• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Eyesight and NROTC-marine option

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfk

ok, i just found this website, and love all the info floating around.
but i have some questions...

i'm a college freshman in my first semester, and i'v heard the marines guarantee a spot in flight school. so i wanna get into NROTC, and go the marine option.

the only thing holding me back is my eyesight, 20/40 w/ astigmatism. i wanna get surgery, and then get ahold of a waiver. what are my odds, and when should i get it done?

one more thing, can anyone give me some info on PLC? thx

jfk

and seeing as i'm not already in NROTC, would i have to go for the 2 year program, or can i squeeze into the 4 year. are flight contracts given to 2 year ROTC guys?

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
if the school you are at has a ROTC program, go see the Marine Officer Instructor at the unit. He can give you definitive answers. As far as getting a 4 yrs scholarship... not going to happen, they are not going to reimburse you for schooling that you have already had. You will still be eligable for the contract. Not sure on the eyes, it depends on how bad the astigmatism is, I have some and it was not a problme but it was very minor. Go check out NOMI website they will have all the info you need.

4thgen

I am a MO that is planning on getting PRK, the only eye surgery allowed for aviation, and my eyesite is about 20/100 w/ astigmatism. I am also applying for a flight contract, having passed the ASTB for Marine Aviation. I am pretty sure however that 20/40 is the cut-off for becoming a pilot and no surgery is needed. I could be wrong however. I am almost positive you can get a flight contract w/ a 2 yr scholarship because I know a 2nd LT that obtained one with a 3 yr scholarship.

Status
Not open for further replies.