• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Forty years without a real job, over.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Fairest of winds going forward! The end of your career deserves more fanfare than the current times can afford, but you're dodging interesting times this way, for sure.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Congratulations! Can’t wait to be an NFO; don’t have everything all mapped out at this point, but I hope it all works out. Enjoy retirement!
You will be fine kid. Just work hard. Chose who you take advise from carefully and it will all work out. Good luck.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Cool beans, @wink!

What are you going to do now?
I hope this means more time hand-propping that tail-dragged of yours and flying with the helicopter association you help out. Do you plan on doing any LE flying?
Just before I got the leave I was offered the full time job teaching HS juniors and seniors in the two year aviation program I had taught part time a year or so ago. Mrs. Wink, however, has totally embraced the whole remote work thing. With that in mind she plans on a more flexible schedule to accommodate travel. She nixed the opportunity. While I would have enjoyed teaching that program again, you gotta love the bigger message she sent. Mrs Wink doesn't want, and will not agree to, me working full time in my early retirement ?. Totally bitch'in!! I can do whatever I want, as long as it is flexible enough to accommodate her long weekends to see grandkids, escape the summer heat in the mountains, or hike Switzerland.

We got a new Sheriff and with it changes. My flying gig with the Sheriff's Office became more hassle than it was worth. Or so I thought at the time. I resigned a few years ago. I would love to get back in to it. Will have to explore options.

I will stay busy with the local chapter of the Army Aviation Heritage Foundation. Although delayed by the 'Rona, we have an airworthy UH-1H undergoing depot level type maintenance. Hope to have it flying by fall. I'll train as a crew chief on that. Also have two other Vietnam vet helos under restoration I'll spend time on. My big move, now that I have my medical back, is to see if I can get checked out in the Foundation's O-1 Bird Dog in ATL. They take it to airshows all over the southeast with the Hueys and Cobras. They have plenty of rotor heads, but are short of guys wanting to fly the little welded wing Cessna.

I'll continue to substitute teach for beer money and finally give my Luscombe the attention it deserves.

Thanks everyone for the kind thoughts.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'll continue to substitute teach for beer money and finally give my Luscombe the attention it deserves.

Thanks everyone for the kind thoughts.
I'm amused by the thought of school kids hearing teacher is out, and thinking they have a sub that they can maybe push around, only to end up with a crusty old aviator who has literally no fucks left to give. :D

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm amused by the thought of school kids hearing teacher is out, and thinking they have a sub that they can maybe push around, only to end up with a crusty old aviator who has literally no fucks left to give. :D
That is exactly what has happened on occasion. I have a little speach I give when appropriate. Something like, "I am not a trained teacher, no degree in education, not an educator. But I come from environments, military and professional aviation, where training is at the heart of what they do. I have been under training my entire life. I have often trained sailors and aviators. I know how to train people. I am not seeing an effective training environment right now. I am not an amateur educator or part time teacher, so do not expect from me what you have experienced in the past. " That with what my family calls my natural resting expression, "Angry Bird Face".

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Congrats Wink!! A great read on a worthy career. I only hope to be as fortunate. Well done.

VMO4

see if I can get checked out in the Foundation's O-1 Bird Dog in ATL.

It is a well proven fact that for each hour spent aviating in a aircraft with the third wheel in the location God intended, he adds a week to your life. Live well.!!!!!

hlg6016

A/C Wings Here
That is exactly what has happened on occasion. I have a little speach I give when appropriate. Something like, "I am not a trained teacher, no degree in education, not an educator. But I come from environments, military and professional aviation, where training is at the heart of what they do. I have been under training my entire life. I have often trained sailors and aviators. I know how to train people. I am not seeing an effective training environment right now. I am not an amateur educator or part time teacher, so do not expect from me what you have experienced in the past. " That with what my family calls my natural resting expression, "Angry Bird Face".
That's exactly what some of these younguns need to hear "Get yer nose in that book and gain some knowledge so you can be worth a shit someday kiddo" Quote from Officer Hank the last time I was asked to sit in on a class.