• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Fewer hours in the P-3 would suck

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigmouth

You know I don't speak Spanish!
Hi,

I just selected P-3's, and will soon be headed to Corpus for T-44/C12's.
I have heard from several IP's, however, that you'd be lucky if you got 200hrs a year flying P-3's these days. That is hugely disappointing. I don't want to spend every single workday at a desk. It simply can't be true. Anyone care to comment?

Also, I've heard Corpus sucks a big one compared to P'Cola. What's so bad about it? Is the weather much worse or is it just boring as crap?

How about Jax? I've heard a lot of people put it as their first choice after advanced. I would like to know why. Seems like Hawaii or Rota would be much more fun.

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
only thing I can comment intelligently about is corpus...
IT SUX and here is why...

1- Have you ever lived somewhere that in the morning the local news gives the "Tar and Jelly Fish report" instead of the surf report????

2- The town has this wonderful smell in the morning, something like an outhouse was overturned.

3- Nightlife sux. Let me qualify this statement. I HATE Squids and Kids in P'cola so lets make sure I am not using that as a baseline. You can go downtown... bars will be empty most of the time. Filled with fat chicks (becuase everyone in corpus is a fat ass.) Or you can go to Murdocks or Farrah's, but it will be a giant sword fight because the only people there are Squids and Jarheads.

4- Mentioned earlier, but worth mentioning agian... EVERYON IS FAT. I mean LARGE.

5- Nothing that even resemeble a bagel shop or something like that for a quick breakfast on the way to work.

6- The lady who runs the Greasy Spoon in the hanger is a militant BIATCH!

Sorry if this darkens your day.

NFOwife

Aviator Spouse
I can't comment on the P-3 issues, but we lived in Jax for 2 1/2 years before coming to Corpus. One reason I imagine lots of guys would want to stay in Jax is that the FRS is in Jax, so they wouldn't have to move again. We really liked Jax, but if you're a single guy, I'm not sure that it would be a better choice than HI or Rota. It's great for families though, and housing is very reasonable with good schools in the area. I'd be happy to answer any questions you have specifically about Jax no specific to P-3's though.

bigmouth

Thanks for the info on Corpus. How's the weather down there compared with P'Cola?

NFowife,

What did you like about Jax besides housing/schools? What is there to do there? I've heard a lot of people like it much more than P'Cola. You?

I've heard about the Rota rumors. Where can I find out if they're true? It seems like the debate has been going on for ages. Rota would be so sweet. If they close it down, how soon will that be?

Also, can anyone comment on my first question about the max 200hrs flying P-3's these days? I'd really like to build up more hours than that per year.

NFOwife

Aviator Spouse
Well, Jax is a much bigger and more metropolitan city, IMO (than Pensacola). It's also very spread out. There are better restaurants and shopping than I've seen in Pensacola (but I never lived there, only visited- wasn't impressed. And you won't be impressed with Corpus either! :sleep_125 ). We had quite a few P-3 couples/families in our neighborhood. I'm not sure what you are looking for in a city. Are you married? We weren't heavily into the bar scene like a lot of the bachelors in our squadron were. But there are plenty of bars and places to go out, and the University of North Florida is located in Jax too. The metro Jax area is pretty much from St. Augustine up to Amelia Island/Fernandina Beach, which are nice.
Jax is pretty well located as well, Savannah, Charleston, Atlanta, and most areas of FL are an easy drive (we drove down to South FL a LOT, since we're from there).

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
bigmouth said:
Hi,

I just selected P-3's, and will soon be headed to Corpus for T-44/C12's.
I have heard from several IP's, however, that you'd be lucky if you got 200hrs a year flying P-3's these days. That is hugely disappointing. I don't want to spend every single workday at a desk. It simply can't be true. Anyone care to comment?

Also, I've heard Corpus sucks a big one compared to P'Cola. What's so bad about it? Is the weather much worse or is it just boring as crap?

How about Jax? I've heard a lot of people put it as their first choice after advanced. I would like to know why. Seems like Hawaii or Rota would be much more fun.

The 200 hour thing is pretty much true. Maybe a little more. Due to airframe restraints that are only going to get worse, as much training as is possible will be done in sims (which, on a bright note, are being overhauled and modified). Also, keep in mind, the missions that are flown will be of greater importance. Less time flying practice tactical missions (this will be done in a sim), more flight time for real world stuff on deployment. Trust me, you won't be at a desk everyday. There really isnt that much desk work to be done by a LTJG or even a LT. Maybe 10-15% of the senior J.O.'s are doing that now, that isn't a lot.

Also, keep in mind, just because you qualify as a Patrol Plane Commander, doesn't mean you automatically get to lead a crew. You will have to show the guys upstairs that you give some semblence of a damn about the squadron. These days, there are qualified guys who don't hold crews who fly the occasional touch and go trainer ('bounce hop') but pretty much fly minimally and often as co-pilots to their contemporaries. This happens for various reasons, but with less hours, its gonna be even more competitive.

As I have said many times, Corpus (like your platform, your squadron, your time in the Navy) is what you make of it. If you genuinely go out and make an effort, Texas can be a lot of fun. Make friends with all those "Fat locals". Ok, they're fat, they're still good people and the majority love the military. Those are the folks who invite you to BBQs, to go fishing, let you use their boats, and introduce you to their not-so-fat-in-fact-quite-hot daughters/nieces/god-daughters from UT and A&M. There's a ton of good mom and pop restaurants as well. I HATED Corpus while in the program, and I did the whole thing there. I stressed the whole time and didn't do anything but binge drink Friday afternoon-Sunday morning. BUT, I had 3 months "off" after winging, with a BS stash job, and I used the time to check out the whole area. San Antonio and Austin are easy, great road trips. My friends and I still re-live those times. Just balance the work with the play and you'll do fine. In short, its no worse than P-Cola.

Jax is okay. It was a little spread out for my taste, lot of traffic as well. I wanted to fly in East Asia and the Gulf (i'd been to Europs and didn't really fall in love with it), thats gonna be primarily the West Coast squadrons. My buddy stayed in Jax because he wanted to be able to go home to the NE to see his family regularly. My family is from the same area, but 1 day with them drives me up a wall, so I didn't mind going far far away. I can't talk for married guys, but single life in Hawaii is pretty damn sweet. PM me with specific questions.

Jaxs170

www.YANKEESSUCK.com
Corpus is not that bad, if you don't believe me, put E-6s down, get selected, and try Enid, OK for 7 months, believe me, 90% of you would be wishing you were back in Corpus. :icon_tong About the only good thing about Enid/Vance is that it actually gets a few months of winter, which I know most of you beach bums hate hence why I say 90%.

Vic

Your MOM!
pilot
virtu050 said:
you know what's weird? they had like 11 P-3 slots this past selection..

It's not weird, it always happens when not enough people are selecting a certain pipeline. There is always a reason why people don't select a pipeline or even return to it after their shore tour. So if you don't know what that reason is, then prepare to take it in the shorts! :eek:

bigmouth

Yeah, I'll just make the most of Corpus, I guess. 6 months won't kill me. Actually, it was mentioned that t-44/c12's often takes a year to complete, with weather being a big factor. Anyone know if this is true?

Zab1001,

Thanks for your response. I appreciate the clarification. So, if you're not flying and there's not much to do in terms of a desk job, then what exactly are you doing? Just using the sims day in and day out? Also, if you weren't to make ac commander and lead, then wouldn't you be booted from the squadron? What use would they have for you?

Also, does anyone care to comment on the base at Corpus. I know it has to be better than Whiting. Well, I hope the gym is better, at least...

Thanks

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
bigmouth said:
Yeah, I'll just make the most of Corpus, I guess. 6 months won't kill me. Actually, it was mentioned that t-44/c12's often takes a year to complete, with weather being a big factor. Anyone know if this is true?

Zab1001,

Thanks for your response. I appreciate the clarification. So, if you're not flying and there's not much to do in terms of a desk job, then what exactly are you doing? Just using the sims day in and day out? Also, if you weren't to make ac commander and lead, then wouldn't you be booted from the squadron? What use would they have for you?

Also, does anyone care to comment on the base at Corpus. I know it has to be better than Whiting. Well, I hope the gym is better, at least...

Thanks

Advanced took me about 8-9 months. Good times. Weather...well typically if it really sucked we'd take off and do our business (after FAMs) at a WAY outlying field.

"Thanks for your response. I appreciate the clarification. So, if you're not flying and there's not much to do in terms of a desk job, then what exactly are you doing?"

Um....golfing...at the beach (at least in Hawaii)...avoiding the man...

No seriously, you have a shop to run, or maybe you are working in a department like Tactics or safety. You won't be overwhelmed, and on AVERAGE your first year and a half to 2 yrs are spent studying and upgrading to PPC. Your ground job won't take away too much time from studying. If you're a nugget pilot and you're at work, but not working in your shop, you're studying your butt off for the systems board and your 2P check flight. Hounding PPCs...making them sign your PQS and watching them try to remember how to explain systems they havent studied in depth since they were in your shoes. After 2P, you have to start studying the tactical stuff for PPC, and since most of that stuff is sensitive, guess what? You have to do it in a secure space in the hangar. You are also helping junior guys study as well, once you start to get seniority.

There's also the dreaded annual NATOPS open and closed book exam, which requires a huge squadron wide (Pilots, NFOs, all Aircrew positions) gear-up as far a group studying and preparation.

"Just using the sims day in and day out?"

Maybe twice a week. Maybe somethng for the upgrading syllabus, maybe a tactical trainer for your crew, if you are qualified maybe just a nice practice session for 2 and 3 engine landings. A good 2 months or so each homecycle is devoted to your crew qualifying to deploy (sims, flights, all done together to prove you are safe and capable tactically). This also includes seminars, classwork, etc. These quals have to be maintained and subswquent re-quals occur to keep an aircrew "Combat Ready".

"Also, if you weren't to make ac commander and lead, then wouldn't you be booted from the squadron? What use would they have for you?"

Like I said, they will QUALIFY you, IF you are competent, pass your review boards, checkrides, and the Skipper is confident in your ability to be "ulitmately responisble for the safe operation of the aircraft". They'll keep you in their back pocket, in case they need a PPC for a crew going out to do something and the regular PPC is med down, or needs time off or whatever. You will get your minimum aircraft commander time each month (don't ask, I don't remember) to stay legally qualified to sign for an aircraft. No matter what, yu won't be bored, and if you are DON'T tell anyone, you're asking for it. Look busy, help junior guys qualify. You'll have days where you really won't do much, and then you'll have day where you're working on a project that takes from 7am to 7 pm (but not often).

I've seen 2 guys not qualify as PPCs, they both kept their wings, but didn't fly in the Navy again. It is very rare. The PPCs without crews are used to fill in on tactical events and various other evolutions.

Did any of that make sense? I just got home from spanish class and my head is swimming.

Don't listen to anybody who hasn't been there/done that ("get ready to take it"- yeah whatever) You are gonna have a blast. Balance balance balance. And don't dick over anybody in your squadron.

And go WESTPAC!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.