• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

F-18 Sim Gouge?

CAMike

None
Contributor
Howdy AW's,

My son will have the opportunity of a lifetime this week. He's going to the 18 simulator at Lemoore on Wed. My son is in treatment for Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia (ALL) and "The Navy" has graciously afforded him the opportunity to get in the sim and play (non-moving sim). He'll also get a brief tour around the base with his best friend and Dad by Lt. W. so it will be a very memorable day in his life.

Question:

If I get to sit in the SIM, I want to be able to get through the W/R checklists so that I can come around R14 or R32 and drop a 500 pounder on the sim building. I thought the guys operating the sim might get a good chuckle if I can pull this off unannounced. Although Master Arm "ON" may give it way a bit early.

My son is 8 yrs old and is much more intelligent than his father. He can already memorize a fair amount of info on short notice. If you were 8 yrs, old what would you want to do in the sim, other than loops, aileron rolls etc.?

When they asked what he wanted printed on his flight suit my "FNG" recommendation was pretty much ignored. :) My wife had the same reaction- go figure.

Any recommendations that would make his experience meet/exceed max fun would be greatly appreciated. Let's face it- he's going to have an awesome time with some great Navy folks. Only 12 more months of chemo to go!

Thanks,

CAMike

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
When they asked what he wanted printed on his flight suit my "FNG" recommendation was pretty much ignored. :) My wife had the same reaction- go figure.

FNG??? Your wife & Son were right. Give him a SH pilot nickname. Use the coolest handle you've ever heard & assign it to him.:cool:

BTW, the Lemoore F/A-18 Sim crew were very gracious (with a sense of humor), to guests at our VA-146 reunion back in '98. Each of our OLD A-4 era drivers got 2 night cat/traps in the Hornet NCLT. The wives each got a day field takeoff & short flight around the area. My wife on takeoff, left the runway at about 80kts... sliding through the cotton fields, bells clanging, red CRASH lights flashing; to a Sim Instructor chorus of " Over the river and through the woods, to Grandmother's house we go"! Great fun.:)
BzB

KBayDog

I'm sure a photo-op in/near an aircraft, as well as a visit to a ready room would make his day. Hell, just being on the flightline, taking it all in, is going to blow his mind.

What a great deal for him - I can't wait until he gets his own AW account that evening and rolls in with a "What are my chances/look at my stats" post. :)

CAMike

None
Contributor
BzB- Concur. Owen is very aware of his mortality at 8 yrs of age with this entire process so I thought- go for the gusto if you know what I mean, F= "freaking" of course. LT. W suggested a video game name like Ninjago xxx so unless someone has a better idea I think what ever they come up with is going to be OK3.

KBay.. I've already informed him that the tolerance for those type of questions on the web site would mean that you're asking someone else to do the leg work for you so IF he gets to the ripe old age of 22- he'll likely not ask those type of questions on AW. Then again... at 22 most everyone does things without thinking it through first.

Owen and I fly RC aircraft and he uses the Laptop SIM software (Phoenix v4), so I asked him today what he should do once he lines up the on the runway. He responded with an uncertain tone of voice. Daddy- I do the left hand all the way forward and wait until I go fast enough, then pull the middle stick back... I told him that was an excellent idea and since you'll weigh as much as a tractor trailer, don't jerk the stick around too much under 200 IAS, bad juju happens if you do. He smiled and simultaneously looked confused so dad will stop advising now.

Thanks guys. I appreciate it. Now just tell me what I need to energize and align electrically to have weapons release capability. That SIM building is going down if I have to 911 it. :)

KBayDog

Thanks guys. I appreciate it. Now just tell me what I need to energize and align electrically to have weapons release capability. That SIM building is going down if I have to 911 it. :)

I can't answer that question...but I can guess what he's going to look like when those bottom-feeding (simulated) rotorheads pluck him from the (simulated) drink. :D

AUtiger

Crossing over to the dark side
pilot
Knowing the sim guys they can make whatever you want happen. I'm sure he will have a good time. Sounds like he knows more than I did starting out. Leave the sim building alone. Bomb the tower or hanger one

CAMike

None
Contributor
Thanks Gents! Your help/advise is appreciated. My son and his friend had the time of their life during their squadron spaces tour and sim practice today. Our tour guides (Penguin and Swade) were absolutely superb! They really made this a special day. The PR's and Swade even set up a flight suit for him.

Son took off from MCAS Miramar and used his 4 inch rockets to take out the San Diego power plant in the sim. His friend did equally well for 8 yrs olds. VFA-122 and Children's Hospital of Central CA really went the extra mile to make this happen, so hat's off to them. God Bless the NAVY and all who make the daily sacrifice to keep us, "The Nation". (One more year of chemo and his treatment should be complete.)

Thanks again AW Wardroom!

naslemoore38152012.jpg

220vfa122220higpull8x10.jpg

Mr. Blonde

My ass is a motherfuckin' champion
pilot
That must've been you guys I saw eating lunch in the fly-by diner today, glad y'all had a great time.