• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Flight School w/o Surgery?

Status
Not open for further replies.

schandra

I'm a civilian college student applying to the Navy. I spoke to a recruiter today who said it was possible to get PRK at your first fleet assignment on the Navy's nickel.

I was surprised by this, since I assumed corrected vision was necessary just to get a SNA slot at OCS. I also wouldn't imagine that the Navy would allow me through flight school with uncorrected eyes.

He also told me that I would get LASIK, as long as it was done by the Navy and in the above manner, after winging.

Does anyone know the gouge on this topic?

NFOwife

Aviator Spouse
In my husband's first fleet tour, quite a few guys did get the surgery(as did my husband) through the Navy, but they were all NFO's, no pilots got it. If you read through some of the old posts or visit the NAMI website, you'll see what the specific vision requirements are for SNA. Bottom line, you can't go SNA if your vision is not up to snuff to start with, even if it is correctable.

schandra

Let me be more clear about what I meant- he said I could go through ocs and flight school with my eyesight the way it is, with glasses, as an SNA the whole time. After that, when I reported to my first assignment (i don't know if he meant frs or fleet squadron), the navy would do the lasik surgery.

I know not to get lasik, i also thought that you needed corrected eyesight before flight training, etc. I was surprised when he told me this and I told him I thought only prk was approved. He said lasik is fine as long as the navy does it. I was just wondering if anyone had heard this same thing.

NeoCortex

Castle Law for all States!!!
pilot
if your vision is 20/40 corrected to 20/20 you can still fly. Anyone can put in for PRK, but NAMI does not accept Lasik. At somepoint in the future I'm sure there will be a Lasik study, but I haven't heard about it starting yet.

ben

not missing sand
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I am pretty sure your recruiter is wrong. If you don't meet the 20/40 requirement you are NOT eligible for a SNA designator. If your eyes are within standards and you want PRK anyway that is an entirely different circumstance. Which are you?

SaiyanCivic

wait, i am 20/100 and looking to get PRK through the Navy. so does tha mean even if i do get PRK and become 20/15 i cannot go SNA? does that mean i can only go NFO?

Status
Not open for further replies.