• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Female soldiers eyed for combat

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevin

"I am a firefighter, and I have to tell you that the wash-out rate (at my station) for women due to not meeting the physical requirements is around 400% in comparrison to the guy's rate. We are DIFFERENT physically. You have to be an idiot or fully blinded by your emotions to say different. Yes, some women are quite amazing, and if a girl can do the same things I can I am quite amazed and give her my respect and even admiration. Yet, In the Infantry ( I dont care about indirect-combat jobs) women will be a distraction and more likely affect the outcome. IT is not about who dreams to be what, it is about who can do the best job on a mission. Aviation is a COMPLETE DIFFERENT matter than ground combat; you guys should know that. I know guys in Ranger Units that have been discharged for not been able to "cope with the environment", and I am not talking about homosexual dudes. Just think what would happen if you throw women in there, definitely not pretty.

Engine girl, you say Jessica Lynch doesnt represent all women. Guess what, NO WOMAN DOES. Why should we change the law for that, may be 1%, that may be able to keep up with the operational tempo and lifestyle? Also, why should we filter out that majority of male GIs, that though not bright, moral or ethical, get the job done and are willing to risk their life for our country. Guess what guys, if those dudes are willing to put their lifes on the line for our nation I dont care about where they put their "winkies." If you want respect, fairness and etiquette, try diplomacy. Last time I checked, that was the place to be nice.Remember that the military back in the day use to be a bunch of criminals, it has change over time, but the best fighters are those who want to fight (being redundant here.) Dont get me wong, I am TOTALLY against rapes and women abuse, like it happened in Panama; but stuff happens. Life is not perfect, war is definitely not fair or nice (people die remember?), yet that's what the military is designed for, to go to war when needed and defend our nation and values. Give me a good argument for sacrificing a great number of Male GIs for may be a couple females that can do the job. Do that and I'll respect your opinion. Otherwise, please dont keep on making "progressive" arguments plz (i.e. Is not fair, I dont like that, we are equal, there is a tiny percentage who are superwomen,etc, and all that bluffing.) About the nose-breaking incident with your bf, He was either "wimpy", a "gentleman" that wasn't gonna fight back or a mixture of both. Try doing that to somebody who doesnt really have any attachments to you (random Infantry guy) and tell me what you would do when he puts a blade to your neck. Lastly, I'd like to see you in an Infantry unit for a day or in Jessica's situation( Not literally, I really wouldnt want anyone in that situation) and see how you would handle it.

MODERATORS: Though this is a free-posting forum, can we please LOCK this thread up. It will go forever and people will argue the same thing over and over without acomplishing anything. IT IS POINTLESS."

--speaking of making emotional statements.........

"I am a firefighter, and I have to tell you that the wash-out rate (at my station) for women due to not meeting the physical requirements is around 400% in comparrison to the guy's rate. We are DIFFERENT physically. You have to be an idiot or fully blinded by your emotions to say different. Yes, some women are quite amazing, and if a girl can do the same things I can I am quite amazed and give her my respect and even admiration."
--you're an idiot if you really think anyone here was or is arguing that women and men are physically equal. please reread...it's like a damn broken record.

"Aviation is a COMPLETE DIFFERENT matter than ground combat"

--correct...and there are seperate physical standards for men and women in aviation (as far as pt- not for g-force, etc, as far as i know [actually women handle g's better]) ---there should be no different physical standards for ground combat (do i need to repeat this 100 more times for you).

"Give me a good argument for sacrificing a great number of Male GIs for may be a couple females that can do the job. Do that and I'll respect your opinion."

--better yet, give me a good reason why putting a female who is "a guy" when it comes to physical abilities in a ground unit is going to sacrafice good GI's. besides your personal opinions, that is.

dude, bottom line is, if all the ground unit men are that far superior to ANY female who might want to pursue a position in a ground unit, and there are exactly identical physical standards, then what do you have to be afraid of?! she'll never make it. so keep your pants on. and if you want to ask moderators to lock up a thread, stop posting.

SFgirl

And yet again, my dearest Cate brings up a most valid point... I think everyone has given their point, and no one is changing their mind on this topic... everyone go to happy hour and be done with it.

Cate said:
Although I disagree with just about everything that Manny says and most of the things that he's thinking, I do agree that no one is going to change anyone else's mind on this particular topic.

manny7_99

kevin said:
"I am a firefighter, and I have to tell you that the wash-out rate (at my station) for women due to not meeting the physical requirements is around 400% in comparrison to the guy's rate. We are DIFFERENT physically. You have to be an idiot or fully blinded by your emotions to say different. Yes, some women are quite amazing, and if a girl can do the same things I can I am quite amazed and give her my respect and even admiration. Yet, In the Infantry ( I dont care about indirect-combat jobs) women will be a distraction and more likely affect the outcome. IT is not about who dreams to be what, it is about who can do the best job on a mission. Aviation is a COMPLETE DIFFERENT matter than ground combat; you guys should know that. I know guys in Ranger Units that have been discharged for not been able to "cope with the environment", and I am not talking about homosexual dudes. Just think what would happen if you throw women in there, definitely not pretty.

Engine girl, you say Jessica Lynch doesnt represent all women. Guess what, NO WOMAN DOES. Why should we change the law for that, may be 1%, that may be able to keep up with the operational tempo and lifestyle? Also, why should we filter out that majority of male GIs, that though not bright, moral or ethical, get the job done and are willing to risk their life for our country. Guess what guys, if those dudes are willing to put their lifes on the line for our nation I dont care about where they put their "winkies." If you want respect, fairness and etiquette, try diplomacy. Last time I checked, that was the place to be nice.Remember that the military back in the day use to be a bunch of criminals, it has change over time, but the best fighters are those who want to fight (being redundant here.) Dont get me wong, I am TOTALLY against rapes and women abuse, like it happened in Panama; but stuff happens. Life is not perfect, war is definitely not fair or nice (people die remember?), yet that's what the military is designed for, to go to war when needed and defend our nation and values. Give me a good argument for sacrificing a great number of Male GIs for may be a couple females that can do the job. Do that and I'll respect your opinion. Otherwise, please dont keep on making "progressive" arguments plz (i.e. Is not fair, I dont like that, we are equal, there is a tiny percentage who are superwomen,etc, and all that bluffing.) About the nose-breaking incident with your bf, He was either "wimpy", a "gentleman" that wasn't gonna fight back or a mixture of both. Try doing that to somebody who doesnt really have any attachments to you (random Infantry guy) and tell me what you would do when he puts a blade to your neck. Lastly, I'd like to see you in an Infantry unit for a day or in Jessica's situation( Not literally, I really wouldnt want anyone in that situation) and see how you would handle it.

MODERATORS: Though this is a free-posting forum, can we please LOCK this thread up. It will go forever and people will argue the same thing over and over without acomplishing anything. IT IS POINTLESS."

--speaking of making emotional statements.........

"I am a firefighter, and I have to tell you that the wash-out rate (at my station) for women due to not meeting the physical requirements is around 400% in comparrison to the guy's rate. We are DIFFERENT physically. You have to be an idiot or fully blinded by your emotions to say different. Yes, some women are quite amazing, and if a girl can do the same things I can I am quite amazed and give her my respect and even admiration."
--you're an idiot if you really think anyone here was or is arguing that women and men are physically equal. please reread...it's like a damn broken record.

--correct...and there are seperate physical standards for men and women in aviation (as far as pt- not for g-force, etc, as far as i know [actually women handle g's better]) ---there should be no different physical standards for ground combat (do i need to repeat this 100 more times for you).

"Give me a good argument for sacrificing a great number of Male GIs for may be a couple females that can do the job. Do that and I'll respect your opinion."

--better yet, give me a good reason why putting a female who is "a guy" when it comes to physical abilities in a ground unit is going to sacrafice good GI's. besides your personal opinions, that is.

dude, bottom line is, if all the ground unit men are that far superior to ANY female who might want to pursue a position in a ground unit, and there are exactly identical physical standards, then what do you have to be afraid of?! she'll never make it. so keep your pants on. and if you want to ask moderators to lock up a thread, stop posting.

"Dude" go and take a shower.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
While women 'may' handle G forces better, there is no conclusive evidence that they do only because they are female. IF they do it is only because they have shorter distances from heart to head; nothing at all to do with sexual orientation, all to do with physical characteristics of folks who are short.

gagirl

I'm going to throw my 2 cents in here...

after being married for awhile and learning the inside secrets from my husband on how guys really are I agree that women would just be a distraction. Even if they can "hold their own" they would still be a distraction. Men are men and they think/act the way they do because they are men and nothing will change that. It may not be fair and we may not like it, but men will always be trying to get in a girls pants wherever and whenever. Not while bullets are flying, but you know what I mean...downtime. Hell there might be a few out there that would. At least think about it maybe. It's just the way they are.

I've also learned that guys aren't "just friends" with a girl. There is almost always a reason they are hanging around. The more I thought about it the more I realized it is true. When my SO and I started dating he would say who's so and so and I would tell him that he was just a friend. Now I know
why my SO wasn't so crazy about that.

I do know of a Marine that was in Iraq for the 1st part of the war and went into Baghdad. On the way in they got into a firefight and woman in his platoon stood up, ran off and started crying etc. He said it about got them all killed b/c he had to mess with her freakin' out instead of what was going on.

As much as I would love to be the one up on the front pulling the trigger I think I'll leave it to the men. Like WWII I would do my part here or wherever to support those that are fighting. I'm sure that there are some women that could hack it, but I think it's best left the way it is and has been. Not everything has to be changed. You can't always make everyone happy.

As usual, I'm sure I'm going to get blasted on something, but this is my opinion.

Pray for our men and women overseas.

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
CHECK THE DATES ON A THREAD! ESPECIALLY A RETARDED THREAD B4 RESURRECTING IT FOR ALL TO SUFFER THROUGH AGAIN!! This was almost 4 mos old.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
bch said:
CHECK THE DATES ON A THREAD! ESPECIALLY A RETARDED THREAD B4 RESURRECTING IT FOR ALL TO SUFFER THROUGH AGAIN!! This was almost 4 mos old.
Closer to three months, check your math.

bch, what business is it of yours if "I" don't conform to your standards? The information posted was still correct.

Boo hoo, bad rep points for it. BFD. 'Course, being a helo guy, you should know a lot about G-forces.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
bch said:
Thanks for sharing your ignorance.

Check your math again, bonehead. The post most previous to mine was 28 OCT, mine was 29 JAN. 3 months and a day. Not quite almost 4 months old.

If you don't want to suffer through it, don't read it. Pretty simple concept.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
In aviation terms....we'd call this one a "Luffberry"...a death spiral to the deck!

My opinion on this topic from the aviation side of the house (can't speak on ground combat as I don't do that...) is simple...the machine cares not who flies it. It simply responds to flight control inputs. So whether it's a male/female pilot on my wing doesn't mean a hoot to me. If the aircrew (written gender neutral intentionally) is fully qualified and can fly the mission, they're welcome in my ready room.
r/
G

Status
Not open for further replies.