• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FlyHawaii?

Status
Not open for further replies.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
It looks like a new player is trying to enter the market with Hawaiian and Aloha. What do you aviation bubbas think?

art1b.jpg

http://starbulletin.com/2005/03/15/business/story1.html

http://starbulletin.com/2005/03/17/business/story1.html

http://starbulletin.com/2005/03/28/business/story2.html

The startup airline announced plans this month to launch service in early 2006, and aims to keep costs down with a fleet of ATR-72 turboprop aircraft, which can carry 68 passengers each. The company is marketing itself as a commuter airline offering fewer restrictions and one-way fares for as low as $50.

Hawaii Superferry plans to operate two giant catamarans carrying 900 passengers and 250 vehicles each between Oahu, Maui, Kauai and the Big Island. Passengers will be able to travel with their vehicles and more of their belongings for about half what the airlines charge. The first ferry is scheduled to begin operating in early 2007. Hawaiian and Aloha, both in Chapter 11 bankruptcy, basically dismiss their new competitors, and note that others have tried to enter the interisland travel market in the past with little success.

KBayDog

I can't believe how much inter-island airfares are these days. When I left in '01, it was (at most) $40 each way.

Me (layperson) thinks competition is good. However, I am interested to hear what the professionals think. Could these be the last days of A4s daily outrigger canoe shuttle service between Honolulu and Kalaupapa?

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I hate the ATR-72. Every time I've ever flown on one, it's been noiser than heck and shutters and rattles like crazy. Never seemed like a well designed aircraft.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Many have tried and none have made it. You can't get more economical interisland than the B-717. Hawaiian looked at ATRs,RJs, etc before choosing to go with the 717. Since it's came online, we are actually making a profit interisland for the first time in years.

FlyHi will drive down ticket prices and cost Hawaiian and Aloha a ton of money. In the end, Hawaiian and Aloha will beat them through staying power and the money coming in from our mainland/international flying to offset any interisland losses. FlyHi won't have this to fall back on.

FlyHi is also planning on a shotgun approach. Continuous flights with a claim of being able to go within 20 minutes of arriving at the terminal whether you've prepurchased a ticket or not. They will fly many empty planes this way. It's been proven over and over again in the past.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Ditto what HAL said .... FlyHi sports the typical, carpetbagger management team looking for a quick buck. By the way, they wear polyester suits --- much too hot in the Territory for that ....

However, they may cut into my canoe business as KBay pointed out .... Aue' .... mo' time fo' fishin' an' poi.

canoe_t.jpg
052.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.