• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Flying for Navy, Marines or Air Force?

Clux4

Banned
Future Herc Driver said:
Virtu- What do you mean AF pilots dont have colateral duties? Dont spread rumors you dont know anything about.

You seem to know about this, so why don't you enlighten the forum with some of the gouge you might have regarden this.

USNA_K

evolross said:
Something else I remembered... I was talking to an F/A-18 Hornet pilot at a recent Air Show (Dayton, OH) and he said something like....

I was at the Dayton Airshow as well. I was a young kid in Civil Air Patrol that was "guarding" the planes. I was in all camo (BDU).

xof

AF pilots may have collateral duties, but they are very limited compared to USN pilot/nfo collateral duties. I don't recall the exact structure, but the AF wings have many more(non-flying) staff and support officers within the organization. At best, a navy squadron might have a warrant officer or general aviation (1300, I think...shudder...) officer to assist with that stuff. Aside from them, the same officers who aviate are wholly responsible for maintenance, admin, personnel, NATOPS... et cetera.

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
Future Herc Driver said:
Virtu- What do you mean AF pilots dont have colateral duties? Dont spread rumors you dont know anything about.
i'd be interested to hear some of the collateral duties an AF pilot might have.
here are a few collateral duties that we have here in my squadron for pilots; there area few more according to the CGI checklist ... a lot of them we just pay lip service too though because there isn't enough time in the day

Aircraft Maintenance Officer
S-1 (Admin) Officer
S-2 (Intel) Officer
S-3 (Ops) Officer
S-4 (Supply/Logisitcs) Officer
S-5 (Safety) Officer
S-6 (Computer/Network) Officer
Unit Information Officer
Awards Officer
Fitness Report Officer
Claims Officer
Directives Control Point Officer
Postal Officer
Personal Sponsorship Program
Registered Mail Officer
Records Management Officer
Savings Bond Officer
Identification Card Responsible Officer
Thrift Savings Plan Officer
Family Advocacy Program Officer
Meal Card Officer
Relocation Assistance Program Coordinator
Victim and Witness Program Coordinator
Training Exercise Employment Plan Officer
Education Officer
Antiterrorism Force Protection Officer
Assistant Security Manager
North Atlantic Treaty Organization Control Officer
Automated Data Processing Security Officer
Flightline Restricted Area Access Control Officer
Classified Material Reproduction Officer
Intelligence Oversight Officer
Assistant Ops Officer
Future Operations Officer
Squadron Assistance Risk Assessment Officer
Historical Officer
Naval Warfare Publication Liberty Officer
Senior Watch Officer
Ground Training Officer
Navigation Officer
Education Officer
Squadron Assistance Risk Assessment Program Officer
Nuclear, Biological, Chemical Defense Officer
Marksmanship Training Manager
Marine Corps Institute (MCI) Program Manager
Weight Control Program Manager
Cruise Book Officer
Assistant NWPL Officer
Environmental Health/ Building & Grounds
Industrial Hygiene
Personal Effects Officer
ADPE-FMF Hardware Coordinator
Fiscal and Accounting Officer
Telephone Officer
Garrison Property Account Responsible Officer
Building and Grounds Officer
Morale, Welfare, and Recreation Fund Officer
Destructive Weather Program Officer
Building Energy Manager
Voting Officer
"Drive Safe" Officer
Aviation Safety Officer
Mishap Investigations Officer
Natops Officer
Legal Officer
Ground Safety Officer
Substance Abuse Officer
Quality Assurance Division Officer
Airframe Division Officer
Analysis Officer
Gas Free Engineering Officer
Support Equipment Misuse/Abuse Officer
Technical Publication Library Officer
Equal Opportunity Officer
Hazardous Material Control Officer
Classified Material Controlling Custodian Officer
Family Readiness Officer
Personal Affairs Officer
Powerline Division Officer
Foreign Objective Damage Officer
Public Affairs Officer

s/f

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The collateral duties the Air Farce likes to throw out in these converstaions are what we call SLJs (sh!ty little jobs) in the USN/USMC. They would be about half of those listed above by jarhead. The key is that one or two SLJs comprise an AF officers collateral duties, in the Nav and USMC we have major responsiblities in Ops, Maint, Intel, Admin, etc, plus 3-8 SLJs. Just look at that list. It is similar to any Navy squadron. With only 25-30 guys in the squadron you can see there are a lot of multiple assignments to be had. Instead of trying to defend their cushy collateral duty position the AF guys just ought to brag about how they got the better deal (but we know better).

Clux4

Banned
May i ask what the better deal is?
Will it be more flight hours and bases in the middle of no-where

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
AF better deal? No real job out side of flying to begin with. Generally, better MWR facilities. Almost always, better expeditionary guality of life. If it matters to you, more likely to get fixed wing flying assignment. Slacker military bearing, considered a good deal by some, not me.

What makes NAVAIR a better deal in the long run? I have made considerable posts on that subject. No point in starting a flame war.

Future Herc Driver

About to start Tac phase in the Herc.
Slacker military bearing huh? I think that goes on an individual basis there, crusty. Seen plenty of Navy dudes that wear a uniform that looks like sh*t. Seen a guy the other day in choker whites that had stains all over it. Asked him about it and he said he got drunk and threw it on the floor in the bathroom (the head for you squid types.) The stains were from where he pissed on it. Said he just didnt feel like paying for a new jacket because they were expensive. This is a dude from your illustrious academy to boot. But hey, Im sure he can stand at attention better than me. Thats obviously more important. Flame on flamers.

As a side note, Ive NEVER seen a Marine with a ****ty uniform and all have had tremendous pride in themselves, their service, and their job. Why cant they teach some of the Navy guys this?

virtu050

P-8 Bubba
pilot
interesting since most naval officers are marine corps trained. Actually, for a few months after OCS I tied my shoes outboard over inboard, IP'd everything (even my flight suit) and placed my pillows single edge to port. I think Marines keep their habits because TBS is just longer.. but yeah.. aside from the surface warfare side, we navy types tend to be more laid back than the corps.. generally.

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
Future Herc Driver said:
Slacker military bearing huh? I think that goes on an individual basis there, crusty. Seen plenty of Navy dudes that wear a uniform that looks like sh*t. Seen a guy the other day in choker whites that had stains all over it. Asked him about it and he said he got drunk and threw it on the floor in the bathroom (the head for you squid types.) The stains were from where he pissed on it. Said he just didnt feel like paying for a new jacket because they were expensive. This is a dude from your illustrious academy to boot. But hey, Im sure he can stand at attention better than me. Thats obviously more important. Flame on flamers.

As a side note, Ive NEVER seen a Marine with a ****ty uniform and all have had tremendous pride in themselves, their service, and their job. Why cant they teach some of the Navy guys this?

Uniform is one thing, (yes marines like to be pretty), what he is talking about is an E-2 coming up to an O-3 and calling him Bob and and O-3 replying all is good Joe.

As far as Virtu... Not every Naval officer is trained by the marine corps. I am not 100% sure about the USNA, but I know in NROTC, there were 8 Naval officers and 1 Marine officer. The marine was not involved (directly) with traing the navy side of the house. If you are talking about OCS only, those represent a smaller number of officers.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
bch said:
As far as Virtu... Not every Naval officer is trained by the marine corps. I am not 100% sure about the USNA, but I know in NROTC, there were 8 Naval officers and 1 Marine officer. The marine was not involved (directly) with traing the navy side of the house. If you are talking about OCS only, those represent a smaller number of officers.

To complement what BCH is saying, the NROTC Marine involvement depends on unit to unit. My unit was heavy in the Marine influence. Our MOI and AMOI liked to the run the show a lot. I had no issues with it, we had a great unit, and we got love from both sides of the house.

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
Fly Navy said:
To complement what BCH is saying, the NROTC Marine involvement depends on unit to unit. My unit was heavy in the Marine influence. Our MOI and AMOI liked to the run the show a lot. I had no issues with it, we had a great unit, and we got love from both sides of the house.

Yeah, I think the Marine involvement differs from unit to unit. It probably all depends on how much the MOI wants to be involved in running the battalion etc. I think it also depends tremendously on the Gunny. I've had two different gunnies now, some can be more in the background to straighten you out, others like to be up close and personal and really get to know everyone in the unit, MO and Navy alike.

To get back to the original question of the thread, Navy vs. AF....

I recall a great quote in "The Right Stuff":

"The Navy calls them 'Aviators', they say they're better than pilots"