• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

First meeting (seeking DCO) with Reserve Recruiter

hh1976

Meeting Recruiter for first time

Hello all,

I am newbie in need of some guidance.

I come from a tradition of Naval and Army officers. I am the 1st generation of my family since we arrived in the US to not serve in the armed forces. My bother will not, so it is up to me. I want to become a better man, take care of my family and protect my beloved country.

I am exploring an opportunity to serve in the Naval Reserve via the DCO program. I have no previous service, but solid work experience and 2 advanced degrees from top schools. I am trying to figure out where I would fit in best for my family and for the Navy.

My education and work experience to date include an MBA in management consulting from Wake Forest, another masters in HR and organizational behavior from Cornell Univ. and have worked in business process engineering, strategic HR management, corporate training, and have been in the academic space as a researcher and professor for the last 3 years.

I would love some advice as to what to expect. I have been looking over the websites for days and don’t feel that I am getting conclusive answers to my questions and concerns. I plan to meet with a recruiter this week, but don’t want to sound like a clueless scatter brain when I do.

Any feedback and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Finally, THANK YOU all for your amazing service to our nation.

Best regards,

Hunter

dephyler

Contributor
We're all clueless scatter brains when we speak with a recruiter the first time, no matter how well researched we are :)

The whole purpose of a recruiter is to get answers. I have a feeling, though, that he'll steer you towards the Supply Corps.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
I have been looking over the websites for days and don’t feel that I am getting conclusive answers to my questions and concerns.

I didn't see a single question in your post. Do you have any specific ones? If you do, it makes it alot easier for us to provide you with useful information.

hh1976

Thank you both for the quick reply.

I am mostly trying to see where I can fit in. I would love to look at intel, training, PAO, or even developing a new skill set that the navy needs and I could fulfill. THe NAvy website says they are looking for a list of specialties that included "business management." What are the options that might come about from that for the DCO candidate?
Would my education and expeience in social psy be helpful in a DCO slot?

My dream job at some point would be to be the CO or EX of a college ROTC program as I am already a college educator and feel that would be a great way to leverage my existing skill sets, help prepare our future officers and do something I trulely love for my life's work. Is that possible, or a pipe dream?

I am not sure what all supply corps involves, but am not interested in doing another office job like my former corporate life if that is what it is like. I am looking explore new opportunities and grow new skills with some of the best operators in the world.

Is financial assistance for Vet school an option or financial assisstance with finishing out my PhD?

Are all DCOs commissioned as an O-1 or does the possiblilty exsit that with my advncaed degrees, age (32) and work experience that I might be considered for an O-2 or even O-3 if I am accepted?

Lastly, I have heard that there are no bonuses for DCO sign up right now. Is this true? I am not in this for the money, but I do have a family and am always thinking of how best to care for them.

Thank you agian for all your help and insight. I plan to meet with a recuiter today or later this week, so the faster you all would be willing to get me some feedback on these questions the more it would help that initial visit. Again, I know you are all very busy and really thank you for taking the time to read and reply to this post.

Have a great week!

Hunter

p.s. Coat and tie to meet with recruiter or just slacks and button up dress shirt?

das

Contributor
Anything is possible! Though it will likely be a VERY long road to command of an ROTC unit, and one that may not happen exclusively via the Reserves.

You are extremely unlikely to come in as anything but O-1, unless you are in a medical or legal specialty (e.g., a surgeon going Medical Corps). E.g., for DIRCOM Intel, there are people with many years of professional experience, a PhD and multiple masters degrees, and they are coming in as O-1. Your mileage may vary, but it's virtually guaranteed to be O-1. Your recruiter (and make sure it is an officer recruiter familiar with DIRCOM (DCO) programs) will ultimately be the best source of information with regard to all of your questions.

I'll let others chime in with different experiences.

dephyler

Contributor
The purpose of the DCO program is to leverage on a person's existing skills to avoid the long development process that most new active officers go through. For example, Intel training is cut from a 20 week school following a gruelling OCS process, to a mere 36 DAYS. That's 12 weekends and a 12 day AT. Your selection will be based on, and fits, your career experience. I would be amazed to see someone with no applicable experience picked up for say, the seabees or intel.

And just a suggestion, don't go in, even meeting your recruiteer, thinking that advanced degrees get you more than any other ensign. My unit had a guy that did, and his ass is still sore from wallop. I've found that education is valued, but not if you think you're entitled to something additional, like in the commercial world.

Ex_AO

Recruiters: How to get past voice mail?

I have called the OPO phone number listed for the Houston, TX Area and always get voice mail. I left a message twice in the last two weeks and haven't gotten any call backs.

I know the recruiters can be very busy, am I just being impatient? Is it better just to show up at the recruiter's/OPO office?

Long story short I want apply to the DCO program for 1525 (AMDO) and just realized the only board scheduled for all of next year is at the end of January. It may be a pipe dream but I'm hoping to get a package together in time for it.

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
That is short amount of time to get a package put together. Its worth a try though. As far as having no luck contacting a recruiter, by all means go see him in person if you can. Your persistence is the only thing that will get the ball rolling.