• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NEWS Former Hornet Driver Flies Cross country In Cessna 172 for Fox News

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
... save my ass from total devastation.
DQvWV.gif

By the way, it's OK to talk about that in today's military- if you want to.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
It's not a matter of hating her, but knowing her background and experience level speaks to her credibility when speaking as a SME on military issues. If given a choice, I would rather listen to a patch wearer who has been there and done that, than someone who couldn't hack it and washed out in their first tour. That doesn't make the latter a bad person, just less credible than the former.
Agree. Just watched her do an interview in New York about the Statue of Liberty...inevitably the head in the box on the left of the screen mentioned the fact she flew Hornets off of carriers and asked her opinion on how the shut down was affecting the military. I couldn't readily deduce how any of her experience contributed to her answer.

But she looked really good saying it.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
All this talk of her hotness - maybe compared to Greta Van Susteren. Gabriel is a Fox News 5 or 6 at best, and that's being generous. I don't begrudge her for leveraging her experience (whatever that may be) into a role as a Fox News junior correspondent. I just know that if I had washed out of aviation like that, I'd feel like a bit of an impostor posing in my leather flight jacket for a headshot.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It's not a matter of hating her, but knowing her background and experience level speaks to her credibility when speaking as a SME on military issues. If given a choice, I would rather listen to a patch wearer who has been there and done that, than someone who couldn't hack it and washed out in their first tour. That doesn't make the latter a bad person, just less credible than the former.
And what does being a former JO Top Gun grad do for your credibility when reporting on DOD policy? You earn your credibility in the news business. There are plenty of reporters with no military experience on the military beat. Some do great work. I'd say, whether you went pilot to Intel or were a CAG Paddles patch wearer, all that experience would do for you in the news business is give you insight. Neither is likely to report that a crew of four pilots ejected from a Hummer. For both, get your reporting and analysis wrong you will have no credibility regardless.

Jim123

pilot
Ironically, intel experience would give you a lot more "big picture" insight than a JO tour in a fleet squadron. But... jets!

RadicalDude

Social Justice Warlord
Gotta agree with wink in this one. I don’t give a shit of you washed out of API—I care about the quality of reporting. Sure, they may not have “been there done that” but on the other hand too much military experience has a tendency to blind folks to realities that they don’t agree with or haven’t been personally involved with (Ollie North, for example.) The skill set required to have a perfect boarding rate doesn’t match the skill set needed to report the news.

Side note: this thread is a perfect example of the implicit barriers to women seeking employment in and thriving in naval aviation. Who wouldn’t want to join an organization where men argued about whether your Facebook photos were “putting lipstick on a pig” or whether you were a “5, 6, or a 10.”

If you do it here on a public forum that anyone can read, I’ll bet you do it in real life, and maybe not out loud in the wardroom, but at the very least over beers with your buds. Women aren’t stupid, they know that.

So next time folks in this thread bitch about trumped up claims of sexism in the military—look no further than the mirror, gents.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
I think you may be reading between the lines here a little too much. No one has said she isn't credible because she's a woman. I think most people here have a genuinely valid point regarding the irony of a less than average performer being lauded as an expert.

The fact that I personally think she's really good looking has nothing to do with her military experience and is more tongue in cheek than anything else. You know, to maybe get some laughs around here instead of waxing poetic about social injustices and stuff.

While you defend her experience, please note the dichotomy of your argument with respect to how you view my personal experience and how important that was to you in other threads.

I often wonder how long it takes you to find the fun in something and then contrive a method of evaporating it.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
There are plenty of reporters with no military experience on the military beat
Exactly, and how often are we lamenting the complete and utter lack of basic understanding when these people report on military issues. Right?

I'll take someone who has demonstrated mastery and expertise in their profession over someone who hasn't. Does that guarantee success? Of course not, but it's a pretty good predictor of it.

Ironically, intel experience would give you a lot more "big picture" insight than a JO tour in a fleet squadron.
Strongly disagree. Being a squadron level powerpoint ranger does not grant you total SA on national security or geopolitical issues, and since their community now focuses on a STEM education background, they aren't even likely to have studied history, IR or the other relevant social sciences in college. If we're talking about a CAG AI, CSG N2 or comparable experience level, then I'll grant you a certain degree of "big picture" expertise in those disciplines. A first tour community redesignation, not so much.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Gotta agree with wink in this one. I don’t give a shit of you washed out of API—I care about the quality of reporting. Sure, they may not have “been there done that” but on the other hand too much military experience has a tendency to blind folks to realities that they don’t agree with or haven’t been personally involved with (Ollie North, for example.) The skill set required to have a perfect boarding rate doesn’t match the skill set needed to report the news.

Side note: this thread is a perfect example of the implicit barriers to women seeking employment in and thriving in naval aviation. Who wouldn’t want to join an organization where men argued about whether your Facebook photos were “putting lipstick on a pig” or whether you were a “5, 6, or a 10.”

If you do it here on a public forum that anyone can read, I’ll bet you do it in real life, and maybe not out loud in the wardroom, but at the very least over beers with your buds. Women aren’t stupid, they know that.

So next time folks in this thread bitch about trumped up claims of sexism in the military—look no further than the mirror, gents.
Don’t know how my admiring her looks is an implicit barrier, or sexist. And if you don’t think women are doing the exact same thing to the men you’re a fucking idiot.

Get off your soapbox, if we aren’t allowed to look at the other sex (or the same, if that’s your flavor) then what is the point of it all? I’m neither in her Chain of Command, nor responsible for her hiring/firing. I’m a man, with a (mostly) working pair of testicles providing a biological drive to be attracted to the female form. Some of those I find more attractive than others. I can have an adult discussion regarding said judgement while I’m sitting at home on my phone. Or the bar. Or on liberty. That’s freedom.

What I do in my free time has no bearing on my conduct while leading. I’m sure you’ve heard of compartmentalization by now...

For that matter, the looks, gender, sexual orientation or race of my Sailors has jack and shit to do with my evals of them. They are ranked purely on their ability to do their job and get qualifications. If you doubt that, I’d highly encourage you to contact the EO on the Truman and report me, as you have an obligation as an Officer to do so.

Otherwise, shut the fuck up.

Pickle

Python

pilot
Contributor
Don’t know how my admiring her looks is an implicit barrier, or sexist. And if you don’t think women are doing the exact same thing to the men you’re a fucking idiot.

Get off your soapbox, if we aren’t allowed to look at the other sex (or the same, if that’s your flavor) then what is the point of it all? I’m neither in her Chain of Command, nor responsible for her hiring/firing. I’m a man, with a (mostly) working pair of testicles providing a biological drive to be attracted to the female form. Some of those I find more attractive than others. I can have an adult discussion regarding said judgement while I’m sitting at home on my phone. Or the bar. Or on liberty. That’s freedom.

What I do in my free time has no bearing on my conduct while leading. I’m sure you’ve heard of compartmentalization by now...

For that matter, the looks, gender, sexual orientation or race of my Sailors has jack and shit to do with my evals of them. They are ranked purely on their ability to do their job and get qualifications. If you doubt that, I’d highly encourage you to contact the EO on the Truman and report me, as you have an obligation as an Officer to do so.

Otherwise, shut the fuck up.

Pickle

Perfect.

Jim123

pilot
Strongly disagree. Being a squadron level powerpoint ranger does not grant you total SA on national security or geopolitical issues... A first tour community redesignation, not so much.
Not total SA, certainly not as a squadron intel O, but still more SA than the average nugget squadron pilot. Remember, she did more than one tour as an intel O, and it's all of that that should give her chops as a serious reporter (rather than experience as a first-tour as a naval aviator).

The flight jacket just makes a better visual, that's all. (Well, that and there aren't really any good visuals for intel work.)

Good point on STEM education (vs liberal arts or a person's own intellectual curiosity for the humanities) as a foundation for intel work. Good for things like adversary capes and limits or operational analysis; not so good for national security and geopol work. We gotta have a balance of both in the officer corps- intel and other designators.

(As for talking about the good looks of people who work for Fox News, well... duh... it's not NPR.)

RadicalDude

Social Justice Warlord
This is patently false, Pickle, and a perfect example of why you “don’t get it.”

The rest of your argument is typical “stupid proud masculine knuckle dragger” drivel that doesn’t warrant a response.

Why do I have a strong feeling many of you eschew/have a dearth of equitable relationships with strong and successful women in your professional lives... hmmmm.

Last edited:

RadicalDude

Social Justice Warlord
I think you may be reading between the lines here a little too much. No one has said she isn't credible because she's a woman. I think most people here have a genuinely valid point regarding the irony of a less than average performer being lauded as an expert.

The fact that I personally think she's really good looking has nothing to do with her military experience and is more tongue in cheek than anything else. You know, to maybe get some laughs around here instead of waxing poetic about social injustices and stuff.

While you defend her experience, please note the dichotomy of your argument with respect to how you view my personal experience and how important that was to you in other threads.

I often wonder how long it takes you to find the fun in something and then contrive a method of evaporating it.
You’re confusing issues. My critique was two-pronged.

First issue:
Your lack of experience is perfectly ripe for criticism in the context of when to take a jet.

Her military experience doesn’t prevent her from presenting news. It certainly gives her a leg-up on reporting military issues from the average reporter.

Second issue:
Spending two pages of the forum bantering about her looks is a perfect examaple of the casual institutional sexism women face in the military every day.

She’s a former aviator, former sister-in-arms, period. She volunteered, she made it through training. She served honorably. She never did anything to anyone here—I would think that alone would earn her the dignity of not having her looks debated by a bunch of officers on the internet.

You being ugly might be a given, but no one on here is commenting on it in regards to your ability to do your job.