• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

First flights?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cricechex

So,

I was up in a Piper Tomahawk working on 60 degree turns at a steady altitude for about half an hour. The instructor told me that at that bank there is a 2 g load on the body. None the less, I started getting a little light headed and an upset stomach. Has anyone else experienced this during their first flights?

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
You were doing 60 degree turns in a Tomahawk? I never got close to that in IFS, they were too worried the wings would fall off.

But no I didn't get that way in IFS. Maybe you were a little dehydrated and should drink more water, but other than that hope it goes away.

Tripp

You think you hate it now...
In my first flight, I got violently ill as soon as we stopped taxiing. The funny part was what came up...I had eaten Cheerios with strawberries on top for breakfast...with red Gatorade. After seeing all that red, the line guy started to radio the FBO to call 911. :splat_125 I stopped spewing long enough to say I was OK and just needed to redecorate the flight line...

I haven't had a problem since and that was 5 years ago...

EDIT: You didn't do steep turns in IFS? Man, you guys get cheated.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Pretty common experience - don't worry - airsickness and the associated symptoms are something you acclimate to. Basically you are not used to the sensations your inner ear and MK1 eyeball are giving you. It'll pass.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
"FIRST FLIGHTS" and puking?? Commercial Aviation??? --- what has this got to do with COMMERCIAL AVIATION ??? Is there something I'm missing here ??? Reality check, guys ... :)

puking-cosmo-sm.jpg
or perhaps we're talking ... VF-143, A.K.A. the Pukin' Dogs ??? No, that doesn't have a thing to do with commercial aviation, either ... :confused: :sleep_125

GTDaveMac

Well... past 60 degrees requires parachutes, so I doubt that the IFS school wants to get anywhere close to that.

FAR 91.307
"C. Unless each occupant of the aircraft is wearing an approved parachute, no pilot of a civil aircraft carrying any person (other than a crewmember) may execute any inten-tional maneuver that exceeds:

1. A bank of 60 degrees relative to the horizon; or
2. A nose-up or nose-down attitude of 30 degrees relative to the horizon.
"

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Bob234 said:
Well... past 60 degrees requires parachutes, so I doubt that the IFS school wants to get anywhere close to that.

FAR 91.307
"C. Unless each occupant of the aircraft is wearing an approved parachute, no pilot of a civil aircraft carrying any person (other than a crewmember) may execute any inten-tional maneuver that exceeds:

"
Yeah, right, like the "rules" are going to stop them. ;)

Brett

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
It's at 60 degrees AOB that 2 G's is required to maintain altitude. 45 degrees would not require that much pull, you would begin climbing at 2 G's.

VarmintShooter

Bottom of the barrel
pilot
Drink more water and eat either ginger snaps or animal crackers before the flight.

Those two things got me through all of the flight syllabus so far without puking. Felt bad on my first flight and a PA flight in primary, but never lost my lunch. Still carry some bags, just in case I fly with someone who likes doing the rudder dance ...

Tripp

You think you hate it now...
:banghead_

Yeah...you can tell how long it's been since I've done steep turns...

ChuckMK23

pilot
Bob234 said:

FAR 91.307

"

The key word in that FAR is "EXCEEDS" - so 60 deg AOB is just fine :)
and
doesn't apply if you are solo or "crew". CFI and student sounds like crew to me!

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Puking? 60 degrees? Animal crackers? First flights?

puking-cosmo-sm.jpg
Image10504.gif
29252.gif
runglide.jpg

... Still trying to come to grips with what any of this thread has to do with "Commercial Aviation" ... guess I am a party of ... one?? I give up ... and weep for the future of my country and Naval Aviation ... :)

ChuckMK23

pilot
Well A4s is right - probably not the best place for this thread.

But where do you come up with an image of a protractor on such short notice? Lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.