• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

female navy-hopeful has a question

Status
Not open for further replies.

komraderage

Howdy guys!

This gal needs some honest, real advice and this place looks like just the spot.

I'm a 30 yr old female with two masters degrees. I'm applying for a spot in the areas that are still open for someone my age: Intel, Crypto, AMDO. My recruiter says that I still have to take the aviation portions of the test...I thought I would only have to take the verbal/math and mechanical part (that's what I've been studing).

What is your opinion? What are my chances of being accepted if I make the score?

Thanks!

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
For AMDO you have to take the aviation portion. Not required for Intel and Crypto but we usually encourage people to take it anyway. Don't worry. If you don't do well on the aviation stuff and put down Intel or Crytp as your choices, then they WILL NOT consider how you did on the aviation portion. It is a no jeopordy thing for Intel and Crypto, but you should look at some material to prepare you for the aviation stuff for AMDO. AMDO is a good program often overlook. Don't let it slip through your fingers because you didn't study for it.

WFU2USN

komraderage,

Beyond the ASTB, there are a lot of other factors that will determine if you get accepted - PRT Results, GPA (all of them), work experience, letters of recommendation, personal statement, etc. Given this, nobody on this board is really qualified to give you a thumbs up or down. Do your best to put together an excellent package, and feel free to field ideas on the forum as you go through the process.

Good luck!

Robin
IS2(SCW)

http://www.geocities.com/califchick1175/USN/navy.html

komraderage

Thanks for your responses guys! I really appreciate the thoughtful, professional answers you guys gave me.

As far as the PRT goes, I've already started a fitness program and I'll be in shape. My GPA as an undergrad was 3.5 and in grad school it was a 3.9...as for work, all I've ever done is teach...I teach at a community college right now...and my letters of reference are my fellow teachers (they know the good work I do).

In truth, I guess I was wondering how competitive Intel and Crypto are...Intel is definitely my first choice...seems to fit my interests more.

BTW, are there any women out there who have gone through OCS or have been accepted? If so, care to give any advice?

Thanks!

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Teaching experience is something that can be a valuable asset to an Intel applicant. Intel officers, especially junior officers, make lots of briefs and training lectures. They take large volumes of information gleaned from open sources and classified documents and analyizes them and then tailors it a topical presentation. When you get to the motivational statement in you application I recommend emphasizing your experience in front of people, taking questions and thinking on your feet. Your oral communication skills.

Status
Not open for further replies.