• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Failed Hearing Test

MiddieQ

pilot
Hey guys. I'm sitting here at A-pool (just classed up for IFS) and I am currently on dispo awaiting an ENT consult and a formal audiogram for hearing loss in one ear.

I have a few questions regarding my future.

First off, does anyone here know what a formal audiogram basically entails. I've heard it has to do with speech recognition and the tones and ect., but has anyone actually gone through it?

Second off, I was reviewing the NAMI/NOMI waiver guide for hearing loss. It says that "Waivers will be considered depending on the degree of hearing loss, and the
member’s functional capability."
It goes on to talk about the wearing of a hearing aid in the cockpit. I have never heard of anyone doing this, but what do i know? I'm an ensign... Has anyone around here heard of it? It doesn't really explain what is needed to get a waiver, just a lot of background information.

Also, what concerns does unilateral hearing loss even bring about? If I can hear normal speech, and can turn the headphones/headset up if i have any problems, why is this really a big issue? One summer cruise the headset was so loud it actually hurt both my ears when I got in the cockpit...

The only good news (for me) is that right now big navy seems pretty desperate for pilots.

Anyone with any experience or information about this would be really helpful, thanks

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Hmph, they didn't just rebaseline the loss and call it good? Weird - that's what they normally seem to do... Maybe Feddoc can answer.

TimeBomb

Noise, vibration and harshness
Q
Did you have any hearing loss on your entry physical? Any change in the 4 years between your initial physical and now would be significant, and requires an explanation.

A formal audiogram consists of a repeat of the pure tone audiogram you have had as a screening, with additional speech recognition testing. You'll be listening to a string of words in each ear, which you have to correctly identify to pass.

Assuming your baseline audiogram was normal, the main concern about unilateral hearing loss is some sort of structural abnormality in the ear. Noise-induced hearing loss (the condition that afflicts, or will eventually afflict most of the folks on this forum) is unlikely to explain your situation, unless you've been exposed to really excessive noise during your brief military career. That would also tend to affect both ears, which doesn't exactly describe your situation. Other possibilities include damage to the bones of the inner ear from repeated infections, fluid in the inner ear as a consequence of infection, or damage to the auditory nerve from any number of causes. You can also have hearing loss from occlusion of the external ear canal (infection causing swelling, excessive wax, etc.).

The ENT evaluation will be looking into all those possibilities.

I would recommend not getting ahead of yourself at this point. Let's figure out what's going on, then we can talk waiver recommendations if need be.
R/