• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NEWS Fuck You United Airlines

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
For the professional transport AWers, how much does 1,000 lb affect a 737's performance?

I can say that our glorious NATOPS is only verified to get you within ~5% of the right answer, which is about 1,000 lb for a Seahawk.
Probably less deleterious than beating an innocent Asian doctor...

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
For the professional transport AWers, how much does 1,000 lb affect a 737's performance?

I can say that our glorious NATOPS is only verified to get you within ~5% of the right answer, which is about 1,000 lb for a Seahawk.

In short, it doesn’t unless you’re near MGTOW. The P-8 can weigh over 189,000 lbs so 1,000 isn’t much. Additionally, the CG allowance is pretty large so chances are it won’t throw things out of limits. That being said, from a professional aviator point of view, that’s unacceptable.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
One of the first and most common claims made by plaitiff's attorneys sueing for damages arising from airline mishaps is the aircraft was operated out of weight and balance.

It is a safe accusation to make long before the NTSB finishes their investigation. That is because passenger weight and carry on bag weight is estimated based on approved averages. Used to be even checked bags were based on an average weight. I don't know if that is still true. Bottom line. We never really know exactly what the aircraft weights, but it is FAA approved and never seems to be an operational issue.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
I should clarify my last statement, there is estimating that goes into anything brought onboard, but you want to estimate higher than lower.