• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Further education

pensfan341

I just had a quick question about getting further education (whether it be an MBA, or the petroleum degree out at Kansas, or something else out at Montery).

What is the additional commitment? I am on an original 4 year commitment, let's say I do my first or second tour of duty, is there a required contractual time that is set if I choose to get further education on the Navy's dime?

Thanks

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
2 years from the last time you use TA ($750/class max)
3 years from completion of NPS/NWC
Multiple other programs (olmstead/Grad Voucher/etc) have differing requirements, but generally 2-3 years additional from completion

Bunch of my peers went the NROTC instructor route, which usually allowed for "free" degree from the school to "professors" at that school, but just like the above programs, depends on the school/program.

Good luck. If you're looking for a fun, not difficult degree with some practical aviation learning, look at ERAU. Amazing flexibility, $450 or so per class after TA.

~d

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
The commitments run concurrently with any other commitment you've signed up for - with the advent of 8 years after wings, you can pretty much get the Navy to pay for a free masters through TA, GEV, NPS, etc. with no additional commitment.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
The commitments run concurrently with any other commitment you've signed up for - with the advent of 8 years after wings, you can pretty much get the Navy to pay for a free masters through TA, GEV, NPS, etc. with no additional commitment.

So get it done early if your plans are to leave immediately after your winging commitment. Otherwise, you'll be taking a set of orders you may not want in order to fulfil the service obligation. This is especially true now with the severely reduced bonus that makes the decision easier to walk away.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
Everyone is pretty much taking orders they don't want to anyway, again cause of the 8 year commitments.

MasterBates

Yep, no more extend to avoid dissasoch and GTFO.

I always though the term "accept" PCS orders when they say accepting them makes you owe two more years was a crock.

Changing 7 to 8 really gets them closer to 9 post wings depending on timing.

Sent from my PH44100 using Tapatalk

KBayDog

You owe two years post-PCS because that's the average time it takes to settle a damage claim via DPS. :mad: