• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY-15 ADHSB

NUFO06

None
I can tell you that my detailer says that PERS-43 is looking through every single record, select and non-select, to "figure out what went wrong". Sounds like PERS-8 has caught even the 43 guys off-guard.
In other news, I've seen a few guys post something to the effect that "the percentages may be bad but the numbers are comparable to last year". That's bullshit. Last year 105 IZ 1320's were selected out of 166. This year it was 72 out of 155. That's a huge difference and given the similarity between the two available pools I find the YG issue to be moot for 1320's. If I'm wrong please enlighten me.

Not mention PERS 43 was panicking last year about the low numbers selected.

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
Yeah, and you have about 2 weeks to get your ATP written done before it gets recockulously difficult.....
^^^^This. Even if staying in the Navy for life is your plan: take the ATP written now.

I recommend using this site as well:
www.sheppardair.com

72 hours, from download to test. Got a 96% and all my money back (I reported a question that wasn't in their bank).

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
The online equivelent of "OK, the admiral is plugged into ICS now..."?

It wasn't meant that way. There's plenty of of open discussion in the "O4 List" thread which is on the public side, as well.

Just trying to make both threads accessible to those that don't have access to the PNA section (read: junior aviators/students) so they can get the info. Both threads have been really good. Combining the threads would have made a mess.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
I can tell you that my detailer says that PERS-43 is looking through every single record, select and non-select, to "figure out what went wrong". Sounds like PERS-8 has caught even the 43 guys off-guard.
In other news, I've seen a few guys post something to the effect that "the percentages may be bad but the numbers are comparable to last year". That's bullshit. Last year 105 IZ 1320's were selected out of 166. This year it was 72 out of 155. That's a huge difference and given the similarity between the two available pools I find the YG issue to be moot for 1320's. If I'm wrong please enlighten me.

That would be me, and admittedly I've looked only at 1310, where my run on numbers was correct, even though it still doesn't change the ridiculously low selection rate. On the 1320 side, you guys were just straight up fucked.

It's still taking Pers by surprise though. My CO/XO were talking for a long time to the placement officer because as you said, all the folks in the aviation side in Millington are freaking the f out.

Thinking about it from another point of view though, something that was brought up yesterday at work, it may not necessarily be that the zones were skewed too big this year, it may be that Pers-43 needed a lot more aviators selected as 65%-75% of 571 would be 380-430 dudes selected. Instead, Pers-43 is now looking at a 80-130 body shortfall. On the 1320 side, it was a range of 100-115 bodies, leading to a 30-55 body shortfall.

mdubs

pilot
Just to throw fuel on the fire, my buddy compared the P-3 Bubba list to the O-4 select list. It isn't pretty...

45/123 IZ Pilots Selected= 36%
0 AZ Pilots Selected=0%

19/62 IZ NFOs Selected=30%
2/26 AZ NFOs Selected=7%

Fmr1833

Shut the F#%k up, dummy!
None
Contributor
And was then moved to the public side for a reason.
Got it. Just saying that when we start a conversation in the Private forum we have an expectation that it won't move to the Public arena. If I wanted to make my comments in a place where everyone could see and comment I would have posted in public. That's sort of the whole point of a Private forum. If this mirrors a public discussion then that too is the point since we may want to go deeper here.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Got it. Just saying that when we start a conversation in the Private forum we have an expectation that it won't move to the Public arena. If I wanted to make my comments in a place where everyone could see and comment I would have posted in public. That's sort of the whole point of a Private forum. If this mirrors a public discussion then that too is the point since we may want to go deeper here.

A valid point. I would just caution you in considering that the PNA section is actually "private." If the concern is O-5 and above reading it, they too have access to the PNA section if they have wings and/or have asked for it. In the past, we've had numerous such individuals (CNATRA, CAGs, someone high up at PERS, etc).

Personally, I think this is a topic that needs to be blasted up the chain in all forms, this site included. I'd argue it's a good thing for the birds and stars to hear how pissed off the JOs are and the very likely fallout that will follow.

Fmr1833

Shut the F#%k up, dummy!
None
Contributor
A valid point. I would just caution you in considering that the PNA section is actually "private." If the concern is O-5 and above reading it, they too have access to the PNA section if they have wings and/or have asked for it. In the past, we've had numerous such individuals (CNATRA, CAGs, someone high up at PERS, etc).

Personally, I think this is a topic that needs to be blasted up the chain in all forms, this site included. I'd argue it's a good thing for the birds and stars to hear how pissed off the JOs are and the very likely fallout that will follow.
I agree...and apologize; I'm a little punchy right now...my son was born the same day the results came out so I'm in a glass case of emotion! My concern was selfish; mainly that I didn't wish to share my shame and anger with anyone other than my fellow NAs and FOs. But I see the value of showing this to everyone. As for senior leadership actually paying attention...I may have believed that a week ago but now I don't believe anything. Besides, they have four options and only one of those is realistic:
1) do nothing and have a huge selection next year...eating the DH bullet for a year
2) have a supplemental board to fix the coming DH mess and instill some sanity to this situation
3) open the floodgates on AZ guys next year
4) petition to have the process changed.

Either way, I fear I'm done and since this is public let me just share with the youngsters out there that this blows. You don't know fear until you've started looking for a job in the civilian world. Things I have never worried about before keep me awake now. Seriously.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Either way, I fear I'm done and since this is public let me just share with the youngsters out there that this blows. You don't know fear until you've started looking for a job in the civilian world. Things I have never worried about before keep me awake now. Seriously.
I know you've got a little one now to add to the stress; I'm certainly glad that I'm jobhunting as a footloose bachelor. And I can certainly empathize, as I definitely left active duty under a similar cloud of rage and pissoff. To be blunt, there are days I'm still in an angry funk over things that don't need to be whined about here. And this jobhunting quest is certainly scary shit. And you've got more right to be angry than I did, as you had double the case for making rank that my terminal flight-student-ass had. THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH BEING PISSED OFF ABOUT THIS, and I don't think I've seen you take it into the realm of unprofessionalism online.

It's piss-poor consolation, I know, but the Navy is going give you a huge chunk of change on the backside to figure out the rest of your life. And I certainly don't make the admissions decisions, but I wish like hell I had half the paper you've got to get my foot in the door with a hardware squadron. And I'll third the Reserves as I've told you privately; I've got the time, so they're following up my two weeks of paid time in San Diego with another paycheck to go to WESTPAC for more work. The stress level may have gone up, and there's still shit I'm trying to get over, but life didn't end with my DD-214, and neither did my military career.

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor

First off, take a deep breath and realize that you don't have to find a job TODAY. Yes, it is coming faster than you expected, but you also have more resources than you currently realize. This thread is the one I made to chronicle my post-retirement job plans, but there is plenty of other advice scattered around here in various threads (including the airliner ones if that is your thing), and even more in the great wide world of the internet.

Don't forget to take advantage of every inch of help the military provides transitioning veterans (and there is quite a bit). Reconnect on LinkedIn with squadron mates who got out and seem to have their crap in one sock, especially if they are in the kinds of industries you are interested in. Ask them what they did, get help with your resume, reach out to people in companies that have jobs you are interested in to get yourself around the HR gate guards. Some of us on here hire for our companies, and can give you the straight scoop on what you can expect and what realistic goals might be for you.

Some people take getting passed over or pushed out as a sign that they are fundamentally flawed, and withdraw from their peers as a result. That is nuts to me - everybody gets rejected at some point by the military: even the CJCS gets told to GTFO at some point. Don't withdraw from your support structure, whatever that is, and reach out for help when you need it.