• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

F-14D Vs F/A-18E/F

Status
Not open for further replies.

LosMike

A friend emailed this link to an article on this subject. I would like to know your opinions on the subject and the article. This is the link.

http://www.flightjournal.com/fj/articles/f14f18/f14f18_1.asp

JTP

Yeah...Is the Navy getting any of those JSF's or the F-22? I'm pretty sure the Navy isn't getting the F-22, but that JSF sure looks pretty damn stellar.

YEAH COME ON!!

Valion310

My thought on the artical, It was a fairly good artical and like most new platforms that arrive in military aviation, time will define's its roll and how well it does.

Speaking from a maintenance aspect, F-14's are TERRIBLE to work on (AE Rating side of it.)Most of the airwing guys commonly called them flying pieces of sh*t... I've seen maintenance on the F-18E/F models and they by far beat out our own C/D models in regular maintenance. I think a side note should be added to the artical, in Kosovo (Allied Force) the F-18's were the FIRST jets over the border (once the battle group arrived after the AF had started their operations,) with F-14's in tail painting our (our as in my squadron's - VFA) targets. (I'm bias coming from an F/A-18C/D outfit... so disreguard any logical thinking ... LOL)

Oh well, I'll fly a kit if they tell me too, as long as I'm flying!!

"Tally1 - Fox2 -- Good kill! Good kill!"

Valion310 out-

ps- The pic in the artical of the division hitting the tanker, the F-18's are from my old squadron and the F-14 is from our CAG. Kinda neat!! Definitly a pic I saved!

Edited by - Valion310 on 08/05/2002 23:41:52

Dave Shutter

I feel his most valid point is that, while we most likely will not be fighting WWIII with Russia anytime soon, that we still need powerhouse bombers with legs on our flight decks, as Afghanistan is apparently proving. The model of the future threat as the "small third world, rogue neation, brush fire" type war which will only need short range, light bombers and precision munitions is being tested now. To the credit of our people the job is getting done but if we were carrying out the same type of operations under similiar geographic circumstances, against a nation with a more capable air defense network/AF, who was willing to use it, (like say...oh, I don't know...CHINA maybe???) I think it might be a different story. History is full of losers who prepared for the wrong war.

Edited by - Dave Shutter on 08/06/2002 15:10:03

AdamS

I have a great deal of respect for Gillcrist having read a couple of his books, and as some of you know, I am outright hoping to get a Tomcat slot if I manage to make it that far-regardless of personal opinions, if there article is factually correct, then having examined some of the info available about the strikes in Afghanistan I would completley agree with their conclusions. I was under the impression that the F-35 was to enter service with the Navy in 2010, but I guess as shown with the F-22, these things can be delayed quite a bit. I have to believe that if they think we are going to fight primarily in Hornets and SuperHornets without the Tomcat and its interdiction/Phoenix missile capability for at least 10 more years, then maybe we do need a step in the interim.

Status
Not open for further replies.