• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY-15 ADHSB

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
Great advice above. There are tons of people hiring right now. Start your networking fu going. If you have half a brain and at least one brain cell with social skills, you will get a good paying job. Talk to your friends and see what they are doing. I was highly considering a non flying career, and I got a lot of leads in a short amount of time. Big companies (Amazon comes to mind) love hiring transitioning officers because what we do and what they want are very similar, just in different settings. As a last resort, contact one of the big head hunters. They will get you in the front door, but in the end are serving two customers and may not always have your best interest in mind.
Get help with interview coaching. I don't care if you use a pay service or what the military provides through GPS, you will need help with the interview.

Pap

Naval Aviator
pilot
There has been some great advice in this thread regarding civilian job seeking. The one mistake I saw many of my friends routinely make in their last 5-6 months on active duty was to prioritize their military duties at the expense of their civilian job search.

Let's face it, your active duty military career is over. It's not coming back. It's gone, gone, gone. Stop spending 14 hours a day at work, or taking that last minute TDY in your last month on active duty just because your Ops O/Skipper "really needed you" there. You are no longer part of the team. You are now cannon fodder for the YG behind you. You need to start looking out for your family. In your last 6 months on active duty, you need to be selfish. Your C.O. Is not going to pay your rent when you get booted from base housing, no matter how great of a job you did running the Change of Command in that last month. You have a million things you need to do in order to get a good paying job (network, network, network, career fairs, network, interview prep, network, head hunters, network, ATP, network, compile your military log book, network, to name a few)

Where are you going to live (need to find a place: rent or buy)? Where are you going to work? Where is the health insurance going to come from after your 6 months of TriCare is over? Can you get into a Reserve unit (which one, where, flying/non-flying, can you maintain flying currency, have to go through an FRS syllabus)?

There are a million little things you need to take care of before your fat active duty paycheck stops automatically showing up in your bank account twice a month. I'm not advocating that after a decade of honorable service, you become a dirt bag in your last few months in the USN. However, you do need to get your priorities straight. Your family's welfare comes before the needs of the service. BTW, it's the same service that just told you to not let the doorknob hit you on your ass on the way out.

PhrogLoop

Adulting is hard
pilot
Attending a great grad school/MBA program is another way to retool/rebrand yourself if you want options other than the airlines. Depending on the school and style of program (full-time, evening, weekend) you'll also have access to a fantastic network of classmates and alumni who will be more than happy to help further your post-Navy career. Dirty little secret: most of the corporate world has NO idea what the fuck is a FITREP, O-4 Board, or #1EP. Last bit of unsolicited advice: if you're considering grad school but concerned about how to pay for it, message me. Use the Post 9-11 GI Bill on yourself and create a future where you'll be able to write a check for your kids' education.

Pags

N/A
pilot
I understand that the wound is stil very fresh for those of you who just found out that you've FOSd, but don't despair. If this is your first FOS, you now have ~18mo until your next FOS and transition to the civilian world to develop a plan for your life after the Navy. On the plus side, since you've been given the boot, the Navy will give you a decent severance check and transitional healthcare along with the boot. If you plan well and have a job waiting for you, that severance check could be a very nice down payment for a house and a substantial investment. It can also be used to help you along if you can't find work for awhile. While you have a paying job now, I'd work hard on getting rid of debt and building as much cash as possible over the next 18mo.

The painful truth is that the AZ screen rates are awful and if you've already FOSd once you're probably going to FOS again. Whatever it was in your record that caused your first FOS will not go away and odds are that you will not be able to fix a broken record. Pap and the others are correct: don't waste your time trying to be the best Naval Officer/Aviator during your last 18mo in the Navy. That ship has sailed. Your efforts now need to be focused in setting yourself up for civilian life.

I'd recommend taking the next 18mo come up with a plan as to what you want to do and where you want to do it. But please ensure that your plan is robust. One of my buds who FOSd decided he was going to go back to Maine and had a lot of trouble finding work. Others kept their options more open and found work. If you want to fly, get your quals and certs. If you want to do something else, research that field and see what you can do to strengthen your resume. A lot of the Fortune 500 companies have specific programs set up for transitioning JOs (I think they're scoped more for youngers guys who got out after 4yrs, but something to consider). Talk to your boys who have gotten out and see if they like what they do. Get on LinkedIn and reach out to 2nd degree connections who are in jobs you might be interested and chat with them.

Bottom line is that you have plenty of time to set yourself up for a succesful transition if you play it right and you have the benefit of a severance, something your peers who are dropping their letters won't have.

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
I know several 1310's who FOS'd x 2, one went FTS the other Selres. Both got picked up on their last board and are now O-4's.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Even MasterBates made it in the IRR after his second or third look in the reserves so there is hope even for the best of us. :)

Pap

Naval Aviator
pilot
Don't forget about FTS or SELRES.

Before you go down the FTS track, look at the FTS O5 selection rates, as well as FTS command screen rates. Though you will most likely pick up O4 as a FTS guy, if your record was not good enough to avoid getting passed over twice while on active duty as a 1310/1320, then you will have a very hard time getting selected for FTS O5.

So, the most likely scenario of redesignating to FTS after being 2 x FOS'd out, is that you will retire as a terminal O4 while bouncing in between tours at a NOSC and random staff jobs.

Nothing wrong with being a terminal O4. However, you need to have realistic expectations before you embark on a new career path. I recommend that you talk to a FTS CO/XO in order to get a better idea of the FTS career path as well as your chances of upward mobility in that community.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
So let me ask some questions in public here:
I was a #3 EP coming out of first sea tour (not bad for a non-IP in P-3's) and am in the middle of my tour in VT-land.
I start negotiating orders in about two months. I have been very up front with the front office about my desire to do this job for as long as they will let me, and to possibly make Skipper one day.
Reality check: I am in VT's looking at my O-4 board for FY-17 (April 16) thus my last high water Fitrep will be the CoC next spring. Will also be JPME complete by then.
Assuming that goes well, paper-wise, should I look at an early transfer to get ahead on my next job (east coast Shooter is the plan) or PCS Sept. 2015 as planned knowing by the time schools/Christmas are done I will have no real time on the job prior to my last competitive Fitrep prior to the board (Feb 2016) which, from what I understand, will be a P/MP at the bottom of the pile. (Timing!)
What would you suggest?
Looking at the numbers, which to be honest, have my wife and me worried, I am not at the top competitive level with my WTI, VP-30 brethren. Sweating has begun...
Pickle

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Depending on the specific community, a 1xFOS actually makes it a bit easier to apply for FTS as the individual records are free game for the FTS detailer. Without a FOS the individual either has to drop a letter of resignation or just hope the active duty detailer is nice and let's the record go to the FTS board, which can be tough getting an active duty detailer to do.

If I'm not mistaken, a 2xFOS can't apply for FTS.

As for not making FTS O-5, not true. I work with a few O-5s in my squadron that FOSd once on the active duty side and are O-5s. One guy who FOSd once for active duty O-4 is about to pin on O-5 and is more than likely going to screen for command. Things work a little bit differently on the FTS side.

SlickAg

pilot
If I'm not mistaken, a 2xFOS can't apply for FTS.

From the FTS redesignation board website:

g. AC officers on the Active Duty List (ADL) who have failed of selection once or twice for promotion to the next higher paygrade (1xFOS or 2xFOS) are eligible to apply. AC officers who have failed of selection more than twice for promotion to the next higher paygrade are not eligible to apply.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Before you go down the FTS track, look at the FTS O5 selection rates, as well as FTS command screen rates. Though you will most likely pick up O4 as a FTS guy, if your record was not good enough to avoid getting passed over twice while on active duty as a 1310/1320, then you will have a very hard time getting selected for FTS O5.

So, the most likely scenario of redesignating to FTS after being 2 x FOS'd out, is that you will retire as a terminal O4 while bouncing in between tours at a NOSC and random staff jobs.

Nothing wrong with being a terminal O4. However, you need to have realistic expectations before you embark on a new career path. I recommend that you talk to a FTS CO/XO in order to get a better idea of the FTS career path as well as your chances of upward mobility in that community.

Historically, this was true, but the O-5 selection rate has skyrocketed in the last 2 years since they culled the herd a couple of years ago. Many of he folks here are saying they're 2 EP tour guys, which is certainly better than a standard Reservist who historically has an "average" FITREP coming out of their last tour when they made it known they were bailing.

You still need to come out of your DH tour strong, but it's much easier to get to O-5 as a FTS right now than it is to make O-4 on the AC side...for better or worse.

From the FTS redesignation board website:

g. AC officers on the Active Duty List (ADL) who have failed of selection once or twice for promotion to the next higher paygrade (1xFOS or 2xFOS) are eligible to apply. AC officers who have failed of selection more than twice for promotion to the next higher paygrade are not eligible to apply.

Interesting. That's fairly new. Probably a result of the drought thanks to Wings +8.

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
I was a #3 EP coming out of first sea tour (not bad for a non-IP in P-3's) and am in the middle of my tour in VT-land.
I start negotiating orders in about two months. I have been very up front with the front office about my desire to do this job for as long as they will let me, and to possibly make Skipper one day.
Reality check: I am in VT's looking at my O-4 board for FY-17 (April 16) thus my last high water Fitrep will be the CoC next spring. Will also be JPME complete by then.
Assuming that goes well, paper-wise, should I look at an early transfer to get ahead on my next job (east coast Shooter is the plan) or PCS Sept. 2015 as planned knowing by the time schools/Christmas are done I will have no real time on the job prior to my last competitive Fitrep prior to the board (Feb 2016) which, from what I understand, will be a P/MP at the bottom of the pile. (Timing!)
What would you suggest?
Looking at the numbers, which to be honest, have my wife and me worried, I am not at the top competitive level with my WTI, VP-30 brethren. Sweating has begun...
Pickle

Pickle,
The boat is a tiebreaker. There are some dudes who can go there and break out (mostly FOs) prior to the board and that's great. Most won't. Same with your O-4 fitrep there. Most leave with one competitive look and it's usually a P or maybe a MP. I wouldn't sweat it just because there are tons of other guys in your same situation. Unless you can get there early and get into a job that is going to make you shine (ops admin, a strike, anav) there isn't any point in gaming it. With the abysmal selection rates this year, I would keep one foot in the door and one outside poking around to see what else is out there. FTS, SELRES, etc, are all great options.

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
What would you suggest?
Pickle

I rolled early out of my first shore tour (FRS), but I had zero doubt about making O-4 in the climate of the time, and it was part of a larger plan to set up my timing for the next tour. I wouldn't roll early out of shore duty unless it is to set up your timing for the billet AFTER your next sea tour.