• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Frumby, I need some help...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raptor2216

Well, I just passed my initial PFT today with a 21min run time, 75 crunches, 8 pull-ups. So, my application will be forwarded to where ever it get's forwered and the OSO tells me that I have a very good chance at it, especially when considering the fact that I am the only 2nd year student applying in this area.

Anyway, I got a few questions for ya. First, how do I calculate my PFT score? Second, when you went through OCS, what did you do to make sure that your leg's stay healthy. in other words, how do you prevent injury(i.e. pulled/sprained/strained muscles). Also, I can use some hints on breaking in my boots. I ran in them once but my knee's were hurting afterwards. When it comes down to it, I can ignore the pain and keep gong but I doubt that that's a good idea. Anyway, I could use some help here. I got about
6-months before I head off to PLC. Thanks in advance.

aviatorshade

Catfish
pilot
A Marine Corps PFT is calculated as such:
Three events with a 100 point maximum in each. The three mile run max is 18 minutes flat. You lose one point for every 10 sec slower than 18 minutes. Pullup max score is twenty dead hangs. Each pull up is worth 5 points. You need 100 situps in two minutes to max. Each situp is obviously one point. So if you ran a 21 flat (82 points), 8 pullups (40 points), and 75 situps (75 points), then your PFT score would be 197. You need at least a first class PFT as a Marine officer which I believe is 225, and in my opinion you will want to be at least doing a 260 PFT before going to OCS. Most people struggle with either the pull ups or the run. The pull ups can really help your PFT score though (fifty seconds run time= 1 pull up). The PT at OCS is intense, so shoot for the maximums and you should do fine.

Semper Fidelis

Cpl. Miles

Raptor2216

Thanks for the help there guys. Pap, no one has ever told about those tricks to keep the blisters away. That was the one thing I have been worried about for a while now, so I haven't really ran in my boots. Those boots don't have much much shock absorption either, so I think i'll invest in some good soles before I begin running in them. I am wearing my warm weathe boots all the time though, but I doubt that we'll be running in those during summer, right? As far as the knee thing is concerned, I have heard the same advice from just about everyone. Unfortunately, i'm also learning a lesson the hard way. I went hiking a while back and on the way back I ran down some of the way and ended up with shin splints. But I think it's good and well now.

Shade, thanks for PFT formula. The
pull-ups are my only problem now. When I began, I could barely do 2 and now after some hard work I can do 8 easily. Only problem is that I seem to have gotten stuck at 8. Do you have a remedy for that? Here is what I do for pull-ups now: I do 7 then rest, then 6 and rest, 6 more and rest, 5 and rest and finally 4 more and stop. Then I move over to this machine that has weight assist and I do 4 sets of 15-20 at 120lbs. My weight is 174lbs. Thanks again.

Grunt

Be sure to vary your grip on your workouts. Wide, narrow, palms in/out/facing each other. That way you will challenge the muscles and keep them from getting accustomed to the exercise. I'd also recommend that you do lots of pushups. They will help you in PLC and TBS and they also work your lats which play a big role in pullups as well.

Mike the Grunt

Edited by - Grunt on 02/11/2002 09:42:25

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Raptor,
It sounds like you have already gotten some sound advice. The Marine Corps PFT calculator can be found on the Marine web site, for future reference. As for the boots, the only things I would also consider is to shape the boots to your feet. First, buy a pair of Dr Scholls inserts and wearing one pair of socks make sure your boots fit comfortably. While your boots are on your feet, immerse them completely in water. This is the hard part because you now need to spend the next 5-8 hours wearing your boots until they dry. This will form your boots to your feet creating a "mold" so to speak. Now apply a lot of Saddle Soap or any other leather conditioner to make the boots much more plyable. Apply it both outside as well as inside. When I PT in my boots, I never cinched the laces across the bridge of my foot. It created hot spots. It sounds like a lot of work and it is but you will definitly appreciate the time spent the first time you're on the endurance course. I ran the Marine Corps Marathon in "boots and utes" (a feat which I do not recommend to anyone). My legs hurt, my back hurt but my feet were great. Semper Fi! Frumby

Attack Pilot
Major USMC

Grunt

As an Infantryman I fully agree with the Major's advice on breaking in the boots. I have done the same with many pairs myself. After a few years, though, your feet get hard enough that all you do to break in new ones is shine 'em and wear 'em to work. After nearly two years as a civilian I am just now able to feel stuff with my feet again, hehe.

Mike the Grunt

Status
Not open for further replies.