• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Football season cometh.

Which conference will have the National Champion?

• Total voters

Treetop Flyer

pilot
See! I already beat that “fake news” by comparing winners to losers in the NFL…the Big 10 seems to rule the roost when it comes to that. I already noted the pain OU will feel in the coaching search for the next year or two. I wonder who they’ll get?
You mean when you were talking about QB’s? Three starting QB’s are from Big10 schools. Six SEC, not counting Hurts.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
ESPN says OU is courting Kliff Kingsbury from the Arizona Cardinals as new head coach.

Notanaviator

Contributor
I stick to my point. OU and Texas will upset the balance of power in the SEC. Not every year, not every game, but things will change.

I’ll look to stay out of the bulk of this stunningly circular waste of y’all’s time at this point, but you’re not wrong here, I don’t think. OU and Texas will benefit from being included in the premier conference in all of college football (whoops, slipped) BUT I also think we haven’t scratched the surface of how NIL dynamics will play into how programs benefit or slip. This favors larger markets and programs with bigger boosters - not oil and gas boosters, but consumer goods boosters, etc.

Take for example Lincoln Riley- you don’t think he considered how recruiting to an L.A. team would be easier in the new era than recruiting to a LA team? LSU didn’t stand a chance in hindsight.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
I’ll look to stay out of the bulk of this stunningly circular waste of y’all’s time at this point, but you’re not wrong here, I don’t think. OU and Texas will benefit from being included in the premier conference in all of college football (whoops, slipped) BUT I also think we haven’t scratched the surface of how NIL dynamics will play into how programs benefit or slip. This favors larger markets and programs with bigger boosters - not oil and gas boosters, but consumer goods boosters, etc.

Take for example Lincoln Riley- you don’t think he considered how recruiting to an L.A. team would be easier in the new era than recruiting to a LA team? LSU didn’t stand a chance in hindsight.
The NIL dynamic will be interesting. If anything I think it will benefit boosters willing to spend. If the location matters, why is Alabama such a power? Ohio State? Clemson? Top recruits aren’t choosing based on location. They want playing time, exposure, development and championships. There may be some outliers where well heeled boosters buy recruits, but otherwise expect the rich to get richer.

Notanaviator

Contributor
The NIL dynamic will be interesting. If anything I think it will benefit boosters willing to spend. If the location matters, why is Alabama such a power? Ohio State? Clemson? Top recruits aren’t choosing based on location. They want playing time, exposure, development and championships. There may be some outliers where well heeled boosters buy recruits, but otherwise expect the rich to get richer.

Buddy of mine went to a booster lunch for TCU- said the coach was pretty direct about it, along the lines of “I’ve always kept my nose real clean when it came to money and college football, but SMU is already cleaning our clocks on this, major donors are writing big checks to athletes, and it’s making a difference. If you own a car dealership, I want you picking up the phone to my players.”

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
I agree that the NIL will change everything. I am not a fan of the idea, but there it is (I think it will have a negative impact on the sport). I also imagine that there will continue to be conference churn leaving us, in 10 years or so, with a conference system that looks nothing like we have today.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
Buddy of mine went to a booster lunch for TCU- said the coach was pretty direct about it, along the lines of “I’ve always kept my nose real clean when it came to money and college football, but SMU is already cleaning our clocks on this, major donors are writing big checks to athletes, and it’s making a difference. If you own a car dealership, I want you picking up the phone to my players.”
Yep, and I expect that with few exceptions the current powers will be attracting the top recruits like they always have. A quick look at the recruiting rankings for the upcoming class shows no significant change. I don’t like the NIL issue combined with the recent transfer rules. Everyone is a free agent, which will further disadvantage the smaller schools. Have a big year at a lesser school, transfer to a big one and get paid.

GroundPounder

I agree that the NIL will change everything. I am not a fan of the idea, but there it is (I think it will have a negative impact on the sport). I also imagine that there will continue to be conference churn leaving us, in 10 years or so, with a conference system that looks nothing like we have today.

I think that the NIL will come home to roost when players start getting in trouble with the IRS. In addition, when they are defacto paid employees of the schools, they will get spit out when they get injured or a better guy transfers in.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
I think that the NIL will come home to roost when players start getting in trouble with the IRS. In addition, when they are defacto paid employees of the schools, they will get spit out when they get injured or a better guy transfers in.
They already get cut loose to bring in better players, so I don’t see NIL changing that from the schools perspective. Agreed on the IRS issue but I imagine big programs will have extensive compliance departments to oversee and funnel NIL deals

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
Thought this was a good example by Coach Harbaugh of Michigan.

Jim Harbaugh to give all bonus money to Michigan Wolverines athletic department staffers who had pay cut due to COVID-19

Meanwhile in unexpected coaching changes, Brian Kelly leaves Notre Dame for LasU and a $100 Million contract.

Brian Kelly to LSU: What's next for Tigers and Fighting Irish

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
Thought this was a good example by Coach Harbaugh of Michigan.

Jim Harbaugh to give all bonus money to Michigan Wolverines athletic department staffers who had pay cut due to COVID-19

Meanwhile in unexpected coaching changes, Brian Kelly leaves Notre Dame for LasU and a $100 Million contract.

Brian Kelly to LSU: What's next for Tigers and Fighting Irish

Wild stuff and there is more to come. I wonder who OU will hire?

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
Forgot to add that Alex Grinch (defensive coordinator) and a whole bunch of OU top prospects are following Riley to California. OU is in for a few tough years depending on who they hire.