guys it)