• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY 08 STA-21 Status

mh53eflyguy

Stashed...again.
Here is a somewhat stupid question, but how soon are the STA-21 board expecting the degree plan, the medical info, the acceptance letter, and the NROTC acceptance? The instructions do not say, however, I want to ensure that I do not lose my spot! Also, what seems to be the maximum amount of classes per credit hour that they generally find acceptable? I'm sure this varies somewhat between school to school. For example, I'm looking at 5-6 classes per semester, including summer terms.
This Degree planning has wiped the smile off my face! Dealing with the college over the phone is not very fun!

OneBadSSS

FY08 STA-21 Pilot Selectee/Currently at ODU
Here is a somewhat stupid question, but how soon are the STA-21 board expecting the degree plan, the medical info, the acceptance letter, and the NROTC acceptance? The instructions do not say, however, I want to ensure that I do not lose my spot! Also, what seems to be the maximum amount of classes per credit hour that they generally find acceptable? I'm sure this varies somewhat between school to school. For example, I'm looking at 5-6 classes per semester, including summer terms.
This Degree planning has wiped the smile off my face! Dealing with the college over the phone is not very fun!

My ESO (FY04 selectee) told me that we'll all get an information package sent to us from the Selection Board in P-Cola that will give us our tentative class-up date for NSI (or BOOST if you're headed there first) and detailed instructions as to what documents you need to secure and submit (medical forms, college degree plan and acceptance letter, etc.). I'm just like you though, I'm axious as hell to just get all my s*** done and turned in!! I talked to my ship's doc about getting an appointment scheduled for my flight physical and I already have my acceptance letter from ODU. I'm going to make an appointment to go see a counselor at ODU to get my degree plan drafted sometime this week for next week if I can get over there. I say just start working on the stuff now and when the info package comes in, READ IT! lol

EM1toNFO

Killing insurgents with my 'messages'!!
None
Well, I called P-cola yesterday, as I was worried aobu t it as well, He told me that most people don't have their acceptnace letter and physcial turned in until January. After they place you at a college, then you get your degree plan.

OneBadSSS

Well, I called P-cola yesterday, as I was worried aobu t it as well, He told me that most people don't have their acceptnace letter and physcial turned in until January. After they place you at a college, then you get your degree plan.

So I should just send in my acceptance letter now to guarantee my spot at ODU??

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
So I should just send in my acceptance letter now to guarantee my spot at ODU??

I would be very careful about that. You don't want to commit to some school before you are sure the Navy will pay for it.

I am not saying that they won't, but if you don't follow the Navy's instructions you could be up a creek without a paddle.

OneBadSSS

I would be very careful about that. You don't want to commit to some school before you are sure the Navy will pay for it.

I am not saying that they won't, but if you don't follow the Navy's instructions you could be up a creek without a paddle.

I would agree with you accept, after reading the "FY07 Conditional Selectees/Alternates Information Package" posted on the STA website (which I assume will be the same for us) there is really no specifics on when and when not to turn stuff in. I just don't want to wait too long is all...man this sucks!!!

erelislt

I would agree with you accept, after reading the "FY07 Conditional Selectees/Alternates Information Package" posted on the STA website (which I assume will be the same for us) there is really no specifics on when and when not to turn stuff in. I just don't want to wait too long is all...man this sucks!!!

Try e-mailing STA-21 and ask them, they are quick answering questions. Let us know afterwords :)

vicariousrider

War Eagle!

I'm right there with you, man. I'm trying to get all my stuff busted out before it's too late...we'll see what happens in the weeks to come I'm sure. All this waiting around has me wound up, and the only thing to do is sit and wait...sit and wait.

I'm looking forward to having a 20-y/o ROTC student ordering me around. That should be fun ;)

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
I'm right there with you, man. I'm trying to get all my stuff busted out before it's too late...we'll see what happens in the weeks to come I'm sure. All this waiting around has me wound up, and the only thing to do is sit and wait...sit and wait.

I'm looking forward to having a 20-y/o ROTC student ordering me around. That should be fun ;)

How's that any different than a 22 year old ENS?

I understand where you guys are coming from, but all of you have dealt with this situation before, maybe just not on such a large scale.

OneBadSSS

I understand where you guys are coming from, but all of you have dealt with this situation before, maybe just not on such a large scale.

True, but atleast that 22 year old ENS is actually IN THE FLEET, however short the time may be, while these MIDN have probably never set foot on a boat unless they've already made a summer cruise...

I'll do what I'm told because that is what being a smart sailor is all about, but that doesn't mean I won't secretly remind myself every day that I HAVE been in the fleet and I have 6 years of valuable experience that those MIDN couldn't possibly hope for when they first hit the non-skid!

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
True, but atleast that 22 year old ENS is actually IN THE FLEET, however short the time may be, while these MIDN have probably never set foot on a boat unless they've already made a summer cruise...

I'll do what I'm told because that is what being a smart sailor is all about, but that doesn't mean I won't secretly remind myself every day that I HAVE been in the fleet and I have 6 years of valuable experience that those MIDN couldn't possibly hope for when they first hit the non-skid!

Most MIDN have more time on the boat then I do considering that I have zero days underway.

One thing that you soon to be OC's need to get in your head is that the MIDN are your peers now. And in particular, the upperclassmen are your superiors...get it in your head now. I know that seems strange because you all have some ammount of fleet experience, but that is all it is...experience, not rank.

I have learned far more from the MIDN, than I believe they have learned from me. I have spent the past 6 years learning how to be a good Enlisted guy, the senior MIDN have spent the past 3 1/2 years learning how to be good Officers. They know more than you think they do, even if it is only in theory.

vicariousrider

War Eagle!

Very true. I'm just trying to get used to it again, that's all. Once I reported to shore duty I was surrounded by LDOs, including a 30+ year CAPT (who proudly wore his Silver Dolphins) and a 20-year LTjg. Once I got away from it for a bit, I forgot what it was like. Better to think of it now than when we're finally in our ROTC Units!

OneBadSSS

Most MIDN have more time on the boat then I do considering that I have zero days underway.

One thing that you soon to be OC's need to get in your head is that the MIDN are your peers now. And in particular, the upperclassmen are your superiors...get it in your head now. I know that seems strange because you all have some ammount of fleet experience, but that is all it is...experience, not rank.

I have learned far more from the MIDN, than I believe they have learned from me. I have spent the past 6 years learning how to be a good Enlisted guy, the senior MIDN have spent the past 3 1/2 years learning how to be good Officers. They know more than you think they do, even if it is only in theory.

How could you have served 6 years already, been on a boat and never been underway? I've been in the same amount of time as you, been on my boat almost 5 years and in that time I've made two 6-month deployments and three 2.5 month training op deployments! Not to mention the numerous week and two-week underways scattered in between!

And I wasn't saying that I don't have a lot of knowledge to gain from the MIDN because I'm sure that I will learn plenty. But in my opinion, you can't learn everything about being a good leader in a classroom. You learn it by doing the job every day and from your experiences. That's just my personal opinion...

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
How could you have served 6 years already, been on a boat and never been underway? I've been in the same amount of time as you, been on my boat almost 5 years and in that time I've made two 6-month deployments and three 2.5 month training op deployments! Not to mention the numerous week and two-week underways scattered in between!

And I wasn't saying that I don't have a lot of knowledge to gain from the MIDN because I'm sure that I will learn plenty. But in my opinion, you can't learn everything about being a good leader in a classroom. You learn it by doing the job every day and from your experiences. That's just my personal opinion...

Land based EA-6B squadron/Prowler RAG...good gig, just ask Brett327 and Flash. :D
MIDN get plenty of leadership training outside of the classroom, that what ROTC is all about; leadership and PT. You will see when you get there, just be prepared to be humbled when you get there...every OC has to deal with the same culture shock. We are all used to being rockstars back in the fleet and you would be suprised at how little that means once you are in ROTC. You will be respected for your experience, but you most likely will not be making the decisions until you are in your Junior/Senior year. Not trying to be negative, just telling you how it is.