• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

F-14 Tomcat = Low Speed, High Lift Glider?

Notorious Nate

Thought you folks might appreciate this.

Last September a group of my buddies and I built a Red Bull Flugtag glider that was based on an F-14 Tomcat from VF-84. We took first place in the Dallas event with the farthest distance. I got the privilege of designing this thing and it was a fun challenge to turn an F-14 Tomcat into a low speed, high lift glider.

Here's another video of it: http://link.brightcove.com/services...ThX5rxlidOXNrl1KByT_X4gKA&bctid=2684333654001

Notorious Nate

It would have done a bit better if we could have put the stabilator further back, but we were limited to a 20' length and it was right at that.

Notorious Nate

Hey, we were just glad it got off the ground at running speeds. And it's sort of relatively high lift I guess. The airfoil was a low speed/high lift design.

And you're welcome. It was funny too because this Air Force guy tried to get us to wave this Air Force inflatable thing during our skit to get extra votes, but we turned him down like three times. Told him we were all about the Navy. It made our former P-3 guy really happy.