• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS Failed DP at meps and selected NFO

* UPDATE
just a heads up for anyone who found themselves in this situation. I applied to convert to sna and was finally accepted. I was given the news a week after finishing API. I applied a few weeks after I checked into pensacola. Probably took about 4 months to hear the results. When I went to apply I was told by the A pool officer and the civilians who were processing the package that it would be impossible and trying would just show me that sometimes you can't get what you want sometimes in the navy. Moral of the story is if people tell you something, don't listen to them. Tons of people do back down and never apply because they are told it's a waste of time. If you want it, you need to take it. I worked extremely hard in OCS, was near the top of my class, and same for API. If your in this situation try not to give up. Always hope for the best but expect the worst.
Don't forget this moment as you proceed in your career. Hope for the best, expect the worst, and walk like a badass after an unlikely win. Happy for ya brother!

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
* UPDATE
just a heads up for anyone who found themselves in this situation. I applied to convert to sna and was finally accepted. I was given the news a week after finishing API. I applied a few weeks after I checked into pensacola. Probably took about 4 months to hear the results. When I went to apply I was told by the A pool officer and the civilians who were processing the package that it would be impossible and trying would just show me that sometimes you can't get what you want sometimes in the navy. Moral of the story is if people tell you something, don't listen to them. Tons of people do back down and never apply because they are told it's a waste of time. If you want it, you need to take it. I worked extremely hard in OCS, was near the top of my class, and same for API. If your in this situation try not to give up. Always hope for the best but expect the worst.

While congratulations are in order, I would argue this is the exception rather than the norm. If you're selected for an OCS program, say NFO, big Navy is counting/tracking you to serve as an NFO. While exceptions can be made for those who are medically DQ'd through the NAMI whammy, it's very rare for the aviation pipeline to accommodate someone who is having second thoughts as an NFO. This is why I brief Pilot / NFO applicants before they submit their application to be 100% sure in what they're applying for.

I'm pretty sure your chain would really appreciate your belief in which "if people tell you something, don't listen to them", especially if lives are at stake.

Ironstar

While congratulations are in order, I would argue this is the exception rather than the norm. If you're selected for an OCS program, say NFO, big Navy is counting/tracking you to serve as an NFO. While exceptions can be made for those who are medically DQ'd through the NAMI whammy, it's very rare for the aviation pipeline to accommodate someone who is having second thoughts as an NFO. This is why I brief Pilot / NFO applicants before they submit their application to be 100% sure in what they're applying for.

I'm pretty sure your chain would really appreciate your belief in which "if people tell you something, don't listen to them", especially if lives are at stake.

Obviosusly this was in relation to a career aspiration. Not orders...

FLGUY

“Technique only”
pilot
Contributor

It may be the exception to the rule, but I saw it happen firsthand to multiple people whilst in API myself. It seemed mostly geared towards Pilots who had gotten forced into swapping to NFO after NAMI or the OCS flight physical, rather than a normally-accessed NFO who just wants to be a Pilot instead. More of a “Huh, your vision isn’t as bad as we thought. Sorry for re-designating you, let’s undo that!” type situation.

If someone gets their designator changed after they signed on the dotted line, for something entirely out of their control, they should take every opportunity, no matter how unlikely or statistically insignificant to reverse the decision. Anecdotally speaking, the chances of somebody reversing the re-designation is higher than most people may think.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
It may be the exception to the rule, but I saw it happen firsthand to multiple people whilst in API myself. It seemed mostly geared towards Pilots who had gotten forced into swapping to NFO after NAMI or the OCS flight physical, rather than a normally-accessed NFO who just wants to be a Pilot instead. More of a “Huh, your vision isn’t as bad as we thought. Sorry for re-designating you, let’s undo that!” type situation.

If someone gets their designator changed after they signed on the dotted line, for something entirely out of their control, they should take every opportunity, no matter how unlikely or statistically insignificant to reverse the decision. Anecdotally speaking, the chances of somebody reversing the re-designation is higher than most people may think.

At the same time I say it’s very misleading to tell someone their chances are very good to redes from NFO to Pilot whether it’s flight school or in the fleet.

FLGUY

“Technique only”
pilot
Contributor
At the same time I say it’s very misleading to tell someone their chances are very good to redes from NFO to Pilot whether it’s flight school or in the fleet.

I agree, which is why it’s important to make that clear. You shouldn’t join a commissioning program with the initial intent to immediately redesignate, but it’s nice to have in the back of your head that if the flight physical process gets botched, and you get re-designated because of it, there’s a path to claw your way back if the re-designation was in error. Even if it’s not a guarantee.

It’s just nice to know that for once, the military’s stance on something isn’t entirely “Suck it up, deal with it, there’s nothing you can do, and move on”.

Python

pilot
Contributor

He didn’t say that. He’s not misleading anyone. He’s giving the other side of the story. Your side is from before someone becomes an officer. His is after. Maybe he’s closer to that side in this context (redes) than you are.